Science: Which branch of the tree do we want?

Black_Hole

Deity
After we get chivalry, which way on the tech tree do we want to head?
We could head to theology, education, banking, economics.
Or we could to engineering, invention, gunpowder.

What do you guys think?

If we want to use our Samurais to their fullest extent, we should probably get Engineering right away. Other than that, I'm not real sure who has the Great Library and how much of a threat they are to us. I guess I'll check the Culture thread.

Cyc said:
If we want to use our Samurais to their fullest extent, we should probably get Engineering right away. Other than that, I'm not real sure who has the Great Library and how much of a threat they are to us. I guess I'll check the Culture thread.
education does provide universities, and I like universities :D
Banking and Economics are good if we want to bolster our income

P.S. I will have an up to date tech tree in a few mintes(800x800 :D )

Black_Hole said:
education does provide universities, and I like universities :D
Banking and Economics are good if we want to bolster our income

P.S. I will have an up to date tech tree in a few mintes(800x800 :D )
Good point. I would much rather take the upper Branch, as you say, after we get Engineering. The Wonders, universities, and the inexpensive Cathedrals are all worth going after.

By the way, you may want to make that 800 X 600 (or there abouts).

@cyc- Ghandi has the GLib. He's on the other continent and is yet to be found.
I suggest we head to Edu. Samurai can serve as defensive units as well, i think (4.4.2?)
We might not need muskets for a bit, and the AI never goes for Printing Press (especially in Vanilla).
Head up the Edu branch.
SaaM

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
@cyc- Ghandi has the GLib. He's on the other continent and is yet to be found.
I suggest we head to Edu. Samurai can serve as defensive units as well, i think (4.4.2?)
We might not need muskets for a bit, and the AI never goes for Printing Press (especially in Vanilla).
Head up the Edu branch.
SaaM

Oh, but the AI will go for the Printing Press, Stuck. And I don't mean we should automatically go for Gunpowder, but we should get Engineering so that our Samurai may use the full extent of their second turn on our road system. After that, the upper Branch sounds fine. :)

And I found the info in the Culture and Foreign Affairs thread, thanks.

I would say engineering then head STRAIGHT for Military Tradition so we can get cavalry before everyone else. Cavalry will give us a big advantage and the AI usually never researches it straight away.

RegentMan said:
I think that engineering should be first, followed by a general path to economics for Smith's, my favorite wonder.

Why build when you can cap ;)

I think we should go for Democracy. We'll get Cathedrals (Sistine Chapel), Universities and great goverment for research and production. If we get 1st Democracy we'll easily research other techs. We'll probably have a chance to research Music (to get Bach's wonder).

I'm usually playing with democracy even during wars (set luxury to 30%) and research is usually faster then Monarchy (or equal) and corruption is minimal. But thats my playing style.

Why cap when you can build? If we rush for cavalry, Gandhi might add Smith's to his collection. With him building so many wonders, I don't want his fertile empire having free markets, banks, harbors, or airports.

Go with Cavalry after Chivalry.

TimBentley said:
I would say we try to determine what the AI is researching (probably theology before engineering, for example) and try to research something else. Or we could just head to military tradition.

I agree. Research what they don't have and trade for what we want.

I think we should take the path of peace. Personally, I think samurai will be enough to handle the military side of things for a while. The medieval upper path is arguably the most rewarding string of techs in the game (cathedral, univ, bank, not to mention the wonders..). Give peace a chance!

Yes, but make it the Bridge of Peace. :D Engineering first!

I alternate in my games between all out along the top and all out along the bottom, depending on if I'm large enough to push through to Industrialization, or if I really need to gain more territory. I think in our case, if we push the war against Rome far enough, Samurai will be enough to carry us through, so I say yes, Engineering, then straight through the top.

I do think that Engineering will be our next goal. I would say that we should try and get Invention before everyone else so that we can go for LW and get 1/2 priced upgrading. This will benefit our war effort. I would then try and make v-line for Democracy and try to get the Happiness techs and any tech that would give us a wonder. Then we should go for Military Tradition.

Top Bottom