Seat's not taken, but you won't take it

So I saw the aisle strategy defeated today while riding the train downtown to court. A young woman gets on the train and a young man sitting on a side facing seat relinguished his seat. Then in the forward-facing row adjacent to these seats, was a guy that was using the aisle seat strategy. The guy that just gave up his seat tapped the seat hog on the shoulder and made him relinguish the window seat. This actually put the shoulder tapper in a much better position as the aisle guy would feel social pressure every time a woman or elderly person got on the train. The shoulder tapper was now safely trapped by the window and no longer felt social pressure to give up his seat. Brilliant tactics and timing by the shoulder tapper given the way the train usually fills up.

So I saw the aisle strategy defeated today while riding the train downtown to court. A young woman gets on the train and a young man sitting on a side facing seat relinguished his seat. Then in the forward-facing row adjacent to these seats, was a guy that was using the aisle seat strategy. The guy that just gave up his seat tapped the seat hog on the shoulder and made him relinguish the window seat. This actually put the shoulder tapper in a much better position as the aisle guy would feel social pressure every time a woman or elderly person got on the train. The shoulder tapper was now safely trapped by the window and no longer felt social pressure to give up his seat. Brilliant tactics and timing by the shoulder tapper given the way the train usually fills up.

The aisle guy should have moved into the window seat when tapped.

The aisle guy should have moved into the window seat when tapped.
He should have, but the body language of the tapper indicated that the aisle guy had already chosen unwisely and that the tapper wanted to empty seat, not the one already occupied.

Look like you're a hobo/rapist.

Does wonders.

This...during the winter I let my beard grow out and I start wearing fingerless gloves and this hideous olive green coat that really looks homeless like. Just to top it off I use this mouthwash or breath freshener that reeks a bit of strong alcohol. Almost guaranteed empty seat next to you. Also use a brandless black winter cap (whats the word in english for it?) to complete the look.

Also use a brandless black winter cap (whats the word in english for it?) to complete the look.

A tuque/knit hat/beanie? Yeah, that's definitely hobo headgear right there. Thanks for the specific clothing suggestions.

I think being creepily friendly is most likely the best option. Smiling at people as they walk up, or even motioning to them or verbally inviting them to sit with you would most likely scare them away. If for some reason they do come, start some incredibly awkward/personal conversation about them. They will most likely leave or at least keep to themselves. "When was the last time your mother told you that she loved you?" "When did you first consider yourself a man/adult?" "How often do you get the runs? What is the most common color for you?" etc etc

He should have, but the body language of the tapper indicated that the aisle guy had already chosen unwisely and that the tapper wanted to empty seat, not the one already occupied.

No you just move to the window seat quickly and ignore the body language.
You can say if you wish "I was keeping the aisle seat for my ?////? but it looks like they have lost it know, I prefer the window";)

I usually place my bag and coat on the seat besides me. I find this is acceptable as long as their are enough empty seats.
When the train starts to fill there will come a point that there are still several empty seats but that it the chances of someone sitting next to me increases. At this point I start looking at people to see where they want to sit. 9 out of 10 the people getting on the train will take a different seat*.
If the amount of free seats is really low I just continue reading and occasionally looking up if I notice that someone is looking for a seat. Mostly people will then ask me whether they can sit next to me. Obviously I say yes at that point.

*Note; I also start to move my stuff a bit around as if I'm willing to clear the seat but I wouldn't like it.

Fake an argument into a mobile phone. Preferably about something stupid like whether or not honey and marmalade are the same thing.

You don't need to listen to loud or obnoxious music to keep people away from you - just make sure to sing along to whatever you are listening to. (The best use of this tactic I've seen came from a girl on the train who started rapping to herself.)

Hold a clipboard and a pen in your hand. They will think you're one of those annoying people that ask questions/donations on the street.

Hold a Bible or a book of Mormon in your hand. But i always sit next to the mormon guy with his book just to freak him out. (i look like a hobo crack addict before my morning coffee, even the ticket inspectors avoid me !)

Hold a small unmarked plastic bag of white flour in your hand.

There are a lot more, but most are rasist. :D

Fake an argument into a mobile phone. Preferably about something stupid like whether or not honey and marmalade are the same thing.
I like this idea a lot. :D

Watch MLP on your phone. And ask them who their favorite pony is. Bonus; it also works online!
Speaking from experience? :mischief:

Hold a small unmarked plastic bag of white flour in your hand.
That could be interesting. And not necessarily in a good way.

There are a lot more, but most are rasist. :D
We are in the Tavern though. As long as it's not too extreme, feel free to post them.

Hold a clipboard and a pen in your hand. They will think you're one of those annoying people that ask questions/donations on the street.

This is excellent. To add to this suggestion add a water proof anarok with a name of a charity printed on the back. I do not like getting stopped by them, with their good causes! Doo--gooders!!!!

Top Bottom