1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sea Cities

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Derf, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

Before I start I'll make out a few things.
    As you may of noticed I don't post a lot, and I submit even less. I also don't make units well, so I decided against doing them altogether.
    Now then...
    In this modpack you can build Sea Cities by using Sea Settlers and you can build Irrigation, Mining, Roads and Railroads (Not that they do a lot except add trade). I have had to make the coast, sea and Ocean terrain have at least a base production of 1 sheild\food\trade (or your city won't grow and you won't be able to build and improvments).
    The Sea Settler and Worker I made available with Miniturization, since to irrigate any square without access to a river (Unless your Sea City is in the middle of a fresh water lake) you won't be able to irrigate. :(
    I used the Transport anims for this since, as noted above, I don't make units very well. You're welcome to post your ideas as updates for it here if you really feel you must make a new unit.
    Oh, one last thing: I won't post here often, but I will check now and then to see how things are going. Don't let that put you off posting though. ;)

(As mentioned in my latest post, and in the ptw post) I'm re-releasing this, so keep an eye out for the new version)

Attached Files:

2. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

No replies yet? I did say that my repeated silences weren't there to stop you posting...
    Anyway, just a quick one to let everyone know that I'm working on a PTW version of this. I'll upload ASAP - when it's done.

3. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Hi,

To be honest, I've never even thought about making sea-cities in civ3. I didn't know would the game-engine accept that kind of concept. Well, apparently it does :)

But how does the AI handle these types of cities? Also, does it know it can terraform sea too? I think I've heard, that someone once tried it by putting oil on the coastal water, and he made an unit which could make road on coastal waters. If I recall correctly, the AI didn't know how to do that.

So basically this would mean, that the human player would be the only one to benefit from this sea-city-concept.
    But I have no proves to back up that statement. If you (or somebody else) knows better, then please speak up :hammer:

Nevertheless, this is an interesting concept - propably very usable in some MP-mods (should there emerge those :) )

And hey, don't keep yourself from posting, Derf :)

4. ibcoltscrew

ibcoltscrew Prince

The concept is very good in my opinion. You probably know that China and Japan are talking about that... building city on sea :D
    http://www.tdrinc.com/nexus.html
    Do you have a map for this mod or you will use the random from the game ?

5. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I think the main problem with the AI is that you can't use the "terraform"- or "settler"-flag for sea units.So it will not use those units, at least not in the intended way.
    Really sad that the CivIII engine is quite limited (remembering what was already in Alpha Centauri possible...), nevertheless a nice idea!

6. Anarki

Anarki Prince

Yar. I tried this recently. I had it so that you had to get a Tech in Modern Era to build Sea Cities. I decided to dump the idea, since it didn't work very well, and as you say, the AI didn't seem to know what to do.

7. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

aaglo, you're right, the AI doesn't know how to use these - I only put them on all civs availibility since I can't cater for everyone in a seperate scenario.
    ibcoltscrew, the upload is a random map scenario, I don't make maps too well without the generater creating a base to work off.
    Anarki, The AI CAN use these cities - it just has to capture them, which it can't do without marines.
    Thanks for the feedback, a little more on the scenario itself and I'll be able to release the next version along with the PTW version.

8. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

...finally.
    There are a few differences, however. (Full details in the Readme)
    Fortresses, Airbases, Outposts and Radar Towers can now be built on water.
    I have problems with creating a new unit in PTW (I'm experimenting with certain programs to help me in this) so the Civileopedia is the same as the transport.
    Once again (I forgot to put this in post 1) the AI can't use these. They are set to be built on all civs so you can modifiy who builds it when you open it in the editor.
    Anyone want to make a unit for these?
    Edit 31/10/04: The Civ3 PTW mod is slighty wrong and I'm updating as soon as I can. Don't hold out because I've got a fair bit to do and very little Civ3 based!
    Later edit: I'm going to re-release this and vanilla version soon, with a few additions. Keep an eye out for it!

9. skywalker

skywalker Waffle

This just gave me an idea wrt sea resources and trading - if you remove the harbor's ability to allow sea trade, but build water-roads across the ocean, does that allow trading across the ocean?

10. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

I'm not entirely sure. In theory, if you can't trade over ocean, but you build a road from your capital overseas to the rival capital it should give a trade route.
    I'll work on this and let you know of the results.

11. waldoa

waldoa Chieftain

I really like this concept and I might put it into a future mod i'm making where the human player would be the only one who got to use them anyway. Thanks for the hard work!

12. whennrome

whennrome Chieftain

hey i cant down load it its a zip but how do you change it?
    to an mp file?

13. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

I did this before but I didn't figure out how to irrigate, build roades, ect. like you did. Good work! :goodjob:

14. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

Download WinZip for free at www.winzip.com.

Note that after 28 or so days, it will say that you need to buy a liscense. You don't, just keep on using it and it will work (Note that this is not illegal).

15. Babbler

Babbler Deity

You know, a picture is worth a thousands words.

16. MDS

MDS Chieftain

It s sound good. i can't tried because at this time i work oversea. But i think perhaps it would be better when you are not able to build irrigation or mines on the water perhaps it better when you make special buliding for Watercities like underwater farms or something else. And the settler who build the cities must have the ability when he create a watercity that this city get a building like when you build your captial there you get automaticly the palace. I think about a Construction platform or something different that helps the city with food and construction bonus to develop.

But when i am back home i must try this feature.
    (I hope you know what i am trying to say)

17. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

My, I do need to check this more often.
    whennrome, mp files are CivII as far as I know. This is for CivIII, and that doesn't use mp files.
    Sims2789, the tile improvements are simple. Goto the Terrain tab in the editor and raise the irrigation, mine and road bonuses above 0. 0 means it can't have that improvement. As for Radar towers and other PTW and C3C imps, check them on the bottome of the same page.
    Babbler, it's a random map game, so I can't do a lot on this with a picture. Other problems are the fact that the Sea Worker\Settler units are currently based of the Transport, mainly because I can't make units well (I gave up after a modified settler came out 4 times the size).
    MDS, at the moment, I can't do a lot since I can't find C3C and my PTW has crashed, so I'm currently working on that instead. When I get some more feedback on this, I'll work on a second version and email Firaxis, see if they can't help a bit. Not hoping for anything though.
    Pic of a sea city with terrain imps coming as soon as I get Civ3 working properly, and if anyoune wants to make unit graphics for these, go right ahead.
    Well, I think that's all for now.

18. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

waldoa, did a quick experiment on your sea road idea, it turns out you're right. If your sea worker builds a road at sea from your capital to a rival capital, you get a trade route. Just keep an eye on the road, if one bit goes and your link is destroyed, you'd have to have an alternative way of trading.

19. didaskalia7

didaskalia7 Nightmare Proportions

I just downloaded this and will give it a try tonite !
    Looks interesting -- :twitch: :crazyeye:

The land of Cats, Big Cats, little cats, All Cats can do

Moderator Action: You can use the edit button instead of making a new post.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

20. The Omega

The Omega Completely Insane

:nospam:
    All I have too say.
    Smilies! :cool: :xmas: :thanx: :ack: :satan: :nya: :spank: :banana: