SCOTUS - Supreme Court of the United States

No I didn't

Did this guy talk smack about Jolie? What was his evidence for that argument? White colonizers adopted black babies to hide their racism. Did they really? And therefore this woman might be racist because white colonizers hid their racism by adopting black children. Thats his argument.

And therefore this woman adopted 2 black children to hide her racism.

No, horse meet fudging water. . . dear lord.

Someone is bothering to publish serious arguments on the issue of this appointment. I don't expect they'll get much public or political attention.

This was all known the last time her name was floated and it won't matter this time.

Because no argument the Democrats can make will work in persuading voters (congresscritters are a lost cause). They did try hitting Gorsuch and Kavanaugh on their judicial record in terms of worker rights. I don't remember which one, but one was hit by the Democrats for ruling a company was justified in firing an employee who was late making a delivery, despite a snowstorm making the roads to dangerous to drive on. It got absolutely no traction whatsoever; not even from the alt-left news sources.

Of course they can't block her appointment. But there are elections going on and they can campaign of fighting the people who do such appointments, for these very real reasons.

The failure to compromise had been entirely down to one side. Basically real compromise wasn't possible but time and time again the liberals had compromised and as usual the conservatives had demanded more slavery extended to more states slavery ownership laws extended to states where slavery was illegal. Lincoln wasn't revolutionary, he was just forced into a position when he couldn't compromise any more.

There was a literal revolution, he took a hard stance on it. He was the center, and a driver, of revolutionary times. Of revolutionary changes. We don't need to dive into the fault of chattel slavery, Lincoln promised to upset the older balance of state powers in the Senate. He would not compromise on that. Succession happened, he would not compromise on that. War happened. That is the start, middle, and end of the proof. All else is sort of faffing about for fun with little parts of the picture instead of just stepping back a couple of feet and looking at the whole thing.

There was a literal revolution, he took a hard stance on it. He was the center, and a driver, of revolutionary times. Of revolutionary changes. We don't need to dive into the fault of chattel slavery, Lincoln promised to upset the older balance of state powers in the Senate. He would not compromise on that. Succession happened, he would not compromise on that. War happened. That is the start, middle, and end of the proof. All else is sort of faffing about for fun with little parts of the picture instead of just stepping back a couple of feet and looking at the whole thing.

Traditional conservative view that refuses to accept change and thinks its the fault of everyone else because things have changed. Should Lincoln and the rest of the country have just let the plantocracy continue to run things to suit themselves for ever?

Of course they can't block her appointment. But there are elections going on and they can campaign of fighting the people who do such appointments, for these very real reasons.

Can the Democrats stop being spineless wimps and discover IDEOLOGY? Tune in to next week's episode find out!

Traditional conservative view that refuses to accept change and thinks its the fault of everyone else because things have changed. Should Lincoln and the rest of the country have just let the plantocracy continue to run things to suit themselves for ever?

I'm really lost. No. They shouldn't have. Lincoln did what needed desperately to have already been done. But it was still revolutionary. Literally a revolutionary event. There was a civil war. He lead the winning combatants. What is remotely debatable about that much less fault assigning of any sort? I guess that's my confusion. The morality of the Civil War is as clear as you are ever going to get from a war. Human chattel slavery for reals. Like, pretty much full stop?

Last edited:
I'm really lost. No. They shouldn't have. Lincoln did what needed desperately to have already been done. But it was still revolutionary. Literally a revolutionary event. There was a civil war. He lead the winning combatants. What is remotely debatable about that much less fault assigning of any sort? I guess that's my confusion. The morality of the Civil War is as clear as you are ever going to get from a war. Human chattel slavery for reals. Like, pretty much full stop?

It wasn't Lincoln who made the revolution.
Remember his position was that slavery could continue in the Southern states. They refused to accept that.
They could have backed Douglas whose position was even more moderate than Lincolns but they ran a wrecking candidate costing Douglas the election.
Everyone made attempts to compromise with the Southern states but they weren't interested in any compromise.

I am absolutely horsehockyting my pants that Farm Boy is giving us the Marxist analysis of the Civil War.

It wasn't Lincoln who made the revolution.
Remember his position was that slavery could continue in the Southern states. They refused to accept that.
They could have backed Douglas whose position was even more moderate than Lincolns but they ran a wrecking candidate costing Douglas the election.
Everyone made attempts to compromise with the Southern states but they weren't interested in any compromise.

Upsetting the balance in the Senate was revolutionary. It was a revolutionary change. There was a revolution because of the change.

I am absolutely ****ting my pants that Farm Boy is giving us the Marxist analysis of the Civil War.

Also high school US history. You know, that whole "it wasn't about slavery but it was about slavery thing?" That his promise to allow no more slave states into the union was the plank in his platform that made the southern states revolt when he was elected without a majority of the popular vote? Led the country through war to preserve the union with less than 40% of the popular vote on his first term. Suspended rights to not be "black bagged" while it was going on too. Still the "morally cleanest" war we'll be able to cite, probably.

Upsetting the balance in the Senate was revolutionary. It was a revolutionary change. There was a revolution because of the change.

The change had already happened because of the westward expansion. Lincoln didn't cause it. If any individual did it was Jackson.

Also high school US history. You know, that whole "it wasn't about slavery but it was about slavery thing?" That his promise to allow no more slave states into the union was the plank in his platform that made the southern states revolt when he was elected without a majority of the popular vote? Led the country through war to preserve the union with less than 40% of the popular vote on his first term. Suspended rights to not be "black bagged" while it was going on too. Still the "morally cleanest" war we'll be able to cite, probably.

His policy wasn't radical. Many Republicans like Ben Wade had little confidence in Lincoln.

I am absolutely ****ting my pants that Farm Boy is giving us the Marxist analysis of the Civil War.

Is that a Marxist analysis? I thought a Marxist analysis implied incorporating some kind of economic interpretation along the lines of class struggle into the thesis? He's just stating what actually happened.

Is that a Marxist analysis? I thought a Marxist analysis implied incorporating some kind of economic interpretation along the lines of class struggle into the thesis? He's just stating what actually happened.

Isn't that Marxist analysis? :mischief:

The change had already happened because of the westward expansion. Lincoln didn't cause it. If any individual did it was Jackson.

He didn't start the fire. But the status quo would have insisted upon maintaining a balance of admitted states from the territories. That was the existing compromise. Declining to continue the balance was revolutionary. It did get almost 40% of the vote. It was a big change. He didn't think the balance could be maintained, himself.

He didn't start the fire. But the status quo would have insisted upon maintaining a balance of admitted states from the territories. That was the existing compromise. Declining to continue the balance was revolutionary. It did get almost 40% of the vote. It was a big change. He didn't think the balance could be maintained, himself.

The status quo was those people who supported Breckinridge, an even smaller group of people.
Politics is about the art of the compromise, the possible. The South could've supported Douglas who offered a compromise position.
They didn't and because of that Lincoln won and the South refused to accept the result they had caused.

Top Bottom