Secondary Effects from Other Luxuries

Does anyone else think it unfair that no other luxury resources give any kind of effect besides Marble? It's weird that that one resource is so much more useful than the others simply because it happens to also get a Wonder bonus, and I kind of feel like other luxuries should do similar things. So what should other luxuries do? Some ideas would be maybe Gold giving production bonuses to trade units, while Silver gives bonuses to trade-related buildings, and Citrus maybe goes towards food buildings, and so on...

That could be fun, and may make where you found a city more interesting.

I'd like bonus resources to get something if it happened though, or they would be even more irrelevant.

It might be fun to tie all resources to a special bonus or building.

I'll take a crack at it.

Edit

Here is a list. I decided to gear them to the trade routes sytem.

Aside Marble's wonder production bonus, they stack with however many of the resources are in the city's territory.

This kind of thing might require taking strength from the base trade route system, and I'm worried I set some numbers too high.

Resource Bonus List:

Food Bonus Resources: +1 :c5food: on outgoing :c5food: trade routes.

(Cattle, Sheep, Wheat, Deer, Fish, Bananas)

Strategic Resources: +1 :c5production: on outgoing :c5production: trade routes.

Marble and Stone: +2 :c5production: on outgoing :c5production: trade routes.

(Marble retains the +15% :c5production: boost to Wonders.)

Wine and Incense: +2 :c5culture: and +2 :c5faith: on internal trade routes and +2 :c5gold: and +2 tourism on international trade routes. Receiving civ gets +1 :c5gold: on the trade route.

Culinary Luxury Resources: +1 :c5food: and +2 :c5culture: on outgoing :c5food: trade routes and +2 :c5gold: and +2 tourism on international trade routes. Receiving civ gets +1 :c5gold: on the trade route.

(Citrus, Crab, Salt, Spices, Truffles, Whales, Sugar)

Jewelry: +2 :c5gold: and +2 :c5culture: on internal trade routes and +4 :c5gold: on international trade routes. Receiving civ gets +2 :c5gold: on the trade route. Mint now enhances Copper as well.

(Gold, Silver, Copper, Gems, and Pearls)

Clothing Luxury Resources: +1 :c5production: and +2 :c5culture: on :c5production: trade routes and +2 :c5gold: and +2 tourism on international trade routes. Receiving civ gets +1 :c5gold: on the trade route.

(Furs, Cotton, Dyes, Silk)

Your mod is interesting, but I think a trade route city specific approach makes more interesting gameplay than an Empire wide system where you simply (non-trade route) trade for the luxuries.

Local bonuses seem easier to balance than Empire wide ones.

I'm worried that requiring resources for Wonders would make a short list of resources needed for most wonders.

Top Bottom