1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Second expansion?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by darko82, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Llednar Twem

Llednar Twem Prince

I don't see how having the ability to use hybrid affinities automatically makes the affinities less unique. I mean, Magic for example has extensive support for multi-color decks, but the individual colors themselves remain distinct in flavor and playstyle. I'd say it's more of an execution problem here than an inherent problem with the idea.

2. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

The ideal for hybrid affinities, at least in my opinion, is for them to be their own distinct philosophy which borrows some elements of their parent affinities while remaining distinctive and, in ways, opposed to them.

3. kipwheeler

kipwheeler Warlord

I'd point out that Magic has five colors, rather than three. That's 40% more available variety in flavor (or possibly a lot more, if you look at all the ways you can combine those colors). BE is different with only three affinities to start with, which makes for a lot less variety. Adding the hybrids helped with the limited variety, but making each hybrid unique would help even more.

4. EvilNed

EvilNed Chieftain

I'm giving a hybrid affinity a go for the first time in my campaign.

In fact, this time is the only time I've actually focused my research toward my own chosen affinity more or less exclusively - Harmony. In all prior games, I've more or less chosen research depending on what I consider that I need next.

I like this approach better tho, as it gets you to some of the mid-game units quicker.
    For varieties' sake I've gone for the Harmony-Supremacy hybrid.
    Don't mind the Hybrids really. But to me, when playing, since I don't direct my research that much, Hybrids are more things that just happen. "Oh I can upgrade this unit to a hybrid now? Cool".

5. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Diplomatic capital was a new currency, like CiV's religion, just without the spread mechanic and with more ways to spend. It was a very good step, but something as drastic as tourism & ideologies is lacking.

6. x2Madda

x2Madda Prince

Yeah there was talk about turning Civ:be into a franchise but given that Civ5 still beats it (on steam in terms of people actively playing it) I would at this point welcome an expansion pack to Civ5 than to Civ:BE.

I wanted to like Civ:BE, it honestly felt like Civ5 meets Civ4 but ultimately, Civ4 still exists as does Civ5 as does Alpha Centuri. Civ:BE is a hodgepodge of all 3 but never feels like it expands on what came before it. Infact in many ways it seems to reign in on each predecessor for no reason I can discern.

As I have said in the past, I am glad Civ:BE happened so that the design ideas that went into it can be recycled and fine tuned in future Civ games for example we now know that infinite trade routes is absurd and not fun to micromanage but we also learned that amphibious trade routes are fine. Ultimately however given that trade routes can be made to last till infinity, what was wrong with the old trade route system of just building roads between cities which we have had since Civ2?

7. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

At this point, I would be surprised if a BE franchise was still on the table.

BE and Rising Tide did introduce some nice concepts that I hope Firaxis will use in future civ titles. I think the new diplomacy with the leader traits and diplo agreements has a lot of potential. I hope we see some form of it in civ6.

8. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Have faith, fellow Firaxknight.

It's still on the table; prepare for dessert.

9. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

Firaxis has a plan and they follow through with it. that may explain the release of the RT expansion after the base game received not so stellar user reviews. :D

if civ6 will be released in 2016, then it was feature-locked years ago. however, maybe, civ:be was a testing ground for features and/or gameplay concepts. therefore, some game mechanics from civ:be may find their way into civ6 (assuming that those game mechanics were approved before feature-lock and were deemed "successful" in civ:be), but I doubt it.

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I hope you are right. I really want BE to get a 2nd expansion that is amazing and makes BE fantastic.

Well, I still think BE was meant to be a test bed for future game ideas.

11. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

To be fair, every Civ game has been a test bed of new ideas.

12. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

True but the scifi nature of BE makes it a little bit unique in that regards. You expect a historical civ to be a test bed of new ideas for a another historical civ game.

13. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

At this point, I'm almost expecting Nomadic Civs somewhere down the Civ VI pipeline building off of the tech made for BERT mobile aquatic cities. This probably wouldn't have gotten developed in a Historical Civ game.

14. EvilNed

EvilNed Chieftain

Not a bad idea. It could be implemented with pro's and con's. A nomadic civ would for instance not be able to build farms and some other food producing improvements. But in return maybe their units would get +1 movement or something like that.

15. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I was wondering whether firaxis would bring out civilization 6 and after that a second expansion for Civ BE. I actually don't expect it. Considering when civ V was brought out it is time to bring out the next civ. But I believe there is also some request from players for a second expansion. So would they take such a decision?

I definitlye like the idea of having nomads in the game. But I would rather suggest a difference here. I think it shouldn't be nomadic civs but nomadic tribes acting like cities available only in early-mid game. Such that you could have both cities and nomadic tribes with more or less same functions with each their benefits and restrictions.

16. sugerdady87

sugerdady87 Warlord

I think they should start working on Civ6 instead of a second expansion for BE, if they had to choose. I have friends who simply aren't interested in a science fiction version of Civ. The historically aspect of series is a big lure.

17. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

I'm certain they have been working on Civ VI. Games are developed in advance. Studios like Firaxis who have multiple IPs tend to be working on the next game even before they finish releasing the ones we hear about. Civ VI will come.

However, I think it would be a waste of time, money, and opportunity to simply ditch Beyond Earth.

18. Packherd2

Packherd2 Warlord

A missed opportunity, yes, but they seem to have sunk a lot of time and money into it already and it's not growing the same sort of audience as Civ 5 or generating buzz like XCOM 2. At what point should they write it off as a loss?

I get the impression that it was supposed to be a triple A property. It doesn't seem to have performed that way, in a business sense, but perhaps it had two expansions built into it. Unless something really turns around and makes it into a hit, I think Beyond Earth calls the base + two expansions model into question.

After all, Alpha Centauri only ever had one expansion.

19. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

BE lacked some basic things on release like background art for the tech, affinity, quest windows. That just seems very uncharacteristic of a triple A game. Usually, triple A games have a lot of attention to detail. Civ5 put a lot of detail into each civ. XCOM2 has a lot of little touches that show the time and effort the dev team put into the game. If BE was intended to be triple A game, then maybe it lacked the budget. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy BE a lot. I just don't think it was developed as a triple A game. Rather, I get the impression that Firaxis sees BE has a second tier franchise.

20. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

I just want reason to actually care about the aliens and the planetary wonder thing....