1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Science Victory Strategy (and boasting!) Compendium ツ

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by yung.carl.jung, Nov 23, 2016.

?

what Civ are we playing as?

1. SUMERIA

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. SCYTHIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MACEDON

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. AZTEC

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. GERMANY

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. ROME

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. OTHER (please specify itt)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. paulthebug

paulthebug Chieftain

@ShinigamiKenji, no. Buenos Aires' bonus doesn't count as luxuries for Eagle Warrior. I kept a few up till the end. They can stand up to Medieval wall firing quite well, with the right promotions. Having said so, I'm not sure it was my luck or what, I stopped getting captured worker by Medieval / Renaissance time.

Having played the game till the end (T208 SV @ Emperor), I find that Monty's UA is really quite wacky. Even late at the game, say T130, you can still plant down a pop 1 new city, spend 5 worker charges, and got yourself an instance district. :crazyeye:

ShinigamiKenji likes this.
  2. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji Chieftain

I was wondering if anyone could write a Science Victory guide with all the information we posted here. I don't think I'm qualified enough as I didn't achieve a sub-200 victory yet.

Things like how to open (in general terms), expanding, maximizing production, getting Great People, avoiding traps and best Civs. Some things are a bit counter-intuitive (like culture maybe being a bottleneck instead of Science or Production).

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  3. paulthebug

paulthebug Chieftain

Seconded.

4. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

Update: I've returned home from Korea a few months ago and finally decided to give the new, updated version of Civ VI a spin and I absolutely love it.

Sadly, it seems like the forums are completely dead, they're barely seeing more action than the Civ V or Civ IV forums and that's sad.

So, I just want to ask in general: Is anyone down to compete for victory times again / strategize together / try new builds / discuss civs / openings / specific stragegies?

I see that whacker is still active in the GotM series, I think if we get some participation this thread can kick off again.

Right now I mostly play Alexander / Sumeria and try to cater my maps to the civs -- With zero success. Every single Pangea I roll is divided into two or more parts by literal two to three tiles bottlenecks, often they're settled. It sucks so hard, really ruined the fun for me. I stopped two games becaue I found out T50 that I was never going to see the second half of the continent until very late in the game. Is Fractal better than Pangea in this respect?

My general strategy is still the same: Focus on conquest and infrastructure, build up an army, divide the army and supply each one, conquer the rest of the map and leave a few AIs to coerce gold.

That being said: Now that I am playing again I will take my time to upgrade this guide since a lot of information is just straight-up outdated and useless. Right now I'm swamped with finals. bachelor's thesis and other annoyances, but I'll try my best.

5. playshogi

playshogi Chieftain

I know I often forget about exploring when I'm blocked like this, but getting open borders and sending a scout in to explore is easy if you think about it soon enough, or build galleys, or send scouts in the water to get to the other side.

6. yung.carl.jung

I usually start my first surprise war at around T30 or T40, so often when Ir'm exploring midgame the AI will just refuse to give me OB because they hate me. Yeah, maybe I should be building galleys, but then again it takes 2 techs to research, hammers for a harbor and hammers for the ships themselves.

It's just very odd, things like this never happened in Civ V. Out of literally hundreds of Pangea games I remember one, maybe two, where there was a small bottleneck that divided the Pangea into two halves. In Civ VI this occurs almost every single game. In general I think the map script is complete garbage. I'll try finding an alternative for now. Maybe Hellblazer made one that is good for singleplayer, too.

7. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan Chieftain

@yung.carl.jung
    I'm all in to play together because I'm a Civ V veteran and I really want to achieve great science victories (as it's my favorite way of winning).

I have actually made a thread asking for such stuff, here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lets-talk-deity-dominant-strategies-openings-etc.619959/

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

This confuses me... are you saying that unless you can get easy access to walk all over every civ fast then you give up?
    few tech turns and your units can move by water, whats the big deal?

I am rubbish at what @whacker does but have been practicing but I always play continents because you will always have times you need to move by water. Its important to have that flexibility.

I am also up for discussing strategies

9. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan Chieftain

@Victoria, out of curiosity, what was your fastest Science Victory on Deity and how did you achieve it? Using the latest patch of course.

10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

227 the other day I was exhausted afterward. One of those games when you know things are just going right so you do not want to stop even though the sun is coming up. I know I can do better now, made so many errors, I just do not like restoring.

11. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan Chieftain

I suffer from this as well. I know that in order to play 100% optimally, you need to force yourself to take small breaks every 45' or so. Sometimes you just forget to do that and keep pushing on, therefore flying through specific turns and making mistakes in the process. T227 is pretty good, considering I haven't touched Deity yet and my fastest SV was on Emperor, on T290 (had a T192 Domi Victory with Alex the Great on a Tiny map on Immortal though).

That's where strategizing with other people on the same game comes into play. I don't mind playing a single game with the advice of other players, because I think that's the best way to actually learn. Seeing other people's perspectives, learning stuff from more experienced players, etc.

12. whacker

whacker Chieftain

Awesome to see this thread back in action!
    I am taking a break from civ at the moment but as soon as i have more time/motivation again i would love to share strategies and gameplay again.

