1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Secret Society Speculations

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by JaeChunDaeSung, May 15, 2020.

1. JaeChunDaeSung

JaeChunDaeSung Prince

I definitely got intrigued with the idea of secret societies when this was announced as a scenario. What do you think it will entail?

When I think secret society, the Carbonari and Young Italy come to mind, as they were the hotbeds of activity for Italian nationalists during the Second Italian War for Independence. The fact Louis "I am now an emperor just like my uncle" Napoleon III was a member could mean that leaders take a direct or indirect hand in influencing these organizations to upend or topple rule, especially if the cities are under occupation.

2. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

When I hear Secret Society, I think of groups like the Freemasons, Knights Templar, Illuminati, etc...

I wonder where that speculation could take us?

tedhebert likes this.
  3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

My theory is that it works on the same basis as religions. You found a secret society, select its bonus(es), then use some kind of unit to spread it around the map. You could have beneficial bonuses in your own cities and maluses in rival cities.
    Examples:
    Free Masons: enhance alliances when spread to allies
    Illuminati: trade bonuses when present in both cities
    Assassins/Ninja: increased chance of success in espionage
    Maquis: reduced loyalty in cities occupied by rivals
    Knights Templar: increases benefits from follower beliefs

5. Haig

Haig Deity

I too think something like what Eagle Pursuit wrote.

And as Pack#1 adds some new disasters to the base game, I think the DLC adds a couple new spy missions for base game, and the new societies system when you play with the Game Mode.

I just try to figure out how Ethiopia could fit in, there must be some connection. Are rastafaris a secret society? :lol:

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think it might have something to do with their claim to allegedly hold the Ark of the Covenant in a heavily guarded church.

Kmart_Elvis and Zaarin like this.
  7. King Rad

King Rad Warlord

I agree with Eagle, also. I think when folks started speculating that this was going to primarily relate to the spy system, then really missed what secret societies, whether actual or fictional like some of the movies, are all about. They are generally either about influencing someone [group/nation/etc,] to follow their belief system, whether political, religious, whatever or about controlling something for the benefit of the members [e.g. influencing governments so their particular business makes more money, is more competitive, etc.]. There's a lot they can do with this that would add an interesting impact to the game.

8. JaeChunDaeSung

JaeChunDaeSung Prince

By that extension, I would almost even wager that Italy may become a civ in tandem with the release of secret societies, or that the 1848 revolutions or Italian Wars will be the backdrop for the scenario mode. I'm really keen on Eagle Pursuit's ideas too, because having a variety of historic organizations to choose and influence much like religion can serve as an alternative to spreading religion, or help bolster the espionage and loyalty mechanics.

9. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

I don't think they would add another thing that you spread using units. If it's something we need to spread, I expect them to create something more unique. Maybe it will be just passive spread, with certain actions that can give a pressure burst, similar to the one you get when you successfully defend against a religious emergency. If you do whatever a secret society do, you get a pressure burst.

10. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

It's not a scenario though, it's a game mode. And the Civ to be released with Secret Societies is already confirmed to be Ethiopia.

11. Equilin

Equilin Prince

It comes with Ethiopia, so I expect it to be strongly related to religion.

12. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I have the impression that 'secret societies' may have to do with religious reformers.

13. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I call dibs on the Hussites. :D More seriously, a religious reformation game mode, whether as part of Secret Societies or not, would be a great addition to the game.

Xandinho, blackcatatonic and King Rad like this.
  14. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

How about the new district? Do you guys think it will be on theme with the secret societies, like a police/intelligence community district, to increase city loyalty/spy effectiveness?

Although the bundled civ is Ethiopia, this pack is also going to coincide with the Teddy and Catherine bonus personality packs - maybe they have some relation to the game mode?

15. Casworon

Casworon Prince

I am 80-90% sure it's gone to be a one-copy per empire espionage district.

But that might be because I've typed it so many times I've convinced myself that's the case

16. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I don't have much faith in it being a big in-depth thing. If anything, the "gameplay mod" for the first pack is quite lackluster in terms of implementation. A few more disasters, which use already in game mechanics, and a unit that can call them. I see people expecting full systems like corporations, diseases or ideologies for the upcoming packs, but I highly doubt they'll do something so indepth.

So most probably this pack is some kind of re-skin extension of the religion or espionage system.

17. criZp

criZp Emperor

I am 99% certain it is not a one district per civ. Why would it be? With the government district you get a choice between three options, at multiple points in the game. It also adds a bunch of loyalty and decent trade yields, although these are minor functions. With this "spy district", if it was one per civ, you get one choice between two options, and that's it. Done. Nothing more to it. I really don't see how this could possibly be an interesting district. Plus the gov district already has an espionage buff building.

18. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

"Game modes can include additional content such as new units, buildings, or improvements and can be turned on or off during game setup to apply significant and dramatic changes to the rules of the game."

The game doesn't need new mechanics. The existing ones allow a lot of space for creativity. Ideologies and pandemics can work with existing mechanics. The fact that the game modes require R&F or GS is a good sign as well imo.

Forest Fires, for instance, are no small thing. My hope is that along with it they improve on the old-grown woods VS newly-grown woods which is a good idea already in the game but with space for improvement (e.g. better yields to national parks with old-grown woods). Climate change will in an likelihood increase the frequency of forest fires.

I'm curious to see what impact Solar Flares will have. After reading this article, the most obvious one is disruption to Power for a few turns. But what about prior to the Industrial Era?

19. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

I mean, we don't know yet do we? We've only seen additional disasters & Soothsayers but we don't know if that is the extent of the Apocalypse Mode or if there is much more to it.

20. Sirimiri

Sirimiri Chieftain

There are interesting secret societies that have come out of Africa such as the Igbo/Efik Ékpè and its descendant Abakuá in Cuba. Catholic cofraternidades were also important in Latin America among black and white folks. I don't know much outside of West Africa and the diaspora, but there are lots of interesting ways the system could go.