SEAsia WWII Scenario 'Defeat into Victory'

rhodie

Bwana M'Kubwa
Defeat into Victory PTW Scenario

This historical game is the Allied struggle to contain and then reverse earlier successes inflicted on Southeast Asian countries by the overwhelming Japanese invasion forces between 1941-5.

The antagonist is the Japanese Empire poised in neighbouring Indo China.
Siam (Thailand) became an ally of the Japanese after it was invaded.
Burma was part of the Allied forces but Burman nationalist forces joined the Japanese (changing sides when the war eventually turned).
India and Malaya were under British control.
Sumatra was a lightly defended Dutch colony.
The western part of China was the last stronghold of nationalist Chinese forces that had fought a losing battle against Japan for four years.

There are many new units, terrain, opening images, wonders and recourses in this scenario - hence the large size.

Defeat into Victory 24.9MB

Unzip the 'Defeat into Victory' folder into your Civ III PTW scenarios folder: -
Infogrames Interactive/Civilization III/CIV3PTW/Scenarios/Defeat into Victory
Then open the 'Defeat into Victory' scenario folder and move the 'Defeat into Victory.Civ3XE' scenario file back outside the folder to the CivilizationIII\CIV3PTW\scenario folder.

quite!

(but with my DSL that would take me about.... 10 minutes... hehe)

Lynx, please use the "Edit" button above your post rather than addstill another one-liner. --Padma

The scenario is really fun, I played with British Empire and had everyone against Japan (just testing). Japanese captured some of my cities in Malesia and I would've taken the city back next turn but the city was "captured" by Malaría of Mother Nature. A deserted city where no one wants to go:lol:
Anyway this scenario rocks:goodjob:

Really? 10 minutes? That must be the reason that no-one wants DSL!

Sorry - not trying to start a war - but is cable not in your area? I am moving stuff to work (200 MB) thru a VPN and downloading thru the VPN and I still get 25 MB in under 5 mins!

Can't wait to play this one!

Sorry about the scenario size but your lucky to have a high speed connection. It took me 25 minutes to upload.
Please to hear that you are enjoying the game. Playing the Japanese is more challenging as the British have a greater dominance from the beginning.
Check out the Civilopedia for the new units and new advances chart.
Let me know how you get on.
Cheers
Rhodie

rhodie,

This scenario looks VERY good and very detailed. I haven't had a chance to really play it out, but I did load it (as the British) to take a look at the map and units.

I must say that I am very impressed by the amount of detail that you have provided for this scenario, especially all the the "little" things like strategies, history, etc. That's the kind of thing that most "player-made" scenarios lack...and--to me anyway--that's the kind of thing that can raise the "cool factor" of any game or scenario.

One thing though...the cities all start off with zero culture, meaning that they only have minimal boundaries within which to farm and produce (at least for several turns until their cultural boundaries expand). [In other words, there are only 9 tiles the cities can "work" instead of the full 21 tiles after the city reaches at least 10 culture points.]

The problem that this produces is mostly for the larger cities (with populations of 10+) in that they don't have enough tiles in which to produce sufficient food to feed the city population. This means that for the first few turns, many of these large cities loose population each turn due to sarvation.

If the cities--at least the larger ones--started with at least ten culture points, then their cultural boundaries would be expanded at the start of the game and this "problem" would no longer exist.

Just my two cents. Otherwise, things look really great!

Hi Cantankerous
Thanks for your appreciation and constructive comment regarding the 'cultural' city allocation. I'll certainly modify my next scenarios with that in mind.
For the moment though, it will just be another hurdle to victory.

Now that a few Civ fanatics have downloaded this scenario, maybe someone would like to try multi-play? All 'tribes' are playable.
Rhodie

i am game to play any side, this was the conflict that came rise to this nation.

i would truely wanted to see the jap with the feared yamato class of battleship and super support carrier.
and the british with it's ill-supported prince of wales...

pls inform me if the culture has been fixed. :mischief:

As the Grandson of a campaign-long XIVth Army veteran, my thanks :goodjob: for remembering the "Forgotten War." I haven't actually touched Civ3 in a fair bit except for a PBEM game, but I'll give this a try later this week.

Hello Akinkhoo
Sorry about the long delay in replying but I've been moving across continents.
a/ To the best of my knowledge, Japanese capital ships were not involved in the Bay of Bengal and South China Sea around India, Burma & Malaya. Maybe someone has created a Pacific scenario?
b/ The 'culture' modification is something that I'll include in my next scenario.
Anyway, I hoped you enjoyed the scenario?

you are right,the capital ship didn't fight in SEA campaige, the closer i could recall, was the battle fleet stopover at brunei for fuel before engaging the american taskforce east of philippines near the end of the conflict.

so i guess it is pretty accurate in strength.

i will be looking forward to the cultured version :)

Top Bottom