Second expansion?

really, I thought they were based out that way

Yeah, they are pretty close I think. But I guess they decided to skip it. I can only assume that they have nothing to show. I doubt that they would also skip E3. I am thinking that they might have decided to skip Pax in order to prepare for a big announcement like civ6 at E3.

Here is the exact tweet I got from Firaxis (correction: it was FiraxisGames that tweeted me, not Pete):

Firaxis Games
‏@FiraxisGames@JamesHoffmann3 @FXSPeteMurray Firaxis won't have a presence at PAX East, so make sure you wear your best Civ/XCOM shirt to represent us!

Firaxis is based in a Baltimore suburb. PAX East is in Boston (about 400 miles north).

ah I was getting my American B cities mixed up

Next week will be exactly a year since Rising Tide was announced.

Also, E3 is coming up in mid June.

Stellaris was just released today, so the hype among 4X gamers may start to cool down by next week.

The timing may be right for an announcement next week or the one after to startup the hype again for another October release. :D :please:

Yeah there was talk about turning Civ:be into a franchise but given that Civ5 still beats it (on steam in terms of people actively playing it) I would at this point welcome an expansion pack to Civ5 than to Civ:BE.

Or instead of either a second Civ 5 or BE expansion they take the best of BE and extend the base Civ 6 ending date to circa the 2400s, seed in the best elements of BE, flesh it out with new techs and units, and tack on several new eras to cover this timeframe. This would then focus a greater dev team on Civ 6 (i.e. those who had been working on BE), as well as creating a broader platform for a greater fanbase (i.e. one planetary TBS game to draw in fans from the stone age to the Age of Ascension).

D

A second Civ 5 expansion :D (What happened to bnw? :p)

All jokes aside, Firaxis does start simple, so I am not sure how much they will include of BE in base Civ 6. Maybe in later expansions.

Civ BE was requested to be more and more different from Civ V, so I don't think anybody would be happy with Civ 6 being merged with BE. Especially since BE is suppose to be at the nearest star, alpha centauri.

Well... I guess that's it for BE. :undecide:

I hope they leapfrog the franchises and we get a Beyond Earth 2 in the future. I guess a fresh start is probably best instead of trying to salvage the existing state of the game. Firaxis will be able to correct/avoid many of the mistakes of the first one, and make many of its great qualities even better. Plus, we won't have to deal with existing core mechanics -- like 1UPT!

Now... time to read-up on more Civ 6!

I hope they leapfrog the franchises and we get a Beyond Earth 2 in the future. I guess a fresh start is probably best instead of trying to salvage the existing state of the game. Firaxis will be able to correct/avoid many of the mistakes of the first one, and make many of its great qualities even better. Plus, we won't have to deal with existing core mechanics -- like 1UPT!
On some level, I just hope that Civ6 is more moddable than Civ5 so we can make our own Civ6:BE! ;)

Shame, though, while I kind of understand why Civ:BE has been abandoned with XCOM2 and Civ6 firing on all cylinders... I expected at least another patch or two for Civ:BE to tweak the balance a bit more to leave it in a more playable state for people jumping in.

Plus: I'm rather sad that they haven't given us the DLL source like for Civ4 and Civ5, then at least fans could help to fix the AI. Source + solid comprehensive patch would've been a nice "farewell" present. :(

It was a great news with the small tears - now we can forget forever for the second expansion to BE. The same story like it was with the Alpha Centauri game.

On some level, I just hope that Civ6 is more moddable than Civ5 so we can make our own Civ6:BE! ;)

Shame, though, while I kind of understand why Civ:BE has been abandoned with XCOM2 and Civ6 firing on all cylinders... I expected at least another patch or two for Civ:BE to tweak the balance a bit more to leave it in a more playable state for people jumping in.

Plus: I'm rather sad that they haven't given us the DLL source like for Civ4 and Civ5, then at least fans could help to fix the AI. Source + solid comprehensive patch would've been a nice "farewell" present. :(

Supposedly, the new Civ6 engine is supposed to be even more moddable.

- - - - - - - -

Yes, a great shame! So much potential, so many places the later game could've gone with the Sci-Fi... now we go back to same ol' Gandhi, Napolean, iron and horses, spearmen, triremes, libraries, temples, pyramids etc. etc. all over again. *sigh* :( I'll definitely enjoy it again for the sixth time, but I would've enjoyed a 2nd expansion to BE much more -- along with the DLL so we could fix many things and make the game into what we want to play.

Yeah, the unreleased source and lack of any patches were a small part of the reasons why I'd assumed another expansion would be released this Oct -- plus there was no Complete Edition (well... we have "The Collection" lol). Some other reasons were that the late game wasn't really expanded upon in RT (usually the 2nd expansion does this with Firaxis). I knew Will, David, and Anton have been working on something, but it turns out Anton has been working on Civ6... perhaps Will and David may have been too, who knows?

