SCOTUS - Supreme Court of the United States

I think that's what my nephew thought, and that's why he asked the question.

Yeah. Some of the earliest enduring structures for a reason. We need our bedrock.

That was Lincoln's position, the Republicans in Congress argued that the Southern States had lost their statehood by seceding, and that it was up to Congress to determine what was required for the former states to rejoin the union.

I'm going to go out on a limb and float the idea that it's a generally good rule of thumb to take Lincoln's word over that of Republicans'.

I'm going to further amend that sentiment to specify that you ignore the entire thing about suspending the writ of habeas corpus. I don't want to be quite that openly China. At least make them dress it up a shade. Put a nice skirtrobe on it. Preferably a robe with some balls to it, like RBGs balls. Well, you know. I think.

Yeah. Some of the earliest enduring structures for a reason. We need our bedrock.

I'm going to go out on a limb and float the idea that it's a generally good rule of thumb to take Lincoln's word over that of Republicans'.

I'm going to further amend that sentiment to specify that you ignore the entire thing about suspending the writ of habeas corpus. I don't want to be quite that openly China. At least make them dress it up a shade. Put a nice skirtrobe on it. Preferably a robe with some balls to it, like RBGs balls. Well, you know. I think.

Lincoln suffered from the same problem as Obama. He assumed that by acting reasonably and moderately he might encourage his opponents to do the same. Didn't work with the Southern states then and hasn't worked with the Republicans recently.

Yeah, probably none better than that. Maybe reference the whole stones and grass thing to get around the "just a muddy hole" part. The youngster may not have realized the stones represented other people so it wasn't like a uniquely poor proposition...it really just is what we do...with everyone.
It was the dead of winter in Connecticut, so no grass and all the stones were mostly buried in snow... speaking of which, the retired Vets that came to give him his last rights stood out there in waist deep snow to play the bugle and give Dad a 21 shot salute. I really appreciated that. They even collected the shells and gave them to my brother. I got the flag. It's behind glass in my house, and it looks nice, but I'd rather have my Dad back TBH.

lol @ Hamid.H suddenly being labelled a Trump supporter. Someone must have hacked his account if he is. He used to write diatribes against him all the time and you loved him then. How fickle CFC is.

lol @ Hamid.H suddenly being labelled a Trump supporter. Someone must have hacked his account if he is. He used to write diatribes against him all the time and you loved him then. How fickle CFC is.

Hey, I certainly didn't love him. His adulation of the shah was a giveaway for his future support of a 'strongman' like Trump and even his supposed support of "Bernie" was mostly limited to diatribes against Biden and Pelosi, his one consistant feature.

What did I lie about?

You mischaracterized the quote after being instructed on its appropriate characterization.

Well, thanks for not calling me a liar for quoting him I guess. His argument was this woman can still be a racist because white colonizers took black babies to hide their racism. Why is that a fair comparison and why is it lying to quote him making it? Did he accuse these Hollywood celebs who adopt multi-racial families of hiding their racism like those evil white colonizers?

I think his 'rebuttal' detached humanity from her, turned a sacrifice few people make into evil for the sake of political partisanship. I dont know much about her but if I opposed her nomination I wouldn't point at adopted black babies. That message is people shouldn't adopt babies from other races and that wont make the world a better place.

His argument was not this at all, it was that her having adopted black children does not automatically make her "not a racist". I saw on a thread somewhere today someone try to bring up "No one talked smack about Angelina Jolie or such and such when they adopted African children!". . . Yea yea they did and loudly as I recall.

The 14th amendment and her handmaid's tale cult seem better places to smear her yes I agree on that front.

For his exception to be relevant the nominee must share the same motive, thats the comparison he made. This is politics 101, turn your opponent's strength into a weakness. Bush 43 avoided Vietnam, John Kerry was there. So he was Swiftboated.

I didn't say he should be fired, just the opposite. That would limit his free speech (and ours).

This is dumb because it does not actually reflect the point he was making. I made that point clearer for you when I pointed out I have personally heard the parents of adopted black children state they have to "teach the black out of them" thereby showing their indoctrinated racial animus even though they loved their children. Life is never as simple as you think. . .

Someone beat me to it, but having read Team of Rivals fairly recently about Lincoln, I would offer that Lincoln was really a great moderate. So I'd take whatever Congress' take on it at the time was as more real.

I've only ever seen him defend insanely bad things basically world wide so . . .not sure about his loathing of Trump. He seems to like all the other "strong (read: pathetically mentally and emotionally inferior)" types.

Gonna keep beating this drum: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/po...reme-court-justice-constitution-ryan-doerfler

Even among other common law, judicial review countries, the US SCOTUS power is absolutely an extreme. Most have some sort of legislative ability regarding federal level legislation to have some say over. In fact, you don't even have to look at other countries; lots of states have judicial review at the state level that is nerfed by legislative capability. This is absolutely ridiculous that our least democratic institution is the most powerful when compared to it's international peers.

