Sealed off expedition sites

Khas

Chieftain
So I am playing on a frigid map and there are several expedition sites in water sealed off by impassable terrain (Ice) along the north and south edges of the map.

I tried to phasal transport my explorer there but he would not land in water. I don't know if this is is intended or a bug. I know in general land units cannot be transported in water, but explorers should be an exception as they are the only unit that can construct expedition sites in water.

Is there any other way I am missing that I can use to get my explorer inside those areas?

I'm pretty sure that such sites are purely a random placement made during the random world creation phase. That is, open water or an island are valid locations for the AI to drop in such sites. As mentioned, it requires a hover unit to get to such a location. Unfortunately Explorer units don't hover and neither do Worker units. So a player will NEVER be able to work such imprisoned sites.

I'm pretty sure that such sites are purely a random placement made during the random world creation phase. That is, open water or an island are valid locations for the AI to drop in such sites. As mentioned, it requires a hover unit to get to such a location. Unfortunately Explorer units don't hover and neither do Worker units. So a player will NEVER be able to work such imprisoned sites.

You can get to an ice-locked site with a phasal transporter as long as the ice-locked section has at least one hex of land inside it. However, if the ice-locked section is exclusively water--no, you cannot get to that hex with a worker.

That reminds me of my first CivBE game, there was a explore site completely sealed off by ravines but my hover tanks could reach it but not the damn explorer. That was unpleasant because I went purity. I had hovering everything but explorers. ;_;

RT really needs the "No Ice Hexes" mod that exists for Civ V. It is annoying as heck to lose expedition sites that are locked in ice lakes that have no land access. Either that, or they need a patch that removes expedition site seeding in icy regions, period.

I'd actually prefer that scouts gain hover ability at high affinity levels. Go ahead and lock up some goodies behind ice walls--with the understanding that you will only be able to access them by supercharging your tech development and affinity.

I'd also be in favor of scouts gaining new abilities with affinity, such as the high Harmony players having their scouts gains the ability to cloak on land the ways submarines do in water, high Supremacy get the ability to drive next to hostile cities and take a hacking action to boost spies in that city, and high Purity players having their scouts gain the hover option to grab those hidden goodies.

Right now, scouts are valuable the first half of the game, but then become useless in late game because they are static in development while everything else keeps evolving and improving.

I could be wrong, but certain unit types (that don't hover) can cross ice now. I remember being surprised that something could get over it.

Most high end vehicles can hover and cross ice, and submarine can cross under, but none of them can ferry explorers as far as i know

Two solutions and both would be nice.
1. Have an upgrade for explorers somewhere odd on the tech web. Movement and hover.
2. Give an icebreaker ability to missile cruisers and nuclear subs. A few turns per hex of ice to make it passible. This is not only great for sealed expedition sites, but just generally for making passages around land late game.

Any updates on this? I can get a sub or a hover craft there, but not an explorer
There is a mod out now called hover explorer. It works, and I recommend it.

Two solutions and both would be nice.
1. Have an upgrade for explorers somewhere odd on the tech web. Movement and hover.
2. Give an icebreaker ability to missile cruisers and nuclear subs. A few turns per hex of ice to make it passible. This is not only great for sealed expedition sites, but just generally for making passages around land late game.
There is a mod out now called hover explorer. I did NOT write it ;( but I DO recommend it.

There is a mod out now called hover explorer. I did NOT write it ;( but I DO recommend it.

Can you confirm you can still fight and leash aliens with the hover explorer? There is a comment that this was broken by the mod.

The mod lets you get a hover explorer. You get it with the Engineering tech. The hover explorer cannot attack attack or leash aliens, but it is a separate unit. You cans still build regular explorers while building hover explorers. Could the mod be improved? Yes. Is having it a WHOLE LOT better than not having it? YES!

I am using it with 11 other mods and it is not crashing. I did see a small problem, but it is probably from another mod. I WILL use it again, but not with the same mods.

Oh, I didn't realize it was a separate unit. Way too early to be getting it though.

The mod lets you get a hover explorer. You get it with the Engineering tech. The hover explorer cannot attack attack or leash aliens, but it is a separate unit. You cans still build regular explorers while building hover explorers. Could the mod be improved? Yes. Is having it a WHOLE LOT better than not having it? YES!

I am using it with 11 other mods and it is not crashing. I did see a small problem, but it is probably from another mod. I WILL use it again, but not with the same mods.

I like this idea. I might only build 2 hover explorers -- one for the north polar region, one for the south polar region. With a movement of only two hexes, it would take *forever* to make its way up / down to the other ice pack after clearing out the inaccessible sites in one polar region. Probably would wait until I got the virtue for extra explorer modules, so that I don't have to bring it back for resupply.

I like this idea. I might only build 2 hover explorers -- one for the north polar region, one for the south polar region. With a movement of only two hexes, it would take *forever* to make its way up / down to the other ice pack after clearing out the inaccessible sites in one polar region. Probably would wait until I got the virtue for extra explorer modules, so that I don't have to bring it back for resupply.
The hover explorer comes with 3 moves. I am wanting to start a game soon on one of the heavy ice planets. ;)

Top Bottom