JamesCivFan likes this.
  13. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

I have yet to try the chop everything under the sun method but it seems to be very effective. My fastest SV was turn 241 with Brazil so I have a long way to go to get under turn 200. I can never seem to achieve the great starts that the top players like Whacker replicate so consistently. I'm usually struggling to push 50 beakers per turn at turn 100. Archers are just so slow for conquest in the early game. With Scythia or Sumeria I can do it, but I've never actually tried a SV with them.

14. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan Chieftain

Well, I think if we all played a certain game together basically (the ideal would be for a top player to stream it but I guess screenshots work, too), we'd learn opening strats as well as maintaining the momentum these great players seem to always have throughout an entire game. It's all about the correct mindset in order to make the right decisions based on the information you have at hand in any given moment.

15. yung.carl.jung

So this sunday I installed HellBlazers maps (sadly it changes the game a little too much for my taste) because I was exclusively getting Pangeas that were blocked. Rolled three starts, got a decent one and rolled with it. T50 I found out AGAIN that Scythia was literally blocking every way to see the other 2/3rds of the continent. I get open borders from them, next turn I'm denounced and they're gone. Went into a spiral of rage and broke my computer. But no, really, Civ 6 has the worst map script in the history of video games.

HB Map is supposed to GET RID OF chope points, that's one of the main points of the mod. Guess I am just really, really unlucky.

I will however try again next week and share the results with you guys.

Continents are completely asinine and forces you to adapt suboptimal strategies, I hate it and would never willingly play a water map. But that's just my subjective take.

What I was describing was a map where it was literally impossible to find more than 1/4 of the continent unless you beelined straight for Deep Water access. All the coasts were blocked because the only way towards the other 3/4 of the continent was a very, very narrow pass that was already settled ~t20.

As for the rest of your post: Yes, I will willingly drop a map if I find out that it is impossible to explore unless I waste my science on techs I don't need at all. I will also willingly drop a map if the best tile I can work in my starting 5 is a 2 food tiles or anything worse. I will also willingly drop a map if most of the expansions are ass. I will also willingly drop a map if it is littered with hills/mountains/forst/jungle so that conquering is nigh-impossible. This is just what you have to do to get ideal finishing times. Rolling maps isn't all that fun, but making the stars align is :)

16. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

What about "inland sea"?:

https://www.gameskinny.com/w1ge2/all-the-map-types-available-in-civilization-6

inland sea:

pangea:

17. yung.carl.jung

I'll just bold all the things adressing the whole thread, then reply to each poster individually, this should make it easier for everyone.

Is anyone here interested in sharing and playing the same map? I spend a decent amount of time rolling maps and I'm sure some people are not in the mood for that. What I was thinking of was posting a map, posting my write-up and then other people improving my finishing times/ trying out different strats/ giving me (or the other way 'round) advice and so on.

I was thinking about Macedonia/Deity/Standard/Standard, would you all be okay with that? Alternatively I'd play Scythia or Rome/Sumeria/Germany. I don't have too much exp with Aztec so I'll stay away from them.

Really looking forward to playing with you. I'll post in your thread later, too

This is easily my biggest caveat aswell. After some time I just go to the autopilot and mess everything up. I have tried in innumerable ways to get past this but it doesn't ever work. Truly this is the curse of every Civ player.

Hope you'll be back soon, we need you :lol:

In my opinion Sumeria/Scythia/Rome are the top science Civs with Aztec coming in close. I managed to finish a game on t180 (different patch though) as Sumeria, but in that game I had more than 20 cities by turn 100, not easy to replicate.

I think it's sound advice to focus completely mostly warfare the first third of the game, then develop asap and then go into finish mode at least 30 or more turns before you actually want to finish. This is utmost important imo. I myself keep making the mistake of building later game Granaries and stuff like that, but it's simply not worth it.

18. yung.carl.jung

@Arent11

Essentially, this is my rationale behind picking map options:

Easy terrain: Little hills, mountains, jungle, forest, chokepoints
    Lots of Expansion room: Neighbors are close so you can kill them, a lot of land and little water so they settle as much as possible
    Lots of Civs, CS, Strategic and Luxury ressources (This is achieved by using a larger map with water level 'high'. This means that all ressources/CS are more dense, but it also effs up the map in other ways)

So Inland Sea kind of sucks, because there are way less AI cities you can conquer and less space for settling yourself. Otoh it is also nice because there'll be few choke poins. There are of course many more factors to consider, but these are the ones you can manipulate easily via "advanced options"!

19. whacker

whacker Chieftain

Fantastic idea, i`m in. I do not own any of the DLC`s yet, but this might finally be the reason to buy them so any civ would be fine for me.

Lately i have become really fond of Germany. Warmongering is the most efficient as of yet, but i actually am a builder at heart and the Hansa is so overpowered that it easily makes up for the lack of any early game powerspikes. (the +7 vs CS can be very useful though)
    Still i think that with a perfect map layout Aztecs are the best civ on deity. Worker overflow in the earlygame, extremely strong knight/xbow push in the midgame (~+5 strength when hitting mercenaries, only getting better as the game progresses. ) and mass amenities/5 turn districts in the lategame is just the best set of traits you can get without DLC`s.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM
  20. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

I completely agree - Aztecs are insanely good. I always end up just going domination with them - the same issue I have with Scythia and Sumeria. I guess I just need to force myself to stop and go SV. This might be a good opportunity for it.