Scroll Bars missing

PatrickCiv2

Chieftain
Hi,

I have been playing without any issues for years now. All the sudden all scroll bars are missing (Checkboxes are fine). I added a screenshot from the tax advisor screen but its the same in the city screen. I thought I might have toggled something by accident somewhere but couldnt find any seettings that would match.

I also tried installing a UI update (CIV2UIA) hoping the scroll bars would come back but no luck. Anyone any help? I searched the forum but couldnt find anything obviously related.

any help is much appreciated

Update: I think it might have to do with this windows update
KB4577586
that for some reason got installed a few weeks ago and removed all remaining flash bits. As it seems this cant be restored. Any suggestions?

tax rate.JPG

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I want to change the distribution, but I haven't figured out a way.
I tried tabbing to the control then using the arrows, no luck.

I would like to know if the format of the save file is documented anywhere. That way I could
at least edit the values in the save file.

So I tested on a different Win10 Computer that has not been updated and the game worked properly. Also couldnt find where to change the settings in the save file. Hopefully a tech savvy member reads this. Alternatively is there any Flash Alternative available that would mitigate the issue? I guess there are A LOT of old games out there in need of Flash so a lot of users with the same request...

Same here...
civ2ar.PNG
Hope someone finds a fix for this soon
fortunately, the game still is playable, but that is some real problem in the higher difficulties...

Attachments

• civ2ar.PNG
    civ2ar.PNG
    76.8 KB · Views: 122
@donpay where you able to change any values based on the other saved file thread?
I opened a saved file on hexed it but would have no clue how to find the relevant entries as per description

1 2971 + 3348N Byte 0x00 - 0x08 Percentage Science (/10) as shown in the Tax Rate screen

1 2972 + 3348N Byte 0x00 - 0x08 Percentage Tax (/10) as shown in the Tax rate screen

and how to change these...

I updated my Windows 10 VM to latest version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) and still can't reproduce this behavior. Either you have some experimental updates from MS installed or haven't updated your OS with the latest updates.
KB4577586 is not the reason because Adobe Flash has nothing to do with Civilization II.
Also check that there is no any compatibility settings set for civ2.exe. Just don't use any of them. The game should work flawlessly even on Windows 10. Just need to: 1) patch editboxes, 2) turn on legacy DirectPlay components, 3) enable Indeo codecs. That's all.

I will monitor this situation. Maybe after some new MS updates this bug will disappear for you or appear for me.

I updated my Windows 10 VM to latest version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) and still can't reproduce this behavior. Either you have some experimental updates from MS installed or haven't updated your OS with the latest updates.
KB4577586 is not the reason because Adobe Flash has nothing to do with Civilization II.
Also check that there is no any compatibility settings set for civ2.exe. Just don't use any of them. The game should work flawlessly even on Windows 10. Just need to: 1) patch editboxes, 2) turn on legacy DirectPlay components, 3) enable Indeo codecs. That's all.

I will monitor this situation. Maybe after some new MS updates, this bug will disappear for you or appear for me.

I'm pretty sure that there's some problem, if not about windows, is a hardware one because I tried all kinds of patches and fresh reinstalls of the game, and none of them worked out.

I can confirm running the latest Win10 update solved the issue. I was still on version 19xx and for some reason the update wouldnt run automatically. For all those planning to upgrade make sure you arent in a rush - it took nearly 5 hours to complete. Thanks @FoxAhead

I can confirm running the latest Win10 update solved the issue. I was still on version 19xx and for some reason the update wouldnt run automatically. For all those planning to upgrade make sure you arent in a rush - it took nearly 5 hours to complete. Thanks @FoxAhead
Ditto, although for me, it took only about an hour for the update to run.

Yep, the new uptade showed up for me today, now the game is working just fine. :3

@donpay where you able to change any values based on the other saved file thread?
I opened a saved file on hexed it but would have no clue how to find the relevant entries as per description

1 2971 + 3348N Byte 0x00 - 0x08 Percentage Science (/10) as shown in the Tax Rate screen

1 2972 + 3348N Byte 0x00 - 0x08 Percentage Tax (/10) as shown in the Tax rate screen

and how to change these...

I did get that message but haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm going to look for a Windows update to see if it gets fixed.

I will monitor this situation. Maybe after some new MS updates this bug will disappear for you or appear for me.

So how did you get Windows Build 19042.928. I have Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. I searched for your version and Microsoft says Windows Update should deliver it. I did "Check for Updates" and it loaded a few things, but not the OS.

OK, I got it. I knew my Gold was at 0x189E for 4 bytes, so I figured it out from there. There are two bytes, one at 18AF and the other at 18B0. These are Science and tax. 0x8 is 80%, so I set mine to 0x00 08 to turn off science and set tax to 80% since I had discovered everything. It set luxuries to 20% to finish out the 100%.

Last edited:
OK, I got it. I knew my Gold was at 0x189E for 4 bytes, so I figured it out from there. There are two bytes, one at 18AF and the other at 18B0. These are Science and tax. 0x8 is 80%, so I set mine to 0x00 08 to turn off science and set tax to 80% since I had discovered everything. It set luxuries to 20% to finish out the 100%.

The document says the values can be 0 to 8, which only gets you 80%. I tried a 9 and got 90%, and a hex 0xA (decimal 10) and got 100%.

So how did you get Windows Build 19042.928. I have Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. I searched for your version and Microsoft says Windows Update should deliver it. I did "Check for Updates" and it loaded a few things, but not the OS.

OK, my Windows update came up today ready to install 20H2, but it got an error installing.

Here's where you can get it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10

Top Bottom