1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SdKfz 251 Halftrack

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by snafusmith, Mar 7, 2006.

1. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

UPDATED:
    Originally this did not include a separate texture. Now it does. It's also a much smaller file size. Enjoy!

The SdKfz 251 German halftrack (Info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_251 ). By far my best unit to date. Please note that I made the model but the texture is from the Combat Mission Modification Database. Poly count: ~900

Enjoy!

-Smitty

Attached Files:

2. CrazyAce

CrazyAce Prince

:banana: It’s peanutbutta jelly time, with a base ball bat :D

I have no idea how to implement this unit into the game with just one *.nif file to work with.

3. nautil

nautil Warlord

great ! U get better and better. It's amazing how u managed to make it so detailed and yet lo-poly.
    As i see we have nice bunch of skilled artists here.

4. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

5. Paasky

Paasky Good News Everyone!

This or the Opel Blitz? Opel Blitz or this... Nnngh!

Looks beautiful though, good work.

6. woodelf

woodelf Bard

It's actually pretty easy. Make a unit folder in art and put the .nif in it. I'll call it HalfTrack now. I'd also rename the .nif to halftrack.

I've been using smitty's models using the default tank in the ART_DEFINES_UNIT xml. Make a copy of the unit tank part and paste it somewhere in the file. Rename the first line to whatever you're calling this unit and these 3 lines:

<NIF>Art/Units/Tank/Tank.nif</NIF>
    <KFM>Art/Units/Tank/Tank.kfm</KFM>
    <SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Tank/Tank_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>

Change to:

<NIF>Art/Units/HalfTrack/halftrack.nif</NIF>
    <KFM>Art/Units/Tank/Tank.kfm</KFM>
    <SHADERNIF>Art/Units/HalfTrack/halftrack_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>

Now smitty's unit will be in game. :D

7. Drogear

Drogear Prince

This is IMHO better than the opel blitz.

But why not use both? Opel for motorized inf and SdKfz 251 for mech inf.

Infantry wise (ww2) u&#180;ll need regular Inf, Mot Inf and Mec Inf. The same way their modeled in say HOI/HOI2

8. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Thanks for all the comments, it's good to know my work isn't being wasted. I'm thinking of doing an American halftrack next, the M3A1. Any other suggestions though?

-Smitty

9. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Smitty - any chance you could make something like this? Not so much for Star Wars, but as my Colony Pod? It doesn't need a lot of detail.... :D

10. sharick

sharick Warlord

I don't like it. It's too good and Paasky already threatened to remove my Opel :mad:
    Just kiddin' ;)
    One suggestion (same with universal carrier): the filesize is unnecessarily big, convert and compress those textures, than export them separately. If you need help with that just ask me.

11. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

I do need help with that. I like making my textures in that format, and I'm worried compressing them will effect quality. How EXACTLY do you do it (I have photoshop and the dds converter, but am not that familiar with them)?

Thanks

-Smitty

12. sharick

sharick Warlord

I'm not familiar with photoshop dds converter, I use Gimp but I think it's basically the same.
    1. You need to check if the texture size is power of 2 (...32,64,128...). If not resize it, it shouldn't affect your UV coordinates.
    2. Save as .dds, dds options - DX1 compression. You will not loose on quality.
    3. In 3dsmax Material Editor choose new files you created insted of old ones. Check if nothing is messed up.
    4. Export to civ. Choose Original Images in texture options. This way it only saves your model and you need to copy the textures you used to where you want.
    5. Final check - copy Boundshape.nif (from 3dsmax directory) to folder with your model and textures. Open your model nif file. It should open it with Sceneviewer and you can see if nothing's missing and everythig is in right place.

13. I would really appreciate it you could make this. Considering the kinda stuff you've been making, and the speed, it should be dead easy (and ready right... about... now). Ok man, where's the download link!? :lol:

14. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Sorry all, I'm going with the Renault FT17 as my next unit. I'll see what I can do about the others after that.

-Smitty

15. woodelf

woodelf Bard

I'm sure it'll kick butt and I'll try to put it on the Moon somehow. ;)

16. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Don't worry Woodelf, the moon will get its new toys soon enough.

17. Corn Shucker

Corn Shucker Great Khorn

Hmmm, well I was going to edit the texture to fit my own personal useage, but it seems its all in one file- is this unit set up diffearntly than the rest of the units in the game? Can i not edit the texture? I dont have any 3D programs, but I'm not too bad with GIMP in graphical design. Well anyway, just wondering. Good model though :)

18. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Yeah, sorry about that... my textures are odd. When I'm done with the half dozen or so units I'm working on now, I'll go back and fix this texture and the universal carrier to be more conventional.

-Smitty

19. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

FIXED! Check first post!

20. s3d

s3d Warlord

If you could put some very basic human model inside it woudl be a great unit for panzergrenadirs or early mech infantry :)