[R&F] Scotland Livestream

It was a pretty uneventful livestream. We basically know everything new about the expansion now, due to Giskler's work. :p
Except where headband guy is from and who he leads.

Except where headband guy is from and who he leads.

Yes, the last major mystery of this expansion.
Hopefully he's not Shaka Zulu, cause he definitely doesn't look like him. :p

You know, in game terms... America was England's first major colony. They didn't know to build the infrastructure properly and didn't understand loyalty flipping. After they had that major revolt and lost, they nailed down Canada, Africa, India, and Australia for another 160 years...

You know, in game terms... America was England's first major colony. They didn't know to build the infrastructure properly and didn't understand loyalty flipping. After they had that major revolt and lost, they nailed down Canada, Africa, India, and Australia for another 160 years...

Don't forget the Caribbean, Guyana, New Zealand, and Belize!

Isn't the Plantation of Ulster considered the dress rehearsal for England's colonial ambitions?

Isn't the Plantation of Ulster considered the dress rehearsal for England's colonial ambitions?

Well Roanoke was intended to be the first colony back in 1585, but that didn't turn out so well.

The Plantation of Ulster was around the same time as the Jamestown settlement, so I'm not sure it counts as a dress rehearsal. It's also not fair to heap all the blame on the English - plenty of the Ulster planters were Scottish. :p

Maybe in a future game there will be a mechanism to "liberate" colonies with some sort of bonus, but yeah, other than America, England has done a pretty solid job with the other colonies. And it's not like there's a RNDY in every city in Canada or the US, either :) Basically, a couple cities like Boston and New York flipped before England understood the loyalty mechanism, and then they cheated and used a great engineer to build the Statue of Liberty to stop other cities from flipping back to England ;)

Maybe in a future game there will be a mechanism to "liberate" colonies with some sort of bonus,

Civ IV tried to do something like that. It didn't work very well in my opinion, just made the game more annoying (turns out players are very reluctant to give up their own cities and resent game mechanics that encourage them to do so).

They did it by increasing the maintenance of cities on other continents to try and make them too expensive to keep, and also allowed you to release them as a vassal state/colony. Which could then in theory gain independence.

still concerned about the spy mission and removing envoy's what downside does it have despite losing a spy (getting killed) do you lose envoys if you lose? like in civ 5 you lose influence if you lose a coup?

If it just getting killed you can just rebuilt it and try again withouth any conequences

Last edited:
While I hope he is native american, particularly native south american, he seems like a really tan European in this view of his leader head (note particularly the seemingly quite curly hair). I could easily see this being Justinian of Byzantium, for example.

I thought from the last stream that he looked very European, and not especially tanned in comparison to the skin tones Firaxis uses for Asian and Native American leaders. From the full facial view I can't find any image of Lautaro that's a very close match. From the little we see of his clothing, the collar looks as though it may be part of a suit of armour (or at least metal).

There are images of several Inca leaders who appear to have somewhat curly hair, but nothing resembling a cloth headband.

After watching all these videos I really just want to play the game for myself. I don't want to wait 2 weeks, what shall I do?

I could break into Firaxis and maybe borrow a copy. Would they mind? It would be worth the plane ticket to fly across the country so I can play 2 weeks earlier. :lol:

The Plantation of Ulster was around the same time as the Jamestown settlement, so I'm not sure it counts as a dress rehearsal. It's also not fair to heap all the blame on the English - plenty of the Ulster planters were Scottish. :p
Then the Scotch-Irish went to the states. And that's partly the reason why I'm here.

Civ IV tried to do something like that. It didn't work very well in my opinion, just made the game more annoying (turns out players are very reluctant to give up their own cities and resent game mechanics that encourage them to do so).

They did it by increasing the maintenance of cities on other continents to try and make them too expensive to keep, and also allowed you to release them as a vassal state/colony. Which could then in theory gain independence.

Yeah, I remember. All that it really ended up accomplishing was cutting down on micromanagement.

Noticed you can still declare war a joint war withouth both players denouncing the target so its bassicly a suprise war who is formal war.

They need to change that really fast that you can only accept a joint war if you and the Ai denounced the target

and if they don't, maybe *someone* else will use that idea.

Wouldn't be too hard ot make something like this, given that it's clear you can easily use Modifiers to modify loyalty pressure.

So.

If your city is on foreign continent and is X tiles away from a city with a Palace.

-5 loyalty or something.

Noticed you can still declare war a joint war withouth both players denouncing the target so its bassicly a suprise war who is formal war.

They need to change that really fast that you can only accept a joint war if you and the Ai denounced the target

I don't think they actually declared a joint war since the game was bugged. They may be working on fixing joint war as we speak. It ended up just being a formal war I believe.

Top Bottom