1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scientific Civ and the free tech

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Park Ranger, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Park Ranger

Park Ranger Wonder hog

I was pretty sure this was new to C3C but wanted to get another example before making any claims:

So now it seems with the scientific civ you get to pick your free tech, at least in my case it did, when I was first (of the civs I knew) to finish researching all the req'd Ancient Era techs. I'm pretty sure my civ was first worldwide because a few turns later I traded the Spanish the last tech they needed, and immediately got reports of the "massive barbarian uprising".

So my questions are:

1. Does the scientific civ always get to pick the free tech at the beginning of a new era, or only when they are first to enter the new era?

2. Do you have to be first worldwide, or just among the civs you know?

3. Do you still get to choose your tech if an AI is also done with the previous era but is still researching the first tech of the new era? (ie they are not scientific)?

Just curious because I've been reading posts that suggest people are NOT choosing the free tech for scientific civs, yet twice now I've been allowed to choose.

Another time I noticed when a scientifc Ai followed me (not playing scientific) into the new era they got the exact same tech I'd already researched, suggesting they didn't get to choose.

2. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Regarding all of your questions, I am 99.9999999'% sure that you do not get to choose your free tech. No matter what the circumstances. It is completely random - you were just (un)lucky.

3. Zingo

Zingo Beer

I´ve noticed the same thing, in my last 7 games I have clicked on Steam Power when I enter the new era and I've gotten it all the times. Maybe I should buy a lottery-ticket?

4. Tacit_Exit

Tacit_Exit Chieftain

You should trust the 0.0000001% more often ;) .

I can confirm what Park Ranger says about choosing the free tech (at least pre-1.15; haven't played a Scientific Tribe with the latest patch yet).

You just choose the 'Big Picture' option when you age up and select a tech from the Sci. Advisors screen. If you don't, a tech will be chosen for you randomly. I tried it multiple times from a save and chose different techs each time and got those techs (preserve random seed was ON so it wasn't just an odd co-incedence).

@Park Ranger; you don't need to be the first Tribe to 'age up' to do this; I was third or fourth in this instance. I've been meaning to post in the bugs forum, but I kinda like the way it is now :satan: .

5. Theoden

Theoden Chieftain GOTM Staff

I've heard that you get the cheapest tech in the start of a new era. At least, I've never experienced that i were allowed to choose the tech. At a time I chose feudalism in the start of the middle ages and I got monotheism.

6. Catt

Catt Chieftain

I set up a quick test in the editor the other day to test this after seeing other comments that it had been changed. Under Beta v1.15, at least, the free tech upon entering the age seems to be entirely random.

7. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

From the Civilopedia:

[...] and the civilization receives a free Civilization Advance at the start of every era.

That means, that you would get the cheapest (=easiest available) advance. That is Engineering, IIRC, followed by Monotheism.
    Since the costs for new techs are modified depending on what other nations already got them, this may chance.
    So, if you would be #4 to go to the Middle Ages, and all other nations already got Monotheism, it might have become "cheaper" than Engineering. If you would manually select Monotheism, you would get it, and the very next turn could select another tech, thus giving you the impression that you could choose it.

If you're #1 in tech, prepare for getting Engineering when entering the Middle Ages.

8. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

Commander Bello, it really is random. Test it yourself by turning Preserve Random Seed off and saving the game just before getting the free tech.

In PTW before 1.21 it was broken, in that you would get the same tech nearly every time.

9. watorrey

watorrey Chieftain

Engineering is not the cheapest middle age tech. Feudalism is the cheapest with a base cost of 32. Engineering and Monotheism are both 36.

In all cases where i play scientific i would, a) get the age change notification, b) be asked to choose which tech to research, c) notice that a tech had already been given to me *prior* to being asked to choose a new tech.

It is indeed random. There was a bug in civ3 and i think, early versions of PTW, where you would always get the same tech 90% of the time. Since playing C3C, i can confirm that being in the tech lead for Industrial era i have recieved all 3 techs spread throughout various games and have recieved 3 of the 4 modern techs likewise.

10. Commander Bello

Well, then it is semi-random, since I never noticed to get an ancient age tech when entering the middle ages. AND I never got anything else then just the three starters.

Did YOU ever get an ancient age tech (or better, an old-era tech) when entering the next era?

11. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough. You always get a random free tech chosen from the starting techs of the new era. You never get an optional tech from a previous age.

12. Commander Bello

hmm.. strange...

Maybe it depends on the localised versions, then. I played PTW (1.27) mainly on my laptop, having installed there the German Civ3 as a basis.
    AND I did observe that ressources like cattle and wheat were much more common (with all settings just the same on both machines) than on my desktop (running the English version).

13. watorrey

watorrey Chieftain

No, the free tech is always one of the first set of new age techs.

14. Park Ranger

Park Ranger Wonder hog

Ah, so you think it's a bug? Too bad, especially since now Catt's tests suggest it's fixed under 1.15.

Anyway, probably many players never noticed this because they rarely ask to see the "big picture", and even if you do there's no prompt to pick a tech I just did it and was rewarded with same.