Scripting/Events in Conquests?

SanPellegrino

Wanderer
From what I read about Conquests I couldn't figure out if there is real scripting in it. I mean things like "if city taken "X", than change money "+1000" for player 1", like in Civ2.

For me the Events and the scenarios based on them where always the biggest point for replayability, I played Civ2 for 5 or 6 years, but Civ3 got boring after a year and a half, because nobody could make a really good scenario, while Civ2 had really some pieces of art after some time.

Somebody got information about this point?

i doubt there is real scripting. it would require a large overhaul of the editor, and this is just an expansion.:(

Originally posted by mrgenius
i doubt there is real scripting. it would require a large overhaul of the editor, and this is just an expansion.:(

That's what expansions are for, as opposed to patches-- for large overhauls.

Not only should it be possible, it's one of the big changes I'm expecting.

So am I. The expansion will have "eight professionally designed adventures". Without scripting these conquests will be alot less interesting IMO.

PS: I really should have signed up for the beta test. It's tough to be in the dark. :crazyeye:

Originally posted by mrgenius

They did this with Civ2, so why not with Civ3?

TIme and money, time and money...

One of the biggest differences with how Civ2 and Civ3 were produced is that Civ2 was produced on the developer's dime. Civ3 is being made using Atari's money under Atari's timeline.

I read also about the "eight adventures" and just hoped this means events. Of course the developers are under pressure as usual, but a simple script language would be enough. The Civ2 events where basically very simple, only "if-then" but in combination and with a creative mind they were great! I can't believe that it is that hard to implement.

I hope it goes above and beyond the Civ2 macro language (even if it just has more "if-then" options)... I mean, I had expected that Civ3 would have a superior scripting language before it came out oh so many years ago. Well, two things make me think that it might have at least some kind of a scripting language... 1) the volcanoes, and 2) the scenarios to be included. And I think its not unreasonable that Atari might be pushing for it as well... I mean, if they think it will make the game more desirable (and of course it will) then they'll do it to sell more! I mean, they know that a lot of people have become disheartened with Civ since its release and even moreso since PtW's flop debut.

sounds very reasonable and I want to believe... :)
but I saw many disappointments in games software the last years and a scripting language is only fully appreciated by a minority of civ gamers...

Originally posted by SanPellegrino
I can't believe that it is that hard to implement.

You aren't a programmer then. Adding scripting to something as complex as Civ is a complex undertaking, especially as it was never designed in from the beginning.

BTW, anyone who knows for certain is not legally allowed to say.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, when I read about the new expansion focusing on scenarios "eight adventures", I just assumed events would be in and I just overread it (my english is not that well either), so I asked here. And I won't believe they just want to sell a few new civs for 30 bucks.

No, I am no programmer but I know from experience that most tasks can be driven by macros, even from sources outside the original program and I think they have able programmers there so I just hope...

(I will not talk about that they didn't designed it from the beginning, no, no, I will not...)

I don't design scenarios, and I have little interest in doing so. That being said, I will buy the new expansion only if scripting is possible. It will add several years of playability to the Civ 3 franchise. (The stuff some people came up with for Civ 2 is truly amazing. It's almost like a whole new game).

The only problem I see with scripting - the general public doesn't realize just how beneficial it is, even for those who don't use it, because so many people do use it to make great scenarios available for all.

Originally posted by warpstorm
Civ2 was produced on the developer's dime. Civ3 is being made using Atari's money under Atari's timeline.
I don't understand, how does this affect the Conquest process? Will there be enough time to do it right?

I agree with all of this scripting talk. Some really cool stuff for this game would have been possible long ago if only there was a scripting engine available. All of the extremely successful games (and most enjoyable), regardless of genre, have included a scripting language in their 'editor.' Starcraft, Half-Life, Quake, etc. etc.

ok, a month ago I asked this question. Any news, can the beta testers tell something now or are they still not allowed to? I only read about "unique features" for each adventure do they mean events?

The beta testers aren't allowed to talk about content till it ships (and maybe not even then).

Top Bottom