Eric Guimarães

Chieftain
Do you remember the "Conquest of the New World" scenario in civ 5?
There was a thing in this scenario that really caught my attention;it's about the scurvy promotion that all European naval units had,look:
"Additionally, all European naval units begin play with the Scurvy "promotion," which gives them a chance to lose 1 HP each time they end a turn outside of friendly territory. This promotion persists until the Navigation School - a national wonder unique to this scenario - is constructed."
I really like the concept of realism in this promotion, because I can't stand exploring a whole map in the Classical era with a simple Galley, while in real life people had to have a certain ship-building tech to do so(which was certainly not in the classical era!).
(Is it even possible for a mod like this to exist in civ 6?)

Last edited:
Scurvy is a disease resulting from a Vitamin C deficiency, not ship-building technology. The solution to scurvy was fresh citrus, or at least some kind of vegetable. They were eating salted meat and hardtack which has very little nutrition.
Thanks for the definition! But the point of this thread is to suggest this debuff on naval units in order to finish the 2000 years of naval exploration without any penalties.

Agree, it should be a promotion that ended with the discovery of Navigation.

It's indeed very easy to do!

The code is simple and can be easely integrated in all naval units:

Code:
<UnitPromotions>
       <Row>
           <Type>PROMOTION_SCURVY</Type>
           <Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_SCURVY</Description>
           <Help>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_SCURVY_HELP</Help>
           <Sound>AS2D_IF_LEVELUP</Sound>
           <CannotBeChosen>true</CannotBeChosen>
           <EnemyDamageChance>65</EnemyDamageChance>
           <NeutralDamageChance>65</NeutralDamageChance>
           <PortraitIndex>57</PortraitIndex>
           <IconAtlas>ABILITY_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
           <PediaType>PEDIA_ATTRIBUTES</PediaType>
           <PediaEntry>TXT_KEY_PEDIA_PROMOTION_SCURVY</PediaEntry>
       </Row>
   </UnitPromotions>

<UnitPromotions_UnitCombats>
       <Row>
           <PromotionType>PROMOTION_SCURVY</PromotionType>
           <UnitCombatType> UNITCOMBAT_NAVALMELEE</UnitCombatType>
       </Row>
<Row>
           <PromotionType>PROMOTION_SCURVY</PromotionType>
           <UnitCombatType> UNITCOMBAT_NAVALRANGED</UnitCombatType>
       </Row>
   </UnitPromotions_UnitCombats>

Then, write this:

Code:
 <Buildings>
         <Update>
           <Where Type="BUILDING_SEAPORT"/>
           <Set>
               <FreePromotionRemoved>PROMOTION_SCURVY</FreePromotionRemoved>
           </Set>
       </Update>
</Buildings>

All Done!

Last edited:
Yes add this so exploration is handicapped more, while we're at it let's change sea movement to 1.
The game already has this mechanic in the miniscule 3 moves per turn.

The Naval - Scurvy combine is only one of several 'limitations' on unit movement missing from the game.

Among the things you can do without penalty that are utterly unrealistic:

March an army through the tundra, or rainforest/jungle, or desert without penalty
Move a mounted cavalry unit through a rainforest/jungle
Move a mechanized unit through a Marsh
Move Any Unit through a Marsh before discovering the mosquito vector for Yellow Fever or Malaria.
Establish a colony in or next to a rain forest when the colonists are from a temperate climate (If you want a Hair-Raising Read, look up the casualty rate among European colonists in the Caribbean!)

IF we wanted to make the game more realistic, a great deal of the map would be essentially Off Limits to any units except maybe Scouts for most or all of the early and middle game, or subject any units moving through it to Attrition. Civ VI would quickly turn from a classic 4X game of Explore-Exploit-Expand-Exterminate to a 4R game of Rebuild-Retry-Resurrect-Restart...

The Naval - Scurvy combine is only one of several 'limitations' on unit movement missing from the game.

Among the things you can do without penalty that are utterly unrealistic:

March an army through the tundra, or rainforest/jungle, or desert without penalty
Move a mounted cavalry unit through a rainforest/jungle
Move a mechanized unit through a Marsh
Move Any Unit through a Marsh before discovering the mosquito vector for Yellow Fever or Malaria.
Establish a colony in or next to a rain forest when the colonists are from a temperate climate (If you want a Hair-Raising Read, look up the casualty rate among European colonists in the Caribbean!)

IF we wanted to make the game more realistic, a great deal of the map would be essentially Off Limits to any units except maybe Scouts for most or all of the early and middle game, or subject any units moving through it to Attrition. Civ VI would quickly turn from a classic 4X game of Explore-Exploit-Expand-Exterminate to a 4R game of Rebuild-Retry-Resurrect-Restart...
Better said than I did.

Hey, your game won't change if someone make a change like this, will it? If this someone changes the game and he liked the changes, It's his problem, it is not? I showed the man the way, if he succeed, good for him!

Hey, your game won't change if someone make a change like this, will it? If this someone changes the game and he liked the changes, It's his problem, it is not? I showed the man the way, if he succeed, good for him!

It is a game, so it is meant to be enjoyed by the individual player. Whatever you like, that's good.

In fact, as a historian, I would enjoy more realism in the game. The problem with the restrictions I mentioned above, is that they are all pretty one-sidedly negative, which most players don't care for.
On the other hand, a game in which there were ways around the negatives would be much more playable. For instance:
At, perhaps Tech: Scientific Theory you also get Antiscorbotics that remove the penalty from Scurvy. Get to that Tech first, and you get a jump on exploration and ocean travel.
IF you have a city with rain forest, or desert, or tundra tiles within its radius, units raised in that city are exempt from penalties from traveling through those tiles (Although, mounted cavalry or chariot units still can't move through a rain forest without getting, literally, Bogged Down)
OR perhaps if you have Furs resource, that can reduce any penalties from traveling through Tundra tiles.

"There are nine and twenty schools, for constructing Gaming Rules, and each and every one of them is right!" (with profound apologies to R. Kiping)

Last edited:
It is a game, so it is meant to be enjoyed by the individual player. Whatever you like, that's good.

In fact, as a historian, I would enjoy more realism in the game. The problem with the restrictions I mentioned above, is that they are all pretty one-sidedly negative, which most players don't care for.
On the other hand, a game in which there were ways around the negatives would be much more playable. For instance:
At, perhaps Tech: Scientific Theory you also get Antiscorbotics that remove the penalty from Scurvy. Get to that Tech first, and you get a jump on exploration and ocean travel.
IF you have a city with rain forest, or desert, or tundra tiles within its radius, units raised in that city are exempt from penalties from traveling through those tiles (Although, mounted cavalry or chariot units still can't move through a rain forest without getting, literally, Bored Down)
OR perhaps if you have Furs resource, that can reduce any penalties from traveling through Tundra tiles.

"There are nine and twenty schools, for constructing Gaming Rules, and each and every one of them is right!" (with profound apologies to R. Kiping)

Couldn't agree more! In fact, i mentioned a way around scurvy in my first post, in the original scenario, it was in Navigation, upon the contruction of a "Nava Academy" wonder.

Top Bottom