Seatbelt laws

Should seatbelts be mandatory on public roads?

• Total voters

Truronian

Quite unfamiliar
Retired Moderator
I never realised this was an issue for some people before reading the "Libertarian" thread.

What are the arguments for not making seatbelts mandatory for drivers and passengers in cars (on public roads)?

I'd like to see how the extra deaths and injuries from not wearing seatbelts have a positive effect on the economy, the health sector, and insurance premiums.

It's in my rational self interest to advocate libertarians not wearing seatbelts on principle.

One of the major reasons is that any vehicular accident which would otherwise result in a charge of dangerous driving would be upgraded to death by dangerous driving/vehicular homicide.

The 10th Amendment of the Constitution says the Federal Government can't mandate seat belt usage.

I don't think that wearing seatbelts should be mandatory. What's the gain? By that, I mean how many people wear seatbelts purely because the law requires them to, as a percentage of all drivers? How strictly is the law enforced, and how do you justify putting police resources to that use when they could be better used elsewhere? If you aren't going to enforce the law, why bother having it as a law in the first place?

Would seatbelt utilization rates drop substantially if there were not mandatory seatbelt laws?

It comes down to whether you think people have the right to be stupid and put their own lives at risk.

I would consider making it mandatory for parents to put seatbelts on kids a good thing, I would say it's almost child abuse/endangerment.

But if a hill billy wants to drive his Ford truck w/out a seatbelt, I don't care.

He might occupy my place in the emergency department, so I care.

He might occupy my place in the emergency department, so I care.

This is only bad if we assume you aren't in the emergency department for doing something stupid yourself :D (And this is a good reason to oppose illegal immigrants :eek: )

We should just make a law to not get hurt, that'll solve everything.

There is no such thing as liberty on the road; safety is the first priority.

There was an interesting saying someone on The Daily Show said on stuff like this. It went something like "You could deregulate the speed limits on the road and we'd all get to our destinations faster, but a lot more people would be dead in the process."

There is no such thing as liberty on the road; safety is the first priority.

I agree with this. Putting people behind the wheel of large metal objects going 60+ is more dangerous than handing out guns, IMO.

The safety of others comes before the rights and liberties of the individual. If the risk to do harm outweighs the applied freedom of some liberty, than we have to make a law to protect people.

In the cases when no one except the individual has the risk of injury, I say let them be idiots.

The 10th Amendment of the Constitution says the Federal Government can't mandate seat belt usage.
The US Constitution is neither universal nor absolute. This is a question of ideology, not of constitutional validity, something which Americans (all of stripes, mark you) are a little too willing to seek refuge in.

Many countries do not have seatbelt laws, and they are fine.

You just have to learn to be careful I suppose.

What does "fine" mean, in this context? Do these countries have a proportional level of road deaths? Do they have more stringent restrictions in other areas? Are there other factors at play? Nobody ever suggested that a lack of seatbelt laws would make the seas boil and the moon fall from the sky, after all, just that it might waste a few more lives than needed wasted.

I would argue that not wearing a seatbelt makes you a danger to other drivers on the road, as in the event of a head on collision you (and your passenger) are going to fly into the unfortunate car you crash into. It's the same reason people are obligated to ensure roof-racks are attached securely.

From what I understand, these countries, China for instance, do not have a higher proportion of road deaths. But I think its more due to the harsher penalties that force people to be careful.

The US Constitution is neither universal nor absolute. This is a question of ideology, not of constitutional validity, something which Americans (all of stripes, mark you) are a little too willing to seek refuge in.

It's also irrelevant within America, as ideologically speaking you could simply desire all states to individually make seatbeat laws.

You just have to learn to be careful I suppose.

like not getting into that accident you accidentaly (get it?) got into? sure would be helpful if you got a little heads up before you got into an accident that would leave you a vegetable and cost someone a fortune to keep alive/repair about five minutes prior to having said accident, right?

personally, I don't care as long as you don't hit me as you are flying through your windshield. on the other hand there are laws dictacting that you need to provide first aid or any kind of help you can to people in life-threatening situations. also you are not allowed to say "just friggin jump already, you ninny" to someone who is suicidal or even lend them a helping hand.

I don't see how being stupid excempts you from people with that durn book-learning trying to save your life. or that schmuck you accidentaly hit while being oh so careful from living with having had killed some dint in an accident.

then again I buckle up when still on the parking lot so what do I know?

PS: you could try and be careful by buckling up. heard it helps.

I would argue that not wearing a seatbelt makes you a danger to other drivers on the road, as in the event of a head on collision you (and your passenger) are going to fly into the unfortunate car you crash into. It's the same reason people are obligated to ensure roof-racks are attached securely.

Another major reason is, as someone whose studies and eventually profession is going to be dealing with RTCs, is that it's bloody selfish, since one of us is gonna have to scrape you off the tarmac.

RTCs are probably the most horrific and traumatising criminal incidents that exists, and the clean up is usually measured in how many pieces have to be scooped into plastic bags for sorting out back at the office.
It's actually a lot gorier than terrorist incidents and bombs, and I tell you, morons without seat belts spread out over the road isn't a particularly nice way to spend your time.

Factor in the civvies that get invovled in these too, which aren't being paid for it, and you're just being a selfish twunt if you don't wear your belt, and fully expect to not even receive an open casket funeral.

Top Bottom