Script Files to Generate "Nobles Club" WorldBuilder files

hankinsohl

Warlord
Sometime in the (hopefully) near future, I'll get around to creating script files that will automatically generate all of the various no-huts-, huts, files for noble, monarch, immortal, emperor, deity given an input World Builder file.

Probably some of the world-builder authors are on Macintosh. So, I suppose a platform neutral solution is preferable.

But for this to work, either Windows or Mac users or probably both will have to download programming-language support for whatever I create (e.g., if I write my script files using Perl, Windows users will need to download Perl support - I'm not a Mac User, but if Mac doesn't natively support Perl, they'll need to download Perl support as well if I go that route.

Another option is to write some sort of binary program (C++ executable most likely).

If I take the binary program approach there's several drawbacks - Mac Users won't be able to use the executable and Windows users will need to trust me not to do something evil (writing a virus, stealing user information, etc.).

But, a binary solution would mean that nothing further need be downloaded.
=================
I'm posting this message to gain feedback.

If you're a Noble Club/Lonely Hearts/Immortal Cookbock author or prospective author, let me know which of the above solutions you'd prefer.

Currently I'm leaning towards Perl or some other script language.

There's currently a shell script that works on Linux and Windows with Cygwin, not sure about Macs. Getting something cross platform is very hard, I had thought about creating a web page for it.

Good luck!
I was under the impression that no scripts of any kind exist for this. Can you provide a link to the scripts? If they exist, my effort would be duplicative.

Good stuff! That your effort will be a great help for the cookbockers!
Think a platform neutral solution is something to strive for.
Just a quick question.. Is it hard to get pearl support? Because programming knowledge can work as a barrier as well :)
RE Perl - I don't know. Perl was extremely popular 10 years or more ago.

Would Python be a better choice in your opinion?

Thanks Noble Zarkon.

IMO, Tijup's files fulfill the objective I was striving for - automated creation of Noble's Club/Lonely Heart's Club/Immortal Cookbook files given a suitable input file.

Do any of the Noble's Club authors disagree? Is downloading cygwin too much to ask?
===============
Request to forum moderators:

Can we get Tijup's files stickied?

Last edited:
Okay, I've made a stickied thread. First time I made a sticky on the new forum software.
Is this as you envisioned it, or should I add additional information?

Top Bottom