Scottish independence

Yes. Wales is not represented, because during the reign of Henry VIII Wales was incorporated into the English crown. Welsh courts and laws were abolished, and the language was removed in legal and political matters. It literally became part of England and was considered as such until very recently.
And iirc Henry was after all a Tewdwr, weird English spelling as Tudor, nice family from Deheubarth originally (descendants of Rhodri the Great, or so Wikipedia tells me), and so probably though Wales to be his to do as he liked with anyway.:scan:;)

And iirc Henry was after all a Tewdwr, weird English spelling as Tudor, nice family from Deheubarth originally (descendants of Rhodri the Great, or so Wikipedia tells me), and so probably though Wales to be his to do as he liked with anyway.:scan:;)

Well yes, but not for the reasons you're thinking. The dude pulled the same shtick on Ireland, and to call Henry VIII Welsh because of his family name is hilarious. As for descent from Rhodri, whether or not it's true, you generally have to take those kinds of claims with a grain of salt as every Welshman and his mother claims things like those (and if it's not Rhodri mawr, then it's Llywelyn fawr, Llywelyn the last, or Owain Glyn dwr...or, failing those, then there's always Arthur as a fallback...)

MAY THE LIGHTHOUSE OF THE GLORIOUS SECESSIONISM GUIDE YOU SCOTLAND!

Thanks Beligium and Scotland for showing the world the problem of the outdated borders in western Europe.

"Outdated borders" coming from a Catalan separatist? Do you even comprehend the concept of irony?

"Outdated borders" coming from a Catalan separatist? Do you even comprehend the concept of irony?

Have you read anything on that topic that I've been writing for the last 4 years?

Yes, the borders of the UK, France and Spain are outdated borders because they only show long gone empires.

It would be an Empire if we named ourselves Greater England. But no we're the United Kingdom or Great Britain and Northen Ireland. We recognise we're a series of diferent nations.

But it's Britain and Northern Island. ;) And since "British" is understood to mean "English," the Scots and Welsh naturally aren't happy.

Maybe they'd be happy if it was the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland?

I mean, really, it'd be nice if everyone in Albion would call themselves British - since after all, it really just means of the island of Britain, which all three groups are on - but maybe that would appease them?

It would be an Empire if we named ourselves Greater England. But no we're the United Kingdom or Great Britain and Northen Ireland. We recognise we're a series of diferent nations.

Which means nothing given your (and with you I mean you Englishmen, not you personally) repulsively "paternalistic" behavior when we bring the money from oil up. You people literally steal the scottish money and you want them to thank you for that. That's the exact same behavior the British Empire showed around the world.

Everything is owned by individuals, not groups. Unless we're going into some strange communist nationalism.

The Scots would not own the wealth if they became independent. A few Scots would and everyone else would be left in the dirt. How is that any better?

You replace one group of elites with another, but now have a feel good feeling because the elites are native.

Why not increase social mobility so everyone in the united nation, Scottish or English, has a chance to become one of those elites, instead? :)

A much better pursuit than chopping the world up more.

Would they keep the queen and be like New Zealand? or become the republic of Scotland, would England still be called Britain or just back to England? Who gets the nukes?

What if Scotland stays in the union and England leaves?

We all know its really just england and its friends. I think they should change the name from the united kindom of great britian and northern ireland to England and pals.

But it's Britain and Northern Island. ;) And since "British" is understood to mean "English," the Scots and Welsh naturally aren't happy.

Maybe they'd be happy if it was the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland?

I mean, really, it'd be nice if everyone in Albion would call themselves British - since after all, it really just means of the island of Britain, which all three groups are on - but maybe that would appease them?

British isn't meant to mean English, English is meant to mean English. Britain refers to the British isles and all the people living there.

Which means nothing given your (and with you I mean you Englishmen, not you personally) repulsively "paternalistic" behavior when we bring the money from oil up. You people literally steal the scottish money and you want them to thank you for that. That's the exact same behavior the British Empire showed around the world.

Scottish students get free university education in England we have to pay (and the fees are tripling soon ONLY in England).
Scots get free prescription drugs, the ENG have to pay a part of it.

The "West Lothian" question means the Welsh, Scots and NI get more public money spent on there nations then in ENG.

Actually I kinda like the second suggestion for the Wales-including Union Flag (the one with the rectangular yellow cross).

If some Scots decide they want independence, will NATO provide a no-fly zone and try to assassinate the prime minister?:mischief:

Given that the SNP have a majority, I'd be stunned if Salmond didn't demand a referendum on independence - after all, the clue is in the name of the party, and in their basic constitution. No-one who voted for them can be under any illusion what the key goal of the party is. What will be very interesting will be Cameron's response. If he forsakes Scotland, then he probably secures a right wing government in England for 10 to 15 years. Equally, I can't see how he can legitimately refuse such a request from a democratic perspective. On the other hand, the Conservatives are fundamentally a Unionist party, and I doubt he can keep his party happy with agreeing to such a referendum on independence.

Salmond will surely push for something in this Westminster government's term - it's an ideal time to make the case that Scotland is not governed according to the wishes of Scots (and I do realise the counter arguments, but I think the current Westminster coalition's behaviour is going to make the pro-independence's sides arguments for them).

I actually suspect that the Scots will vote "no" - the big money will (just as in the AV vote) be behind the "no" campaign, and a big appeal to Scottish protestants to their unionism could be very effective (just look at the number of union flags waved at every Rangers home game - there is a sentiment there to be tapped into).

Personally, I think they should vote for independence. Every time I go back it's more and more clear that Scotland regards itself as a separate nation, prides itself on having a separate culture, and politically and socially is miles to the left of the rump of English voters. Might as well have an independent Scotland, still within the EC, and quite possibly using the Euro.

Top Bottom