1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Second City Placement - Emperor

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by SittinDown, Jul 15, 2016.

1. nate46

nate46 Chieftain

Its getting better. Definitely getting better.

You have enough workers now (arguably one too many), but I think you could have built 1 or 2 more cities by now, and you still have the problem of unworked improvements in amsterdam. If you can't use an improvement, don't build it, just chop forests instead. The extra cottage in amsterdam is pointless, since even at size 6 you won't be able to work it. You're still not working the cows, which makes me question why you spent ~6 worker turns on a pasture for them.

I don't think cottages in amsterdam are worth it since long term that city is probably a Great person factory rather than a cottage city. Can just work lakes for now and chop, don't need to waste worker turns improving that city so much.

The cottages in the other cities are good though.

i think if you really tweak this, you can be in about the same position you are now, just with 1 or 2 extra cities. You have enough workers, now try chopping some settlers too.

2. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Chieftain

seconded

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

thirded

Folks here who play will post in spoilers anyway, so you can check out their stuff later.

4. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I understand his reasons for not posting the start save, i think in a learning game only his play matters and so far this works better than usual games of that kind.

Keep your attention on his game, rather than pushing for this imo..

5. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

Turn 104 - 275 BC.

3960 BC saved. (I was dumb and didn't save the 4000). I've got far enough into the game I'm ready to share the start save. Enjoy! View attachment emp-dutch-doubleCorn-3960-BC.CivBeyondSwordSave

Spoiler :

Chopped even more, and settled earlier and more than last time.
    Same tech order to 71. Then Masonry / Math / Const.
    Capital in Utrecht, with Academy.

Diplo:
    Got Judaism first from Boudica, so I converted. That pissed of Justianian, but I don't really case, since it's me and Boudica against him, and he's falling behind.

Alpha was ok - got Hunting, Myst, and IW (teched for 1 turn) for Alpha . I could have bulbed Aesth instead of academy, so that might have let me trade IW.

Currency was useless for trades - though fgn trade routes helped. They have no money - waiting for the pyramids to be built so I can sell some stuff.

The Hague is mostly slow building units - 5 turns to slow build cats. been whipping every 10-12 turns and chopped away all the forests. Built 7 cats and 8 axes, and took the barbarian city to the North and locked up all the Ivory that I know of. in 2 turns I'll be able to start building War Elephants. Justinian should be an easy war - can get to all his cities fast, and he still just has Axe / Arch / Sword.

6. nate46

nate46 Chieftain

Looks like its coming along nicely.

7. nate46

nate46 Chieftain

one thing: i don't think taking the barb city is worth the maintenance. should have just left it there, it might even draw out justinian's troops if he decides to attack it.

the cat attack will be a little bit later than i usually attack but its fine in this case since you've boxed in justinian so well. He'll be a sitting duck to any attack even if it comes a bit later than a typical elepult war.

after you take out justinian you should beeline civil service. can probably still be the first to lib and once you add his cities you'll have a pretty good sized empire to go with your tech lead.

8. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

Hi! You're building axemen in 4 cities, yet you are 2 turns away from war elephants. I'd only be building catapults now and then WEs as soon as they're available. Just bring the axes you already have as stack defenders, especially if you go after boudica next. She might have some well promoted spears.

9. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Academy in Utrecht was best, no doubt :)
    You always want one in strong commerce Caps.
    First good bulb is usually Philo, cheap techs (compared to bulb power) like Aest, maths, alpha only as emergency or for special plans.

Cheap colliseums are a plus for construction here, but it's worth mentioning that HAs are faster (on normal speed for sure).
    Wars are over quicker with their speed, and your attack date can be earlier. Construction costs more than double beakers.

So on normal speed if you see horsies early, think HAs before Cats.
    Worth trying and getting good with them.

Moving on, i would not have teched HBR now.
    War eles are a bit overkill, Cats allow you taking every city anyways.
    And 1 Jumbo = almost 2 Axes.
    + it's useful seeing that you can be fine without them, when there's no Ivory.

Attacking Boudi is not really needed, you will have so much (strong) land already after Justi and she will like you.

A nice switch to "economy" techs works best, when you can already be satisfied with your units. Aest and Lit (marble), CoL and CS.

10. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

nate
    I didn't think of that. It was blocking trade routes with Boudica. Also it has 2 resources I otherwise lack (wheat, and sugar). The jungle is a pain though, and I think I may regret it.

Qactus
    Good point. I was building the axes before I decided to switch to elephants, and got little sloppy in the last few turns there to convert them over.

Fippy
    Yeah, I need to up my HA rush game. I usually avoid that tech path. I was considering Metal Casting / CoL instead, but HBR was only 3-4 turns at 100%.

11. Lennier

Lennier Chieftain

Did you check the autosave folder? The starting save (before you do anything) is in that folder unless you either start another game or deliberately move or delete it.