My assumption that Civ6 was being rebuilt with a new engine was at least correct, and that (I assume) they're finally going to join everybody else in the 64 bit app world, because 32 bit and other things were really limiting the game -- huge maps were really performing badly and even bigger ones were unplayable. I figured, because of that, Civ6 would probably be delayed a little longer to allow BE to finish its last lap. But, I guess they just had to hit that 25th anniversary mark. :)

I also figured that a 2nd expansion would've have been totally worth it if there was ANY chance to redeem the whole game. These games are played and purchased well past the time that they're completed with their immense replay value and moddability. Vanilla Civ 5 was utter crap -- complete crap that it was the first Civ game I abandoned... but after expansions, especially BNW, it redeemed itself. Even now, it still has plenty of active players (always high on the list within Steam) and I'm sure it's still making sales. Beyond Earth could've did the same, especially with a released DLL so modders could help fix things and even add new content. Plus, Sci-Fi is pretty hot these days, it's usually good to ride the trend trains.

I also remember reading an article last December about Firaxis headquarters being expanded (as in, it was all finished in Dec and they were touring it, not sure when it started) so they can tackle more projects -- I figured Beyond Earth was in that mix. I could be wrong, but I believed the previous setup was that the studio was split in half for two different project teams with Sid's office sitting in the middle. Hopefully, there's still a team for Beyond Earth 2, alongside XCOM and Civ.

I want to still believe there's a chance for a 2nd BE expansion, but it's just looks too improbable with a behemoth like Civ6 starting its run this year (and crushing everything in its path) and getting its two expansion in the next two years. It's already a top seller on Steam; it probably was "the" top seller too after the announcement! If they were different types of games, sure, but the two are fairly similar 4X games, just different themes. With Civ6 vacuuming up all the money (and most importantly: play time!), it leaves little for a Beyond Earth expansion alongside it right now; it'll just get lost within Civ6's giant shadow.

Ugh... end of rant...

Firaxis, please release the DLL. :please:

I just can't believe Firaxis would abandon a game after just a year and a half. Surely they have something planned.

2010 = vanilla CiV
2011 = G&K
2012 = no expansion
2013 = BNW

Maybe they are trying to recover morale/costumer confidence with CiVI right now, then the willl finish CivBE with a delayed expansion, launched between CiVI and it's 1st expansion?

2014: CivBE
2015: RT
2016: no expansion, CiVI
early 2017: CivBE 2nd expansion
late 2017: CiVI 1st expansion

That would give them time to make something drastic about the endgame (rework at least two of the 3 affinity victories, which in truth are all scientific; there is nothing like CiV's World Leader Vote or Cultural Influence) and all the affinities mess (who goes exclusive anymore? hybrids are cool, but unfinished, and basically killed exclusives).

One can dream... :/

Poke at devs: I bet now they regret being so overconfident and making that 'Starships' game, the resources used there would be valuable for more actual CivBE...

GK was released in 2012. There was no expansion the year following the messy release of vanilla Civ 5.

There's perhaps a tiny possibility that a 2nd expansion for BE will release in longer than a single year, since there's a lot of things that need to be fixed and possibly redesigned in addition to any new content added. So it would be released before Civ 6's 1st expansion or near the same time... or maybe even sooner, after the release of Civ 6.

But, again, I really, really doubt that. Not only is Civ 6 huge, but its new engine and updated game mechanics would really make Beyond Earth look obsolete. It would be similar to a Beyond Earth that still used a square tile map and stacked units, while a Civ 6 game came out with "new" hexagonal tiles and 1UPT (before we realize that the system has its problems).

Not so huge considering the aestethics backlash. I, for one, would surely favor a 2nd CivBE expansion over CiVI, IF the announced content would be promising (did I spell that correctly? I rarely use this verbal conjugation in english, since my 1st language is portuguese).

I rather have a huge fix for a realistic sci-fi Civ title than what is being announced right for the regular Civ.

I rather have a huge fix for a realistic sci-fi Civ title than what is being announced right for the regular Civ.

While I understand your sentiment, can Civ:BE even be fixed? The wonky balance, the lack of mid game, the brazilian leader saying 'hue hue hue', I mean their is a lot to fix and the designers seem more focused on patting each other on the back than facing up to the the absolutely bizaare state of the game so their isn't even hope that "lessons were learned".

If I'm honest, if the designers were unchanged, I would expect Civ:BE expansion 2 to feature a quest line that takes 200 turns to finish and gives every city +1 production, in the name of 'depth' while simultanously also adding to the game a satellite that conqeurs every city on the map and takes 10 turns to build. The balance is all over the place and that got worse, not better with the first expansion!

I don't want Civ:BE to die in the state it is in now but now that Civ6 is announced, who is even going to care about a 2nd expansion to Civ:BE? It would need to either come out very very soon OR it would need to be absolutely amazing if it came out after Civ6, or Civ6 would need to be pants and I think we can all agree that it is not in the best interests of anyone for that to be the case!

I hope they leapfrog the franchises and we get a Beyond Earth 2 in the future.

I think that would be the best approach. They should take what they learned from BE and what they will learn from civ6 and have a new team (not will and dave) do a BE2 from scratch.

Firaxis aren't supporting Civ:BE in Win 10 so I take that as it is all wrapped up.

Works just fine is Win 10 so is there a difference in not supporting in Windows 10 than working well?
I find Windows 10 to be excellent in playing any game. Even MOO1 and 2, AOEI play perfectly and they are all DOS/old games from the 1990's. ( Maybe AOEI isn't a DOS game)

Top Bottom