Screen not updating

Dominix

Warlord
Does anybody know why sometimes the screen does not seem to update properly? I play Vanilla Civ 1.29f and often times I will have a unit right next to tile, and when I move the unit to another spot that is also adjacent to this tile, it will all of a sudden 'update', like a road and maybe some irrigation will be added to it. Most of the time I ignore it, but it gets really frustrating when I'm looking for a path towards some distant location and I would have used that road had I known it existed (at points like this I reload and just have my unit go right onto that tile, and it is at that point when the unit reaches the tile that it again 'updates').

Anyhow, here's a screen of something that doesn't happen as often, but it seems to be a result of the same bug. There's a longbow in that city, but it doesn't appear until I attack it.

You will only know what terrain improvements exist that you have seen by either units or world map. If there were any changes to a tile you will have to again exchange maps or scout the tile with a unit.

So as your unit progresses the tile will update itself.

Hope this helps.

Wtiberon

That's why it's a good idea to get their WMs as often as you can, so you can see the updates. As I recall, you'll be able to see any resources that come up with a map that has not been updated. It's like like you're advisors saying "Remember that stuff in China we didn't know what it was? Well, that's coal!" If the source has been depleted, I'm not sure what would happen. . . I would think you'd see it there and need to get an updated map to find out it's gone.

5CC conquest! IMPRESSIVE!

I've always wondered about the "resource update" myself. In my current game, there was oil shown in a tile, but by the time one of my units actually saw it, it disappeared! So, if a source depletes, does the map not show it until the tile is "seen"? What about NEW resources? Do they not appear until updating of the world maps or until a unit sees it again?

It seems that when a new resource is discovered, it updates on the map automatically only once from my experience, but just wanting to know what others have observed.

-- From The Cellar :smoke:

Originally posted by wtiberon
You will only know what terrain improvements exist that you have seen by either units or world map. If there were any changes to a tile you will have to again exchange maps or scout the tile with a unit.

So as your unit progresses the tile will update itself.

Hope this helps.

Wtiberon

Well the situation I'm dealing with is, the tile does not update unless I actually move a unit onto it. Every unit should uncover at least one tile of fog on all sides no matter what the surrounding terran is right? The situation that has happened is that one of those surrounding tiles does not 'update' until I actually move a unit onto it. I would think that the tile would already update if I had a unit right next to it.

In that screenshot, if I move one of those cavalry next to the city, that caravel is still on top. The longbow in the city does not actually appear until I attack the city.

Originally posted by Hygro
5CC conquest! IMPRESSIVE!

Thanks, but this was only on Regent. I honestly cannot comprehend how Charis did a 5CC conquest on Deity, or even how these guys did it here

The longbow is actually INSIDE the caravel i.e. loaded. So it is not shown on the map. When you attack the longbow instantly leaps out of the boat to defend the city.

Your own units do this too; take one of your own cities, and put the garrison into ships. The ships will show as the unit in the city, but if attacked the loaded units will defend the city.

This is NOT a graphics bug, it's to stop a single unit walking into a city with lots of units which are on ships, and not having to fight.

Originally posted by MadScot
The longbow is actually INSIDE the caravel i.e. loaded. So it is not shown on the map. When you attack the longbow instantly leaps out of the boat to defend the city.

Your own units do this too; take one of your own cities, and put the garrison into ships. The ships will show as the unit in the city, but if attacked the loaded units will defend the city.

This is NOT a graphics bug, it's to stop a single unit walking into a city with lots of units which are on ships, and not having to fight.

Ah I see, thank you. I was wondering if there was some similar explanation for this following picture, because in this one I found a while back the only unit left in the city is the settler displayed.

I believe ANY ground unit is displayed in preference to ships. But military units in ships will defend the city. So yes, that is likely the same situation, just displaying a different non-ground-combat unit

Interesting, never knew that. I'd normally expect that the ai would unload the units in the first place (if that's possible, of course).

I've heard that you can prevent bombardments by embarking units (?), though.
That feels a little "exploitive", so I never used it. I initially thought I could *just* prevent the bombardments; so I could eventually preserve army hitpoints or throw those drafties preferably into defensive battles and such.
When I got that right and if embarked units would then even defend (after not being bombarded), it's a major bummer IMHO.
Hmm, do they also count as military police, respectively quell resistance and affect CF probabilities? I'd guess not, maybe a ship type of unit is somehow regarded somewhat similarily to an army unit, and that's just the reason of this whole phenomenon.:hmm:

Btw, is embarking a "honorable" strategy or banned from GOTM/competitive games?

I know the other problem (the sudden "tile improvement update"). I play also vanilla. But IIRC, I've seen those screen updates during the inbetween turn, very rarely though.
If I was a member of "the ai cheats"-movement, I'd start a related rant.
But it's just strange to see e.g. an irrigation improvement plopping up on a not occupied tile (no worker visible). But maybe I would have seen it [irrigation] during my turn if I moved another unit along - like Dominix described.
My turn ends, I press enter and that irrigation is suddenly planted there w/o observing any single ai worker ever travelling that tile during the inbetween turn. Of course, show ai movements was checked in prefs - and my machine is a slow turtle (at least slower than I could watch ai movements). Also, I could see other units moving around elsewhere.
Next turn begins, no ai worker on that tile.:confused:
Maybe it's indeed some screen updating bug. By now, I missed to right-click such a tile and didn't investigate a nearby ai city - that could possibly put some light on it, I guess. I'll catch a save and play around with it when it happens again.

I have found that you can sometimes get the tile to "update" by just viewing another part of the map and then coming back. It seems that the graphic updates don't take effect for newly discovered tiles until some kind of action is taken, either moving a unit, or changing map positions.

I've heard that you can prevent bombardments by embarking units

elaborate

I think the ship gets the hits from the arty shells, but the embarked units would defend at full health. Note: That's just my speculation. Also, the ai does not use arty that often, so excessive use is impossible anyways. Would have some potential for MP games, though.

Top Bottom