So let me get this straight. The counterpoint is essentially that Lincoln would be naive of partisan ignorance?

The man grew up illiterate. He fought a war he accurately knew to be fundamentally about ownership of humans as chattel property. He'd been in law for decades. I think Lincoln looked at people and mostly saw what was there. No, I don't think he would have expected that we would be ruled by the better angels of our nature by this point. But I think he also knew that appealing to them serves a necessity of character.

So let me get this straight. The counterpoint is essentially that Lincoln would be naive of partisan ignorance?

The man grew up illiterate. He fought a war he accurately knew to be fundamentally about ownership of humans as chattel property. He'd been in law for decades. I think Lincoln looked at people and mostly saw what was there. No, I don't think he would have expected that we would be ruled by the better angels of our nature by this point. But I think he also knew that appealing to them serves a necessity of character.

I admire Lincoln, I'd love to think that his desire to compromise would result in moderation from his opponents. Instead they murdered him.
I'm a moderate, I prefer reform to revolution, but it only works if conservatives accept it when it goes against them.

Lincoln was revolutionary. What came after was not what was before. There wasn't *surprise* death there at the end. The nation had been swimming in the failure to compromise, unwillingness to compromise. What came was enough different there was a whole lot of killing over it and everything. No, I think he believed the tools of democratic government were one of the best hopes for greater human freedom. A better hope on average than the sword and rifle, for certain.

I mean, once he started referring to the "Jewish press", which Lexicus linked to somewhere around here, any benefit of the doubt he would be given as having idiosyncratic views basically went out the window.

Lincoln was revolutionary. What came after was not what was before. There wasn't *surprise* death there at the end. The nation had been swimming in the failure to compromise, unwillingness to compromise. What came was enough different there was a whole lot of killing over it and everything. No, I think he believed the tools of democratic government were one of the best hopes for greater human freedom. A better hope on average than the sword and rifle, for certain.
Those tools of democratic government the GOP has been showing such faith in recently?

I mean, once he started referring to the "Jewish press", which Lexicus linked to somewhere around here, any benefit of the doubt he would be given as having idiosyncratic views basically went out the window.

Not really the point. My point was he wrote quite a few explicitly anti-Trump spiels, but now he's being labelled as a Trump supporter. Seems unlikely to me.

The failure to compromise had been entirely down to one side. Basically real compromise wasn't possible but time and time again the liberals had compromised and as usual the conservatives had demanded more slavery extended to more states slavery ownership laws extended to states where slavery was illegal. Lincoln wasn't revolutionary, he was just forced into a position when he couldn't compromise any more.

Not really the point. My point was he wrote quite a few explicitly anti-Trump spiels, but now he's being labelled as a Trump supporter. Seems unlikely to me.

You don't think his own statements in support of Trump should result in his being regarded as a Trump supporter?
Whatever his claims to have been a Bernie supporter hes now openly advocating supporting Trump.

I'd say he is more just a supporter of chaos...he's gone from "Bernie was robbed" (indirectly supporting Trump) to "mail in voting is probably fraud" (indirectly supporting Trump) but realistically some people just want to see the world burn so they end up appearing to be in more agreement the D'umpster fire than they probably are. He's probably not particularly for anything.

He certainly would have done this yes. I was jsut saying that the tenor of the time was not Lincoln's to own by himself.

You mischaracterized the quote after being instructed on its appropriate characterization.

No I didn't

His argument was not this at all, it was that her having adopted black children does not automatically make her "not a racist". I saw on a thread somewhere today someone try to bring up "No one talked smack about Angelina Jolie or such and such when they adopted African children!". . . Yea yea they did and loudly as I recall.

Did this guy talk smack about Jolie? What was his evidence for that argument? White colonizers adopted black babies to hide their racism. Did they really? And therefore this woman might be racist because white colonizers hid their racism by adopting black children. Thats his argument.

This is dumb because it does not actually reflect the point he was making. I made that point clearer for you when I pointed out I have personally heard the parents of adopted black children state they have to "teach the black out of them" thereby showing their indoctrinated racial animus even though they loved their children. Life is never as simple as you think. . .

And therefore this woman adopted 2 black children to hide her racism.

Someone is bothering to publish serious arguments on the issue of this appointment. I don't expect they'll get much public or political attention.

Someone is bothering to publish serious arguments on the issue of this appointment. I don't expect they'll get much public or political attention.
Because no argument the Democrats can make will work in persuading voters (congresscritters are a lost cause). They did try hitting Gorsuch and Kavanaugh on their judicial record in terms of worker rights. I don't remember which one, but one was hit by the Democrats for ruling a company was justified in firing an employee who was late making a delivery, despite a snowstorm making the roads to dangerous to drive on. It got absolutely no traction whatsoever; not even from the alt-left news sources.

Top Bottom