1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Season Change (Alternate Terrain, Units, etc.) Discuss.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by yoshi, Mar 31, 2004.

1. yoshi

yoshi Chieftain

A feature that I'd really be interested in seeing implemented into C3C is a season-change feature. Thing is, I can't think of a simple enough way to do it without complicating things too much.

The simplest thing I can think of is to just have one alternate terrain for each terrain type and likewise for units, cities, etc. This would also involve a second set of Rules.

Then have a flag for months. Those months that are checked will trigger the alternate files.

Anyone care to improve on that?

When the alternate info is triggered by

2. EddyG17

EddyG17 Chieftain

Interesting,
    Winter could make units go slower, give the defender a bonus.
    Spring could give the attacker a bonus( because you always hear that to send an invation you should always wait until spring)
    Summer and Fall could be neutral.

3. Adalid

Adalid Chieftain

I'm not so sure about spring being an avantage for offensive ops.
    Mud stinks. I guess it would depend on the geographical area.

4. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I think that Firaxis is pretty much done with C3C. This sounds more like a Civ4 sug to me.

5. yoshi

yoshi Chieftain

Yeah this one's probably pushing it...but it can't hurt! :D

Being soemone who likes WW2 scens, this feature would make all the difference; wars have in many ways been dictated by season change (even the recent US attack on Iraq).

Some of the best Civ2 scenarios used batch files to overrite files; the result was that you would actually have winter units, moving on winter terrain with winter stats (e.g. Roads give less bonus, aircraft have less range) during the winter months. Makes for some excellent strategy gaming, especially in MP.

(Would be really neat to see how a Civ3 WW2 Europe scenario would play using seasons...especially with all the new features introduced in C3C.)

Also note that you could mod the alternate info to seasons other than just winter.

6. Bleser

Bleser Chieftain

Sounds like a good idea, but I think you might be getting on too much of a small time scale for regular epic games. The clock ticks by at 2, 5, 10, 50 years at a time, and modeling/stategizing around each year's season sounds a bit too small scale.

It would be a great mod for a scenario, however, like the conquests or others.

7. sealman

sealman Hater of Babylonians

8. yoshi

yoshi Chieftain

Bleser is definitely correct about the time scale. And, even if you were to at least divide years into two parts in a mod of the vanilla game, the continuous season change every second turn would drive players nuts.

Yes, this would be a mod-only application (I guess that pretty much kills it).

Nevertheless, how much of a difference do you really think it would make? Would it enhance the civ-ing (mod) experience to the point of justifying its implementation as a mod-only application (i.e. does nothing for players who don't dig scens)?