1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Science questions not worth a thread I: I'm a moron!

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by The Imp, May 4, 2010.

1. dusters

dusters Emperor

That's just the start of it, but thanks. I need to tell why there are 11 dimensions, where do i get that number and why not 12 or 20 dimensions :)

Also - i need to explain why, why and why. Blank facts mean nothing to children.

edit - Read the discussion - realised people overthink stuff. Come on, why would i expect real professors spending time on reddit?

Make it simple, but not simplier - Einstein.

2. uppi

uppi Deity

Four sentences:

3. madviking

madviking north american scum

well, like uppi suggested, no one REALLY understands string theory other than a handful of people.

4. dusters

dusters Emperor

I spent all last night researching what people has to say about string theory from a female point of view. Came up with Lisa Randall and few others.

I do understand it, i'm just trying to fit in the basics (and decide what are these quintessential basics) in attention span of 10 year old girl ( she's extremely gifted or otherwise all this would be a waste of time).

I almost feel like making "i understand string theory and M-theory, I have a unfinished degree in engineering, ask me anything" :D I hope you are joking, madviking. Because M-theory gives some very neat explanations you don't get anywhere else.

If anyone has kids interested in physics and quantum physics i can recommend two animes:

Ergo proxy - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0791205/ (8,1 imdb) (2006)

Serial Experiments Lain - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0500092/?ref_=nv_sr_4 (8,3 imdb) (1998)

5. madviking

sure there are neat explanations, but there's a difference between seeing the results and knowing how you got there.

6. dusters

dusters Emperor

that's why you study this stuff from 8th grade to masters degree until you are a professor ^^

My point is - if you think you know something, try explaining it to kids. If you can't, u don't understand it well enough. So i found myself short of the right words. Therefore i'm heads over heels into physics atm.

7. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

...and then why, why and why?

It might help if you discuss with your 10 year old whether or not an infinite causal chain is possible or whether at some point it can be terminated by a 'just because'.

String theory is merely an explanatory model. No one even knows if it is true yet. So the best answer might be 'we don't know why, but this is the best way of explaining things that anyone has come up with yet.'

8. dusters

dusters Emperor

The wording of that statement is odd. Infinite means not finite, therefore can't be terminated.

However, quantum states don't have set properties, there are only set possibilities. Therefore such discussion would be flawed. It's the old Schrodinger kitty stuff.

True. That's why i'm bothering with it.

9. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

...clearly, so what I mean is to discuss whether the causal chain is infinite or not.

10. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Some infinite things terminate in the sense that they converge. E.g. if I increase a value by that value minus 10% of that value each time (e.g. discount future cash flow by 10% per year) then it eventually converges to 10 times the original value.

11. salty mud

salty mud Deity

How advanced is 3D printing technology right now? And will it have the catastrophic effect on manufacturing industries as I think it will? If these printers can accurately construct anything in a fraction of the time and a fraction of the cost, people are going to lose out.

12. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Why are there so many Greek islands? What's the geological reason for it?

13. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140805-singapore-start-up-unveils-3d-bio-printer-that-prints-living-tissues.html
    Pretty impressive.

14. madviking

15. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Retired Moderator

There are a lot of things 3d printers can't (yet?) do. They aren't a good solution for a lot of mold-processes (think laptop or cellphone cases) are where the surface finish is crucial.

They are limited (so far) to certain raw stock materials.

I don't think their effect will be catastrophic, but certainly somewhat disruptive.

16. salty mud

salty mud Deity

They built houses with them in China. I think their effect will be pretty large. :lol:

17. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Of course that would fly in China.

18. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Retired Moderator

Novelty proof-of-concept stuff in one industry is a far cry from "catastrophic effect on manufacturing" - a totally different endeavor.

I stand by my earlier comment: somewhat disruptive, but not catastrophic. There are a lot of things that this technology is simply not well-suited for.

19. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Yet. People said the internet would never take off. Are you perhaps being too dismissive?

20. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

If 3D printers could produce things in a fraction of the time at a fraction of the cost then it would be hugely beneficial to mankind. If we could produce houses, cars, fridges, TVs, etc etc for 1/10th of the price for example, then being unemployed wouldn't be so bad: you could take your £50 JSA per week (or whatever it is now) and buy £500 worth of stuff with it. Everything would be cheaper, even things that couldn't be directly 3D printed, because things that are required in its manufacture could also be printed more cheaply. E.g. cheap tractors etc would make farming cheaper, bringing down the cost of food.

So yeah, people currently working in industry will lose out, and there will surely be short term pain as people lose their jobs and struggle to find new ones, but in the long run we'll all benefit. Indeed, this has been the trend for the past 50 years or so; there's nothing really new here. The challenges our society will face are the same as they've always been: how do we make sure that people who lose out from increased automation don't suffer too greatly as the economy transitions to an increasingly automated one? Fortunately, these sorts of changes happen gradually enough that we won't suddenly have to feed millions of unemployed, starving families overnight. We can manage the continuing transition through social and economic policy.