1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish independence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Quackers, May 6, 2011.

1. Oerdin

Oerdin Deity

My father and grandparents are from Scotland and even I think Scottish Independence is a ******** idea. The SNP claimed an independent Scotland could be economically based on North Sea Oil and international banking. The oil will be out in 20-30 years while just about every country in international banking got hung by the balls two years ago so something tells me that isn't the most sound basis for a national economy (just look how that turned out for Ireland and Iceland).

2. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

First result for "alex salmond trident" google

And he bloody well did go on the Today show to campaign on keeping the Trident sub-pens open.

3. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Faslane is an embarrassing issue for Salmond. Like Clegg is finding out, it's far harder actually being in power than having the perpetual status of outsiders and the freedom to carp incessantly which that provides.

4. Lambert Simnel

I love the "even I" in that post... You're fully entitled to your view, and you're welcome to make it, but don't pretend that having Scottish ancestry somehow gives you some greater insight, or that your rejection of independence is somehow more noteworthy as a result. :)

5. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

The Telegraph is always very hostile to the SNP, but you must read the details here. :)

6. GinandTonic

Yeah thats the bottom line. They sent the biggest gun to defend their u-turn on the today show because it is a blatantly hypocritical and intellectually incoherent position. He made a better fist of it than might be expected.

7. Mad Man

Mad Man Your lord and master

Scotland should declare independence regardless of the stupid election, if South Sudan (A place that lacks a real name) then why shouldn't Scotland? Scotland would make a excellent country my only concern would be who's going to inherit the nuclear weapons?

8. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Because the UK hasn't had an unresolved civil war???

9. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Definitely not Scotland. Whatever state that England is in will be the legal successor state, and will inherent the place on the UNSC and so on. Scotland will cheerfully be told by the rest of the world "either hand the nukes over to London or forget about getting in the UN, EU, WTO, so on and so on" and the Scots will say "Of course!!! We'd be mad not to".

10. Ingvina Freyr

Ingvina Freyr wants a Steamfree option

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that Scotland would become independent. What would happen? What would be different from how it is today do you* think?

*anyone with insight.

11. Veles

Veles ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

Independant Scotland would be an awesome thing. A whole new kintrae with cool flag and pipes in EU.

Also, they will have to give six counties back to Eire in this case.

But on the second thought, we need more unity in the world, ideally some kind of sensible world government, not new division.

12. Veles

Veles ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

Hardly anything. They'd probably institute some new pompous ceremonials involving kilts and pipes, revive their version of anglo-saxon language, introduce visas with Sasanahs and all that.

Fat cats will perhaps get a bigger share of oil revenue.

Ordinary people wouldn't feel any difference.

13. GinandTonic

At least the bombs would be in Dublin not London, but thats hardly a good thing.

14. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Did you read the details like I said? Basically, the Telegraph's presentation was misrepresenting agency: deliberately mixing Salmond's role as head of the SNP and figurehead of the "cross-party submission". It tries to confuse its readers, but a worldly reader can work out even from the article that Salmond did not change his position. The demands you are talking about were part of a "cross-party submission" which he as First Minister submitted. He was leading a minority administration and the submission was on behalf of the parliament not of the party.

15. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

Would Scotland really be independent anyway since Queen Elizabeth would still hold both Crowns in personal union and I doubt she would be enthusiastic about giving up the Crown of Scotland.

Maybe she could seperate both crowns and pass the Scottish crown to a different heir that would be acceptable to the Scottish.

16. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I'm preparing my resume right now. Just in case.

17. GinandTonic

I listened to the words from his own mouth, live on the Today show. I really dont see why you are having such trouble grasping this :confused:

Salmon was on the UK's premier opinion forming platform calling for the continuation of Trident, repudiating his former assertions. He very much went out of his way to campaign for Trident on the highest podium he could access. I understand he did this because of the economic good for Scotland. That was my original point about pork.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

You mean Scotland will take away all those horrible places where people say it's 'gardening' but it' really a lot of pot plants? Goodie.
    Braveheart sucks, a good part of Scotland might vote yes to an independence referendum but most of them are lazy so they won't.

I support independence… that way you silly Ingerlish will stop going north and living in places called 'my latrine' of all things.
    Yep. You can keep Northern Ireland for yourselves.
    It bain't nae England, tha' be Sasainn!
    :rotfl: Indeed.
    We could have a Scottish pound with the face of His Higness Kan I of the house of Sharuminar in the ten-and-a-half pound bill.

Bolded: which side of the Old Firm do you support again?

19. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

That works.

The one that can't beat Caley, apparently...

20. Lambert Simnel

Do you have a transcript or a link? That would put this one to bed. I thought he still claimed he was opposed to Trident, but in favour of retaining Faslane as an operational naval base, and all of the jobs associated with that. I think that viewpoint is suspect, and is vulnerable when looked at in detail, but I thought was still the balancing act he was trying to pull off - "take away the nukes, but leave the subs & the jobs".