Scottish independence

Flower of Scotland is the unofficial anthem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR6QIYEXCp0
(1 minute in)

The UK establishment will never let the Scots leave. Although most English are told that they subsidize Scotland, in reality Scotland is a great cash cow for the United Kingdom and its loss would be politically and financially catastrophic for them. They probably would try to stop it by hook or by crook, but in reality they probably won't need to do anything too bad as the Scots probably won't vote for independence in a referendum.

Would independence really gain anything beyond maybe a moral victory, if anything?

If the UK loses its hat, then it might as well just goosestep with the EU, no?

You already have separate national soccer teams. Anything else is mere formality.

Would independence really gain anything beyond maybe a moral victory, if anything?

This was my assumption, Scotland like England will still have to adhere to European directives. So the scope of what Scotland can actually legislate for is reduced in the event of a so-called "independence". Just look at Ireland and how it gets bullied around by EU bosses AND the IMF hardly an independent nation ;)

I support Scottish independence. :)

Spoiler :
...if they can defeat the British Army and/or Britain supports their independence. Might makes right I'm afraid! ;)

Nah. The UK would lose 10% population and c. 7% gdp.

The bloody important thing is that we would become slightly behind France on lots of metrics rather than slightly ahead, and that simply cannot happen. And we would be stuck with the Tories forever.

In real terms there would still be no meaningful border, just like with the Republic. Just a non-border with less buggers with guns.

I think Wales is the one part not represented at all. Which is hilarious.

Yes. Wales is not represented, because during the reign of Henry VIII Wales was incorporated into the English crown. Welsh courts and laws were abolished, and the language was removed in legal and political matters. It literally became part of England and was considered as such until very recently. So technically it has representation under St. George's Cross, although thanks to Welsh Nationalism revival in the 60s much of this has changed, and there are Welshmen who demand representation on the Jack. I've seen a number of suggestions, and they are all hideous:

this one, which incorporate the Cross of Saint Dafydd

Although my personal favorite (which I saw like 5 years ago, but can't find anymore) featured a giant Ddraig Gogh taking up like 95% of the image with an itty bitty union jack in the top left corner.

So basically the Welsh killed any chance of representation on the flag by choosing the most unaesthetic design ever.

So basically the Welsh killed any chance of representation on the flag by choosing the most unaesthetic design ever.

It's the Welsh, what do you expect. Have you seen their clothes?

It's the Union Flag. It's only ever the Union Jack if it's at sea.

I think England and Scotland should decide who gets to control it by holding annual martial arts tournaments (to the death). If you get ten straight victories, you gain control of the territory.

Hmm... Cameron could be forever remembered as the PM who lost Scotland. A somewhat pleasing thought.

Economically Scotland would be screwed as without us. The flag would be a tricky issue!

Not necessarily; they would still be eligible for EU funding.

I think England and Scotland should decide who gets to control it by holding annual martial arts tournaments (to the death). If you get ten straight victories, you gain control of the territory.

My money's on McKano.

We want to keep this British. Boxing, Lancanshire, Scottish, Northumbrian (please no Northumbrian wrestlers), Cornish and Collar and Elbow Wrestling only.

Flower of Scotland is the unofficial anthem<snip>
I found the lyrics a bit meek and gloomy for a national anthem. The autumn leaves lies over a land that is lost and the wee bit of hill is bare etc. It picks up at the end, but still.
Spoiler Lyrics, Flower of Scotland :
O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

The Hills are bare now,
And Autumn leaves
lie thick and still,
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held,
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

Those days are past now,
And in the past
they must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be the nation again,
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

0 Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

While searching for the lyrics I stumbled upon this story regarding proud Edward's army :)
Spoiler :
Edward Longshanks comes to Scotland to conquer the Scots. He brings 4,000 men with him.
As he nears the battlefield there suddenly appears a solitary figure on the crest of the hill. A short, ginger-haired guy in a kilt.

'Hammer O the Scots?' yells the wee Scottish guy on the hill. 'Come up here, ye English b*st*rds, and I'll give ye a hammerin'!'

Edward turns to his commander. 'Send 20 men to deal with that little Scottish upstart,' he says.

The commander sends 20 of his best men over the hill to kill the Scotsman. Ten minutes later, at the crest of the hill, the wee Scot appears again.

'Ye English diddies!' he yells. 'Come on the rest of ye!! Come on, I'll have ye all!'

Edward is getting somewhat annoyed. He turns to his commander. 'Send 100 men to kill that little guttersnipe!'

The commander sends 100 men over the hill to do the job. Ten minutes later, the wee Scot appears at the top of the hill once more, his hair all sticking up, his shirt a wee bit torn.

'Ye English SCUM!' he yells.. 'I'm just warming up!! Come and get me, ye English sh*te!!'

Edward losses patience. 'Commander, take 400 men and personally WIPE HIM OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH!' he yells. The commander gulps, but leads 400 men on horseback over the crest of the hill.

Ten minutes later, the wee Scotsman is back. His clothing is all torn, his face is covered in blood and snot.

'Is that the best ye can do??? Ye'r bloody WUMMIN!!! Come on!! Come and have a go, ye bunch of English sh*te!!!' he yells.

Edward turns to his second in command. 'Take 1,000 men over that hill and don't come back till you've killed him!' he commands. The second in command gathers the men and they ride off over the hill to their fate. Ten minutes later, one of the English troops appears back at the top of the hill. He's covered in blood and his clothes are all torn.

'Your Majesty!' he yells. 'It's a trap.................There's TWO of them!!!'

Top Bottom