1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCOTUS - Supreme Court of the United States

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

You only have the failure of two people on that front and you know it. Also nothing will redeem this court, only the fools bought the notion it wasn't just an extension of the senate anyways.

Drakle likes this.
  2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Don't worry, I find your presence degrading too, Rob.

Back at'cha homeboy.

3. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

See? why the nastiness? Yea I disagree with you, but I did not attack you. I do not believe the dem party should continue bending over and taking it from the GOP as they have for now 40 years. Yes pack the courts and play nasty until the other side offers peace first. It is finally time for the GOP to offer an olive branch. I can't recall a time they've ever done that in my entire life.

Drakle and hobbsyoyo like this.
  4. Farm Boy

You have to have picked your samples, then. The dead are easy to forget.

5. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

@Estebonrober] (jeez that was hard to type by hand instead of click on) - don't worry, I think he meant that insult for me. Fascinating. I feel I got insulted in this thread because of something I said in a totally different thread. New experience for me.

Also, on topic, when do people think the next opening for the SC will come open?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  6. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Name me anything since Gingrich the GOP has ever been the compromising party in such a way that they got significantly less then what they wanted? This Scotus is going to suppress the vote of every person in a urban area without regard for any physical reality of those areas. They are going to overturn Roe v Wade and go after Obergefell and make bribery even more legal. There is no reason to play nice about this. . .

Drakle, hobbsyoyo and Cloud_Strife like this.
  7. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

How is this progressive ****tery and not conservative ****tery? they want to pass a "relief bill" that relieves nobody except corporations. because obviously they didn't do enough the first time around, where corpos got a huge, majority slice of the pie.

Drakle and hobbsyoyo like this.
  8. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Thomas is next up I would bet. 72, do probably at least 10 mores years

9. Farm Boy

Thought it was pretty clear that it is that. I put them right in there along side her.

10. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Nope. Breyer is 82. He's next.

Breyer will retire if Biden wins. Thomas is dying on the shield is my guess.

11. Farm Boy

His confirmation seemed more bruising as I look back then the last couple. Maybe I was just less jaded, then.

Yeah, he's keeping where he is. He even talks now, right?

12. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

Nah, I like to think you spoke in coherent sentences way back then.

But seriously, if & when Biden packs the court in July, 2021, do we think he goes all in Super-Duper Liberal, or does he do lie Obama & go Pretty Moderate, But Left-Leaning with the the 3 newbies?

13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

He won't pack the courts is where I'd bet if I had to but I'm not a betting man so for whatever that is worth. If he did rest assured it would be the Garland type that was always going to be corporate friendly and socially liberal. The middle ground so much of us "leftists" have learned to dread.

El_Machinae likes this.
  14. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I even forgot he was on there still lol yep

15. Farm Boy

Rob, you didn't know me in the 90s. And for that period of time, I am grateful. I'm sure you'd have been just as confused by my illiteracy, way back when. I wasn't talking to you anyways, much less about you. Could you quit being a dick for a bit?

16. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

My bad. I'll let it go now.

17. Farm Boy

That was a response to you talking about me, yup. Glad we're getting there.

18. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

He had a sex scandal... nothing gets folks blood boiling like one of those. But yes he seemed to find his voice somewhat when Scalia died... don't know what that's about but its certainly noticeable.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

@Sommerswerd beat me to it but yeah, he was credibly accused of extreme sexual harassment. His confirmation should have been bruising. He still got through, in no part small part thanks to Biden being a bipartisanship champion.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  20. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Challenge Accepted

I agree with this. I prefer the idea I saw someone post on here about making the supreme court positions term limited (perhaps similar to Andrew Yang's proposal). This might stop the GOP just giving the positions to young ultra conservatives. Instead they will give it to the best qualified ultra conservatives (which is a slight improvement)! I also saw a poll which showed court packing is not generally favored by the public (though waiting until after inauguration of the president for the position to be filled is favored).
    https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/10/07/supreme-cort-packing-poll

Ultimately the supreme court which should be apolitical, has gotten way too political, but I can't think of any easy way. Have 4 GOP elected officials, 4 Democrat elected officials, and 3 bipartisan officials (who can act as the swing voters) maybe, though bipartisan agreement on those officials could be tricky?