science slider!

redstang423

Chieftain
i would like to have better control over how much i put towards science. its too difficult to get exactly what you want. for example, i am stuck in the middle of a game where i am researching Printing Press, but i must make a decision between 40 and 50% spending. at 40%, it will take 8 turns and i'll be making 8 gold per turn. at 50% however, it will only take 5 turns, but i lose 26 per turn! why can't i do 45% to get a happy medium? last tech it was worse... 6 turns, or 11, and it was something like break even or lose 30 something per turn.

i think a better way to control it would be to just specify how many gold per turn you want to put towards science, regardless of total income. this way, if you are just at the cusp between it taking 5 and 6 turns, and your your income goes down slightly, you can still get the 5 turns - you won't be automatically reduced to 6 turns.

First of all, when you said "last tech it was worse...", it's wrong. You had then a differential of 30 golds (0 to -30). With the new one, you have a differential of 34 (8 to -26). Anyway, it doesn't really matter.

You're absolutely right when you say that we should controle science more. My idea was to allocate your scientific points (gold) at will, to different techs that you can research for.

However, if they cannot get to this level of detail, there should definitively be mediums to the actualy scale, like you said. It may not be 1% to 1%, but with 5% by 5%, it will be ok. As in real life, gouverments don't allocated a certain percentage to science, but they finance what they want and how much they want...

I wish they'd also make bigger plus(+) and minus(-) buttons on the slider. Also bigger buttons in other places.

didn't look at it that way...i just looked at worse as in losing more money....

i wish they'd just do away with the percentages in total, because like you say, governments rarely allocate percentages towards certain things. we should be allowed to just allocate however much gold per turn we want (weather its to science or entertainment) and leave it at that. if it brings us to negative income, so be it.

One issue with idea of allocating exact number of gold each turn. Which cities will have provided this income since only some cities get bonuses from library etc.

true...
there goes that idea...

well then i guess it should be fine tuning of the science slider rather than simply factors of 10.

it would be far to annoying and complicated to have to go into each city and change each individual science output if we were to do total gold per turn, correct?

although i think it would be nice to have certain cities be able to focus their income on science or whatever withuot using scientists.

Being able to allocate science percentage in smaller amounts will definatelt solve some part of the problem. There is however still the magical 50% mark where all the fully corrupted cities will determine what their single commerce will go to. Instead of the big change being from 40 to 50% it would be from 49 to 50%.

Top Bottom