1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCOTUS - Supreme Court of the United States

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

a pathological desire to be a victim

2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Estebonrober likes this.
  3. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

18 thousand posts summarized by two liars. :thumbsup::smoke:

4. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Yep a logical pick. She doesn’t have the expected tenure but the GOP won’t care. She is a guaranteed vote for all thei pet projects for possibly fifty years.

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Looks like Owen (can't remember what he goes by now), @Timsup2nothin, and myself were wrong - it does seem certain that McConnell is going to try and ram Barrett through the senate before the election and not even wait for the lame duck session.

They're saying that if Mark Kelly won, because his is technically a special election, that he could very well be seated during the lame duck session and thereby cut into the GOP margin to confirm by one. But even if Collins and Murkowski voted no along with Kelly, as long as Romney is in the affirmative I think the GOP has the votes regardless. I guess this is why McConnell is moving through with this now - he still has the votes even without Collins and Murkowski and he doesn't want to risk a sure thing by waiting.

Has Biden softened his 'no court packing' stance at all? I'm getting pretty frustrated with the Democrats inability to play the game the same way the GOP has.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  6. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

The Republicans clearly want a 6:3 conservative majority on Scotus
    in case the 2020 election becomes similar to the 2000 election.

7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Biden has slightly softened his stance, not that it really matters if the Republican majority on the court backs Trump

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

This is flawed. The current 5:3 majority is no different from a 6:3 majority.
    Yes, the special election results apply immediately cut one off the GOP majority, which is meaningless. If Trump loses and/or control of the Senate is lost that one seat will not stop the GOP from ramming through consent in the lame duck session.

However, the ONLY thing suggesting certainty about this confirmation before the election rather than during the lame duck session bit is that McConnell says so. Pro tip: Assume McConnell is lying.

Politically, in virtually EVERY senate race, a confirmation vote during the lame duck session is better than a vote in October. EVERY SINGLE ONE. McConnell can spew whatever he wants, but that isn't something he is going to ignore. He is going to TALK about getting it done, then find reasons to blame the Democrats when it DOESN'T get done.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Trump's strategy is to maximize controversy and thus mobilize his base. And whenever hates the democrats. I guess the best way to get a reaction is to appoint a very conservative judge and make a show of ramming her through... makes sense.
    Mind you, it will make even more sense to have a circus in the senate right up to election day, if the democrats oblige.

Biden, or his handlers anyway, can see the trap and are trying to evade it. But will the media and his own "base" allow it? I don't think so.

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

That's fair but there's not really any difference between a pre-election and a lame duck appointment. I think a whopping in the election will only motivate them to get it done rather than mollify them about the consequences. And if there is no whopping, it doesn't matter at all whatsoever.

11. Farm Boy

Court packing is not in the same ballpark as before. Court packing is worse than gerrymandering. Court packing makes the EC and the Senate have nearly direct control over the entire judicial branch. It's really fantastically stupid.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Were you against McConnell stealing Obama's appointment in 2016?

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Oh, yeah they are gonna ram this through in November. That's a given.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

You don't think Trump will browbeat McConnel into just doing it ASAP?

15. Farm Boy

I didn't love it, no. Nuclear option was stupider because it made exactly this escalation in stupid more likely.

But it doesn't matter if anyone liked it or not. Think it through. Packing the court gives control over the federal courts to the electoral college and the Senate by simple majority.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

No. McConnell isn't stupid. He'll just tell Trump "it's the Democrats fault" and since Trump IS stupid the fact that there is nothing the Democrats can actually do to stop it will be totally lost on Trump. Trump will rail at the Democrats and as long as no reporters ask "how exactly are the Democrats doing that" it will all be fine for McConnell.

17. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

How is this not the case right now? Can you explain? For me we are already at that point. Court packing is a response to this new reality.

18. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

People have died in these riots and I see cops who enable bad cops in the same vein as BLM and Antifa protesters who enable riots. That doesn't mean all cops and all protesters are bastards, it means the ones who enable immoral behavior are culpable.

So vote for Joe Biden because he aint a fascist. For most people it's a choice between 2 parties that suck so bad the debate is about lesser evils. Right now that lesser evil is Trump, if anyone doubts that, look at the graveyards left by both. Biden's been killing people for decades.

Here's an idea if you think fascism is bad, dont vote for a mass murderer. If more people did that maybe our corporate overlords would produce more peaceful leaders for us to choose from.

I guess it depends on how we define 'quite a bit' because I think thats nonsense, but I dont care who the instigators are. If I attend a protest and a riot breaks out and people are hurt or killed and neighborhood stores are destroyed (hey, gotta hurt the people who dont show up too, right) I'm not going back for the next protest. I'd already feel bad for my participation in the one that did turn violent.
    Find a peaceful way to protest. If you cant, dont protest.

So the 'rabble' wants the liberty to destroy mine? Sounds like slave owners demanding the freedom to own people as property. Well, rioters destroying people's life work is akin to slavery I guess. If I spent 4 decades building a business and you torched it you'd be robbing me of my labor.

People have the right to protest, they dont have the right to destroy neighborhoods. Nobody died during the tiki torch protest nor was the neighborhood looted and burned so thats an easy call. If I was at Charlottesville and it dont matter which side, I'd feel morally culpable for the violence. Maybe God would forgive me if I didn't know a riot was on the menu and I wasn't in there banging heads, but if I continued attending violent protests I cant tell God I didn't know. I'd tell him it was the woman HE gave me. Testosterone pumping he-men saving the world to impress the ladies.

There are differences between BLM/Antifa and Charlottesville, the 'alt right' was attacked by Antifa so other than the murderer moral culpability lies more with Antifa (3 people died that day). Another is we didn't see a Unite the Right II and III and so on whereas BLM continues hosting riots. Many people at Charlottesville probably felt bad about what happened and found other pursuits.

If the KKK toppled statues of abolitionists I wouldn't describe it as a peaceful protest. But wouldn't you have to if statue toppling is peaceful?

The property being destroyed in these riots is owned by innocent people. The KKK destroys people's property, BLM destroys people's property, Antifa destroys people's property. Enabling BLM and Antifa enables the KKK.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    bernie14 likes this.
  19. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

For those concerned about packing, why not simply strike out against the pre-eminent power of judicial review, something Lincoln and Republicans were quite fond of? While he's no democratic revolutionary, and the context of the article 121 was garbage, your could take a page out of Mahathir in Malaysia

"Subject to any limitations imposed by or under federal law,
    any order, decree, judgment or process of the courts referred to
    in Clause (1) or of any judge thereof shall (so far as its nature
    permits) have full force and effect according to its tenor throughout
    the Federation"

If our end goal is more democracy, then reigning I'm judicial review by granting the more democratic legislative branch the ability to overpower it via law seems eminently reasonable. We've seen it in the US before, but we're increasingly beholden to accepting judicial review as final. It doesn't have to be.

20. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator