[NFP] securing loyalty & forward settle but weak city

qhash

Chieftain
I wonder how you guys approach that problem. I have the situation as follows - I can forward settle Canad to gain space, but the city will have one/two mines MAX (+ possible coal/alu/niter in the future of course) so it wont be much productive. It will secure my border, provide loyalty for the next coastal city to the N and Berlin. In the long run I guess thats wise to settle there.Short term I am losing a lot of production not settling coast/wonder to the E.
What would guys do?
And additionaly - what would be the strategy. Next steps, milestones, to get the SV?

Attachments

• FRE_whereto.jpg
    FRE_whereto.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 42
Well, if a City fits it's okay. Better than not a City, especially when you have no room. But you are playing germany here, you don't even need hills.

Like @pkaem said, since you're Germany this is kind of a no-brainer - you can easily get a +4 Hanza (if not more) just by slotting it next to two resources and a commercial hub. So low production is really a relative term - it won't be a monster production city like you're setting up with your industrial center, but will hold its own.

To the broader question, not every city needs to have the same purpose - I've definitely had games where a low-production city is worthwhile to block other civs, provide loyalty, set up ocean access, act as a canal, block a mountain path, etc. Not to mention later in the game where I'll found cities just to get additional resources (especially oil/aluminum).

Top Bottom