Screen Resolution

DaimyoDan

Chieftain
Don't know if I should of put this under the TECH Boards because I don't have an actual problem just looking for a suggestion. My setup is the following...

I have the following...

AMD 2.0 GHZ
1 GIG of RAM
128 MB RAM 256-bit RADEON 9800 PRO
17 inch flat screen

My possibly lame question is, what would be a good resolution to set but still have good performance as well in game?

if you got a LCD monitor then you should always use your native resolution.

Smidlee said:
if you got a LCD monitor then you should always use your native resolution.

Well that's really a function of desired performance versus clarity of the image. Running a non-native resolution will give a poorer image, but if reducing the resolution significantly increases performance, it may be worth it.

Regardless, I would think with the specs provided and a 17 inch screen, running the native resolution (probably 1024x768) would make for good civ experience without having to sacrifice image quality.

I have a 17in LCD that has native resolution of 1280x1024. Civ looks great - but performance is noticeably better in 1024x768.

My specs for comparison are:
2.8GHz Pentium 4
1 GB RAM
GeForce 4 MX440 (64MB AGP)
17 inch LCD flat screen display

Obviously in my case the video card is crap, and if I had a better one I would definitely run at 1280x1024 all the time.

My annoyance is that there is no way (that I know of) to have specific games start in specific resolutions. I wish I could alter the shortcut to CivIV to automatically change my monitor resolution to 1024x768. I know you can set the in game resolution to whatever you want, but my computer seems to have problems when a game is running in a different resolution than the computer is set to. (Again, this is probably due to my crappy video card)

SpikeIt said:
Well that's really a function of desired performance versus clarity of the image. Running a non-native resolution will give a poorer image, but if reducing the resolution significantly increases performance, it may be worth it.

So why don't you try it? Nobody knows what your expectation of "performance" is.

Top Bottom