Second 1.15 Release Candidate

Leoreth

Blue Period
I fixed the source of a crash and several smaller errors in the VD module of the previous release candidate. The installer is available here as usual. It contains all the latest git changes as well.

I'm getting the attached on install. Total path is C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization\Assets

Attachments

• path too long.JPG
    path too long.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 210
  • path too long 2.JPG
    path too long 2.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 181
hello now 1.15 version is released ? ?

i think there s something problem here

and the wonders are not added in this version ? world trade center and so on ?

Moderator Action: Please don't create multiple posts in quick succession, instead edit your original post -- Leoreth

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 541
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting the attached on install. Total path is C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization\Assets

You can solve this yourself: uninstall your Civ4 and install it again into another folder with a shorter path... that should help. Unfortunately the path "Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games" is unnecessary long.
Use something like C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\

As mentioned, trying to limit the install location for the mod can solve this problem. But I have made note of the offending files and will try to shorten their name to mitigate this problem as much as possible.

hello now 1.15 version is released ? ?
No, this is a pre-release. The intention is to provide people easy access to the version about to be released so errors can be detected and fixed before the final release.

i think there s something problem here
Noted.

and the wonders are not added in this version ? world trade center and so on ?
No, the new wonders are outside the scope for 1.15. You can see the full changelog here.

now that i've gotten familiar with the new tech tree, gameplay is so much better. a lot of additional depth. add the new map come DOC 1.17 and we'll basically have a new game.
I know it's a lot of changes at once, so good to hear that it comes together into a more interesting game.

I know it's a lot of changes at once, so good to hear that it comes together into a more interesting game.

The new Tech Tree is absolutely amazing, while I would rather have [or] or [and [or]] trees for the sake of versatility, I absolutely love how there's so many techs to choose from at any one time, but every single tech somehow has a huge impact on the game.

Except alchemy. I've never once looked forward to getting alchemy. The building is pretty underwhelming what with only giving 1 scientist slot and having no other useful effect until you industrialize. (health isn't really necessary until then)

Heavy Galleys are good, but I don't really play naval civs, so I never really use them. I just think the alchemy building is pretty meh.

TL;DR The new Tech Tree is aesthetically pleasing, well crafted, and has a solid structure, except Alchemy.

Well that's exactly the reason why OR does not work in this tree. It would be too easy to skip certain techs.

Well that's exactly the reason why OR does not work in this tree. It would be too easy to skip certain techs.
That's why I like the idea of [and[or]], where one or more techs are required and then you can choose from 2 or more optional techs. In a tech tree I made I had Sailing require Boating and either Trapping or Textiles, or Writing require Record Keeping and either Pottery or Trapping.

Granted, that Tech Tree was worked on for about 2 hours before I got distracted, and it's far from complete. It'll probably require a huge amount more work for an [and[or]] tree than a simple [and] one, for obvious reasons.

Again, just me rambling about my dreams for a game with a structured yet versatile tree, the current one is perfect as-is.

Does this RC adjust tech costs compared to the previous RC? Are tech costs finalized for 1.15?

Any more flexible tech tree, even an [and[or]] one, would be much harder to balance in terms of overall speed. That is one reason why most historical grand strategy games, like EU4 or RFCE, have very harsh penalties to prevent ahistorical fast teching.

DoC 1.15's tech tree is already a lot more flexible than those counterparts.

As mentioned, trying to limit the install location for the mod can solve this problem. But I have made note of the offending files and will try to shorten their name to mitigate this problem as much as possible.

it can be tried this workaround:
from command line enter the command
SUBST V: "C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword"

then refer to that path with V:
for example
V:Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization\Assets

(V can be any letter but C or other used by your system)

Oh that's a good solution. Never considered mounting your directory as a virtual hard drive. Will keep that in mind for people with similar problems.

Does this RC adjust tech costs compared to the previous RC? Are tech costs finalized for 1.15?

Afaik, yes.

This is so exciting! Looking forward to v1.16 and v1.17 right now.

Sorry, forgot to answer the question. Yes, this includes adjusted tech costs. But they are not yet finalized. I'm still working on bugs, balance comes later.

Oh that's a good solution. Never considered mounting your directory as a virtual hard drive. Will keep that in mind for people with similar problems.

Perhaps this should be in the FAQ?

How am I installing wrong? I just reinstalled Civ 4, warlords, and beyond the sword back on steam and then copy and pasted the files to /games. I then downloaded 1.14 into beyond the sword mods, and then pasted 1.15 into that file. Now when I start up the mod, I get no civilizations and only Random as an option. Also, every single VD file comes up as an error.

How am I installing wrong? I just reinstalled Civ 4, warlords, and beyond the sword back on steam and then copy and pasted the files to /games. I then downloaded 1.14 into beyond the sword mods, and then pasted 1.15 into that file. Now when I start up the mod, I get no civilizations and only Random as an option. Also, every single VD file comes up as an error.
Wait, you pasted 1.15 into 1.14? Is there a 1.15 Patch I don't know about? So much was changed in 1.15, I don't think drag and drop replace would simply work if you're using the version I think you're using.

Try moving the 1.14 files to another folder and add the 1.15 files into the mods folder with the usual name (RFC Dawn of Civilization, IIRc)

Well I would hope that the version you think I'm using is the version I just said I was using.

Edit: So I just reinstalled into my game file without pasting the install into 1.14, and without VD, and now it works! Was it the fact I moved away from the location that I specified in the installer, or was it because of the combining of 1.14 and 1.15?

Edit edit: I used the installer. Never could get GitHub to work, hence my absence.

Last edited:
Well I would hope that the version you think I'm using is the version I just said I was using.
I mean where'd you get that 1.15 version? Installer? Github? I'm not aware of any 1.15 Patch for 1.14 is what I was saying, and if you're using the Installer or Github like I think you're using, I'm saying I don't think what you think would work would work.

There is no patch from 1.14, and I rarely release something like this because it is so much work to make. The only time I do it is if I find a game breaking bug shortly after release so the people who are not using the Git version can have a stable game. So the right way to install the mod is always to do a clean install, and delete a previous installation before.

The only way to get incremental updates is Git, which is one of its main advantages.

Should we leave feedback here for this version? Or would you rather work off GitHub feedback?

Top Bottom