[GS] Screen freezes/stutters when you select idle builders in late game

GeraltLee

Chieftain
As shown in title, this is really annoying especially in late game.

In early game, everything goes well.

However, in late game each time you switch to an idle builder there must be a game freeze for around 5 secs or more for even later game.

No ideas about this problem, and it only happens for Gathering Storm update. For Rise and Fall everything is good even in late game.

I tried to lower down graphic and tried to disable mods, but none of them helped.

I am running this game in DX12 on i7-8700K with liquid cooling, GTX 1080 Ti and 1TB Samsung SSD.

When you select any other units except builders, no freeze happens and the FPS keeps on 75 (my monitor is 2K resolution & 75Hz).

Hope you guys can double check it and see whats going on.

I suggest uninstalling the game, completely all the folders including documents. I had to do this for Rise and Fall, and now Gather Storm, I run mods myself and the game was seriously messed up. I reinstalled the game and had no issues! Your specs are spot on for this game, no need for DX12 it does absolutely nothing better then DX11. It was a con to move people towards Win 10, the spyware operating system :lol:

Good luck with this situation pal. ;)

I suggest uninstalling the game, completely all the folders including documents. I had to do this for Rise and Fall, and now Gather Storm, I run mods myself and the game was seriously messed up. I reinstalled the game and had no issues! Your specs are spot on for this game, no need for DX12 it does absolutely nothing better then DX11. It was a con to move people towards Win 10, the spyware operating system :lol:

Good luck with this situation pal. ;)

Hi, thanks for your suggestion.

Now I have uninstalled Civ6 completely and wait for downloading!

Hopefully it will work for my case.

I will post updates here.

Problem still exists.

BTW, I have player further in later game, and now the freezing interval becomes around 10 secs for each builders......

If that builder does not have any movement points, then no stuttering/freezing.

I believe that when it comes to even later game, the freezing time can become something like several mins which is totally ruining this game.

I have the EXACT same issue! Similar machine specs as well! There are two of us!

I feel like it wasn't a thing until I enabled some community add-ons, but I can't be certain. What add-ons did you have running? I had 1) not another map pack, 2) constant builder cost, 3) historic time, and 4) good goodie huts. Any of those the ones you had enabled?

I had to reinstall after R&F too, I had a few glitches and reinstalled, deleting folders etc. It cleared up the issues, though having to validate your files after each game quit is a thing until a patch is made.

I have the EXACT same issue! Similar machine specs as well! There are two of us!

I feel like it wasn't a thing until I enabled some community add-ons, but I can't be certain. What add-ons did you have running? I had 1) not another map pack, 2) constant builder cost, 3) historic time, and 4) good goodie huts. Any of those the ones you had enabled?

I have YnAMAP pack enabled exactly same as your case, also with Historical Religions and some re-balance mods.

However, I did not see anyone else meeting with the same problem in YnAMAP bug report thread.

I believe it is more like an initial bug for the official GS edition.

The reason I am saying that is I did NOT change the mod list for GS from R&F, but for R&F I never met with such issue.

And all mods I am using now have already been tested and updated for GS for a while.

Another reason that I believe it is an initial bug is that the game keeps CRASHING in late game only when you enable "High Resolution Geometry" in graphic option, and this case is a verified case by a lot of ppl that I have ever known.

I had to reinstall after R&F too, I had a few glitches and reinstalled, deleting folders etc. It cleared up the issues, though having to validate your files after each game quit is a thing until a patch is made.

I think it is not a file problem dude, cuz before I re-installed the game, I have verified files for times but no help at all.

Even cleaning all the files and re-installation does not actually help.

Like what I said, there are currently a lot of bugs for GS and it definitely needs further development in future, and thats why I am posting my thread in BUG REPORTING.:grouphug:

It's really, really bad. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about it. My googling of the issue found some comments that it isn't mod related. Are there any known solutions out there?

Moderator Action: Edit: added relevant information from the thread below (Gedemon)

Summary: When selecting a builder mid-game and using a mod adding some GameEffects a small lag is visible (see post #34 and post #38), which can get dramatic late game.

I can eliminate the lag completely by changing the line #531 in UnitPanel.lua from:
Code:
bCanStart, tResults = UnitManager.CanStartOperation(pUnit, actionHash, nil, tParameters, true);
to
Code:
bCanStart, tResults = UnitManager.CanStartOperation(pUnit, actionHash, nil, tParameters, false, false);

From code comments: for 2nd last boolean, false means "No exclusion test" and the last boolean means "No results". I suspect the exclusion test is the inefficient part. Not sure whether this change will only have UI impact.
So I enabled GameEffectsLogLevel 4 and selected the Builder in my lag example savegame. I get 10,000 lines in the GameEffects.log all Created Requirement and Created Requirement Set. The game looks like it is recreating and reapplying every Requirement and Requirement Set every time I select a Builder which seems unnecessary for a UI process. Pretty sure this is a base game inefficiency now. When I disable the exclusion test in UnitManager.CanStartOperation for Build Improvement I get no extra lines in GameEffects.log. If you're interested this is all the work the GameEffects.log output when I simply select one Builder in the UI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the OP, but the problem I've noticed is that moving builders takes more and more time as the game progresses. Ie it takes a significant delay (a second or so) from using a move command to the builder actually moving, and when it does, it skips frames as if there are momentous calculations going on in the background to perform the action.

I do have a bunch of mods though, including More Lenses etc. Not sure if they're having an effect.

I started having it today as well, after about t160. I hear the Builder select sound but it takes a while for the animation and camera move to catch up. It's driving me nuts!

The biggest issue is when we are forced out of Monumentalism and workers go from costing ~700 Faith to 2500+ gold AND they move at half the speed. It's the same with settlers and Districts. Things are scaled up on almost every additional build to hold a player back. Instead of better game and Ai design the Civ developers have consistently taken short cuts in every single expansion. To be honest I am surprised they put Monumentalism in the game.

Is this with quick movement turned on? I haven't noticed any issue.

Is this with quick movement turned on? I haven't noticed any issue.
I use quick movement and see nothing.
I suspect this is all part of the vanilla patch particle modifications they did, many have complained of their fan going berserk and this seems like the main area of issue. I have turned off all graphics I can but still getting the fan going crazy, that implies lots of effort and likely as more visuals happen as the game goes on (apparently even rendered when off screen) then issue occurs.

I don't recall any issues on this matter either and I also have quick movement deactivated.

Could that have something to do?

EDIT: seems like not.

Maybe this is related to the strange bug I am getting where the music cuts out and the screen jumps when you rapidly move the screen, late game. A reload seems to fix it.

Wild guess, based on one of the comments in the Terra Mirabilis section on steam, but maybe they forgot (or didn't expected to need) to cache some values for the UI in relation to modifiers and adjacency bonuses applied on the map's plots.

I mean IIRC that's why they've originally separated the game core and UI context in Lua, the UI works on cached value so that it doesn't have to ask the game engine to (re)calculate everything every time the local player select something.

Could be why some UI mods before GS could create lag in late game when they were doing global calculations on larger map to display some information.

Now imagine if, when selecting the builder, the UI, instead of taking the cached values, is calculating again the yields on each plots on the map to display the best improvement for each location.

I do think this is related to Terra Mirabilis or YNAMP; I was playing totally unmodded for about 10 GS games with no issue. Then I put both of those on and started getting the builder issue.

YnAMP can worsen the issue if you use bigger than huge size, but can not create it.

Top Bottom