1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot of the Day #113: AI Cheating?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Thunderfall, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

im not going to do this test because I already know what I;m going to find. However, anyone else is free to.

2. Grille

Grille panel insect

But if ai was cheating by building *forbidden* irrigation, why would they sometimes do it correctly, building it the exausting way?
    Just for bluffing?

3. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Chieftain

Pembroke: I'll set such a map up, then anyone who doubts can test it :D

4. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Chieftain

5. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

I agree Killer, I just becomes a bit upset when players says that they experience a cheat "all the time" that noone has proved. But I can easily understand how the galley jump leads to players thinking that the AI cheats.

6. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

Then I may tell about my current game. My continent consists of two peninsulas that are cut off by the main part by mountains, and have no access to fresh water. One such peninsula is owned by Spain and another by America. Both mined their entire land dure to lack of irrigation - no cheating there, even though especially America desperately needed irrigation since their peninsula consisted of a combination of mountains, hills, plains and desert.

I may post a few screenshots when I get home. It's quite interesting to see the Spanish land which almost only consists of grassland, and every square is mined (sans one that they hadn't had time to mine yet before I destroyed them).

7. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

Here are the pictures. First of the American area. As you see, it would really benefit from some irrigation:

Then there is Spain. This picture was taken after I had conquered two of their cities: Santiago and Izumo, but it shouldn't matter for the example. Spain's land is filled with mines, but there is no irrigation, simply because Spain doesn't have access to fresh water.

8. Arrian

Arrian Chieftain

I have never seen the AI building irrigation when it shouldn't be able to.

I think we're all familiar with the 50/50 irrigate/mine style the AI likes, and the two screenshots posted above contrast rather obviously with that. Clearly, if the AI could irrigate it would have.

I have come accross island AI empires that lacked fresh water and found the same thing: they mined, because that's all they could do.

When I see AI workers irrigating near my territory w/o being able to see the irrigation chain that got them there, I always find out later (either by conquering them or getting their map in a trade) that it's just due to the FoW.

-Arrian

9. nmcul

nmcul I have missles

Given the importance of rivers upon history, does anyone else feel that if Civ 3 had made the world, we would still be in the Middle Ages? :lol:

10. Hygro

if you have ptw you might notice rivers all over the place.

11. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

Hygro: My above screenshots was from a PTW game (obviously since one screenshot is of Spanish territory).The continent in question is quite large, and has only two rivers, in addition to two 1-tile lakes.

12. Hygro

:hmm:

Maybe it's because I've been playing 5 billion year old planets? Lately my large map games consist of more rivers than ocean ;)

13. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

It may be the world's age. I always play on random age and temperature, and don't think too much about what setting I actually get.

14. Hygro

I jsut ran some tests with the map generator keeping the same map (AI, keeping random seed the same and only changing ages),
    and I found more rivers on older maps.

15. jmansbong

jmansbong Chieftain

about the ai cheating and all... you ever notice how the ai opponent always knows what your weakest city is. ex. it always attacks the city with no walls or the city without a coastal fortress. i mean human players dont know which ai cities have walls or not the same thing happend in civ 2

16. Ville

Ville Chieftain

Since when has human player not seen walls.:p
    They are able to be seen when the city is 1-6 size. This is Town
    When the city is 7-12 size walls have no effect but the city has got 50% bonus. This is City
    When city is 13-x size, the city has a defence bonus of 100% (not sure about that), and it has nothing to do with walls. This is Metropolis

17. jmansbong

jmansbong Chieftain

ok but my point is they always know the weakest city or defended position

18. DiamondzAndGunz

DiamondzAndGunz Lurking

You can check too. You can investigate a city if you have an embassy, or if you have a spy in the civs capitol. Embassies are closed during wartime, so you would need a spy to investigate in that case.

19. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

jmansbong, you are correct, but this is old news. If you search for a thread called "The cmplete cheat guide", you'll find a discussion of actual cheats as well as many false cheat accusations, but it is easy to make a summary:

Disregarding difficulty-related advantages, the AI has one cheat: It knows everything. It knows the map before it is explored, it knows where future resources will pop up, it knows where all your units and cities are - and therefor also knows exactly how each of your cities are defended, etc.

This is the one and only real AI cheat that has been confirmed though.

20. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

Point is: There is no proof the AI cheats!