Scrolling the Tech Tree to the right

CaptainPatch

Lifelong gamer
Hey, Strangers! I was between games and I decided to pop back into Civ V. I was in the Medieval Era and pondering what to research next. But when I opened the Tech Tree, it opens to the Ancient/Classical eras and that's where it stays. Arrow keys don't scroll it. Left- or right-clicking on the right side doesn't move it. Click-and-drag doesn't work. Didn't try the WASD keys, but that seemed counter-intuitive because there would be no use for the W or S. So nothing in-game seems able to let me look to the right of the (beginning of the) Classical era.

I seem to recall encountering this same glitch way back when the game was new. It seems peculiar that this major of bug was never patched.

Did I miss something somewhere? Anyone know a method for making the entire tree viewable from F6 or from the "Open Tech Tree" button?

If only it were so simple. When I open the Tech Tree screen, there are no scroll bars anywhere.

Could it be that the scroll bar only appears when the display is set to Windowed, rather than Full-screen? That might be the case, because I habitually set all my games to full-screen.

Could it be that the scroll bar only appears when the display is set to Windowed, rather than Full-screen? That might be the case, because I habitually set all my games to full-screen.

That might be the case.

I use the mouse button wheel. Rolling it up and down will scroll the tech tree left and right.

I use the mouse button wheel. Rolling it up and down will scroll the tech tree left and right.
Just tried that. For me it does nothing.

I suppose I should mention that I am on a PC. (But that should be obvious because consoles don't use mice, right?)

I guess try going Fullscreen mode. That's all I ever play in.

Besides, I hear windowed mode is "complete utter worthless trash."

Do you have any UI mods installed? Could be that one of them is interfering in some way.
Yech. LOTS of mods installed. (And yet the game is incredibly stable otherwise.) It may take me awhile to sort through to see which might be UI mods. (I wish that the Steam Workshop had something like the Nexus Mod Manager. It would make it easy to see what's what at a glance.)

ADDENDA -- Tempus fugit. Went through my LONG list of mods and discovered that NONE of them relate to the UI. There was one, however that related directly to the Tech Tree, Beyond The Future, that added more color for the undescribed techs when the tree ran out of ideas. I turned that one off and went into the game and discovered that my problem persisted.

Then again, there are several mods that modified several existing techs that activated additional units and buildings by expanding existing techs on the tree. Perhaps one or more of those froze the Tech Tree display on the Ancient era. But for the life of me, I can't understand why any of those tweaks would specifically remove the scroll bar from the display page.

Hmm. I'm wondering if the scroll bar IS there, but placed below the lower edge of my monitor display. I'm going to fiddle with my display settings to see if that brings the scroll up to where I can see it.

ADDENDA to the ADDENDA -- So I fiddled with my video settings. Maxed resolution (1920 x 1600) down to minimized resolution (1024 or 1280? x 720), windowed and full-screen, anti-alias on and off. NO combination makes the tech tree scroll bar appear.

One last thing to try -- NO mods active.

ADDENDA to the ADDENDA to the ADDENDA. Okay, pure vanilla worked. (FINALLY saw where the scroll bar is located, which is to the right of the Close button. That button appeared in ALL settings, so this was not a case of the scroll bar being just below the monitor display.

Going to be a bummer having to identify just which mod(s) is glitching the tech tree screen.

Disable ALL mods AND clear the cache. I bet it's your "Beyond the Future" mod, but you did not clear cache when disabling it...

Disable ALL mods AND clear the cache. I bet it's your "Beyond the Future" mod, but you did not clear cache when disabling it...
Not so lucky. I tried pure vanilla and it worked okay. Next I turned off Beyond The Future and rebooted the PC = no scroll bar. So there is at least one other mod that is causing the glitch.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm guessing that I am going to have to disable ALL 50+ mods, and then activate them one by one followed by starting a new game each time to see which specific mod(s) cause the glitch. I think I'll start by deactivating all of the tech-modifying mods and leave everything else active. Maybe I'll get lucky, because there's no more than 10-12 of those.

SOLUTION!

I disabled my 25 most likely suspects. Then I reactivated them three at a time to see if the tech tree scroll bar reappeared. The fourth mod in the bunch, Enhanced Improvements version 4, turned out to be the culprit. Disabling just that one mod got my scroll bar back.

Traumatic events like a CTD or screen freeze makes it obvious that there's some kind of serious bug in the mix. But this one, it isn't until the latter half of the Classical era before you notice that something is amiss. That's insidious.

When encountering this sort of tech-tree bugginess, it is almost always a waste of time to look for mods that alter the UI because 90%+ of the time it is a problem in xml or sql code, and not in the UI lua-coding of any mod. I can't think offhand of any mods that actually attempt to re-code the actual tech-tree lua-file other than total conversion mods. There are probably some, at a guess, but as a general rule it isn't much of value as anything to attempt to mod.

Incorrectly placed techs in the tech tree, techs without proper "prerequisite tech" constructions in the Technology_PrereqTechs table or the Technology_ORPrereqTechs, and tech-conflicts between two or more mods all have the potential to cause an utter hash of the full tech-tree UI. Tech-Conflicts and Tech-Tree Tech Placement conflicts between two or more mods are the most common causes of Tech Tree UI failures.

Top Bottom