Science Victory before the 20th Century

Hey, everyone!

VERY helpful thread! Just wish it would work for me! LOL

How in the world do you get all the way through Chivalry before the first RA goes off at 111??! The only way I was able to do it was set up a RA at turn 75 in addition to the other RAs after that starting at turn 80.

Gold is also a HUGE problem!! I’m playing on Prince, taking the advice here that it would be easier…ok…how is it easier?? lol Still got gold problems…wasn’t able to fund second wave of RAs. Is there some trick that people use??

Also went into unhappiness when I started building more cities (about 3 more) after my initial 2. Much of that had to do with selling off all my luxs to pay for the RAs.

Wow, how the heck do you do this, Vexing?? Is there some exploit or trick to it?

no exploit necessary. i used egypt and aristocracy for burial tombs to solve happiness issues in that particular game.
you'll want to use the great library to bulb education. this means you end up hard building libraries and NC before getting the great library.

you'll want to use the great library to bulb education. this means you end up hard building libraries and NC before getting the great library.

Yh, that's what I do. I even have universities in at least two of my cities before turn 111. Do some of the earlier tech back-fill as you get more advanced ones?? Just not seeing how to get all the techs you need to have completed b4 the first wave of RAs starts firing off. Maybe I have infrastructure problem...??

I prefer building the GL right away and bulb civil service for insta :c5food: and insta GL :c5science: bonuses. It's way less risky and as advantageous as waiting for education.

Here si some benchmarks for sub 200 turns science victories :

Turn 85-90 : Education
Turn 130-135 : Scientific method
Turn 165-170 : Apollo

RAs should start between turn 65 and 70. Preferably around turn 60.

Yh, that's what I do. I even have universities in at least two of my cities before turn 111. Do some of the earlier tech back-fill as you get more advanced ones?? Just not seeing how to get all the techs you need to have completed b4 the first wave of RAs starts firing off. Maybe I have infrastructure problem...??

you need to get the unis up and filled with scientists asap. generally after bulbing education you should be able to build a uni in capital and still have enough time to finish the porcelain tower or hagia sophia -> porcelain tower, though saving the hagia sophia for another scientist may be preferable.

I prefer building the GL right away and bulb civil service for insta :c5food: and insta GL :c5science: bonuses. It's way less risky and as advantageous as waiting for education.

you're missing out on classical era RA prices with that method. it is a risk, but not a great one at prince difficulty.
RAs can begin 80ish and still have enough time for 3 rounds and sub 200.

you're missing out on classical era RA prices with that method. it is a risk, but not a great one at prince difficulty.
RAs can begin 80ish and still have enough time for 3 rounds and sub 200.

You can easily retake the :c5gold: penalty with luxuries or ressources(especially on continent maps) And if you wait too much, you have chances to make RAs with cashless AIs after the 80 turns mark, amking difficult to chain some valuable RAs when the time is come.

Well i prefer this way. I made this for the last G-Minor and it worked well. I jumped in med. era very soon and have waited for AIs to enter class. era before making RAs. In the beginning, AIs can generate :c5gold: for a certain amount of time. Then there is a period where it can be difficult to deal with them because they are broken.

I don't tell that a way is better than another, just that waiting for the GL is not that attractive and is riskier for some levels.

you need to get the unis up and filled with scientists asap. generally after bulbing education you should be able to build a uni in capital and still have enough time to finish the porcelain tower or hagia sophia -> porcelain tower, though saving the hagia sophia for another scientist may be preferable.
QUOTE]

Yeah, I get all that. That's not the problem. The problem is getting all the techs I need finished before the first RA goes off around turn 110. THe typical problem is I have Theology, CS, Edu, Comapass, and Currency done...but not Chiv (I am going by the RA article posted in the War Academy). So my first of 5 RA's is spent getting the rest of that tech.

Should I try sgining the first RA a bit later than turn 80?? Will I still be able to get a victory around turn 200 if I do that?

Yeah, I get all that. That's not the problem. The problem is getting all the techs I need finished before the first RA goes off around turn 110.

it's a way to increase your tech output, so yes, it is addressing your problem.
other things i can think of are have a strong start, eg lots of forests and preferably a few granary tiles for capital, beeline writing, build library, get a cutlural ruin, go liberty -> settler, steal a worker, rush buy a worker, chop forests to complete library in 2nd city and NC...

it'll be tough to complete before 200 if you start much later than 80. you could accept that your first RA is going to get chivalry and potentially start sooner but sign 6 RAs in your first wave... then you need some luck because you're probably signing with a neighbor.

I read in another thread that you can delay your free tech from GL by pressing SHIFT+ENTER. Does this still work?? If so, that would be a great help!!!

Top Bottom