1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Science Victory and Rationalism - do they need a rework?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kaspergm, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Greslin

Greslin Chieftain

Exactly. Even when I'm way ahead on tech, it still often comes down to a neck-and-neck race of some kind and I'm adjusting production carefully to pare down every turn. Typically at that point I'm either racing against a military runaway (Greece, China, etc.) or a cultural/diplo powerhouse (Siam or India). Not long ago I lost a SV to Siam's CV by a single turn. That was frustrating. If I'm not feeling the tension in the late game SV race, I bump up the difficulty on the next game. But that's true with any VC.

I find the SV endgame most often tends to be a question of "will I get this finished before Spain starts throwing nukes around?", and the drama revolves around diplo/trade maneuvering and depriving dangerous neighbors of important resources. Not passive by any means, just more strategic and a lot less about open warfare.

2. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That is probably true, although with upcoming changes to Cultural Victory and possibly Diplomatic Victory, that might not quite be true anymore.

Obviously AI coding will always be a challenge, but if we set out standards based on what a poorly coded AI can achieve, things are getting really sad. But then again, I have to say, for me the winning is not really the important part - I will rather lose a fun game than win a boring one. Which is probably also why in the game as it is currently, I normally quit around the time where I hit Modern Era - not because I'm losing, but because I find late game tedious and repetitive.

3. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

How is it possible if you're way ahead in tech?

We'll see. :)

It is what it is. Standards can't be based on goals AI can't achieve either. Civ is not a sandbox game, despite the fact many players prefer to see it this way.

4. Cajamarca

Cajamarca Chieftain

:lol: