1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Seed extraction issues (Wasn't sure where to put this)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Jacob123456, May 6, 2019.

1. Jacob123456

Jacob123456 Chieftain

This forum seems pretty dead (unfortunantly). No sexual puns intended in the title. lets get into the problem

i would like to get the seed number from a game i played a few weeks ago. ive scoured the internet trying to find the right measures with little luck. CivAssist2 seems to be more or less the only method, but after some 3 hours of tinkering i cannot get CA2 to either load my .sav files or run properly whilst im in a C3C game. (I can run the program, but not much more than that). So i guess either if anyone of you have any tips or tricks, or can just attempt to run the file on your machine and see if it works for you and just post the seed number, thanks

tldr; i cant get the seed number from this file, would appreciate some help thanks

Attached Files:

2. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

According to CAII (which works fine on my machine: Win8.1 box, bought in 2015, fully updated), the seed for that map is 844161664. (I right-clicked on the CAII "World Map" main window, and selected "Properties" from the pop-up menu).

The most recent map-seed used for a procedurally generated map is also recorded in the conquests.ini file, which you can view by opening it in any text-editor.

(This only works provided that you haven't started another game on a different game-generated map, more recently than the one whose seed you want to retrieve; conversely, playing a Scenario with a pre-made map won't re-write/over-write the last "WorldSeed=" entry).

Note that you will only get exactly the same map, if all settings are the same in your previous game -- not just the seed, but also the geography, climate, age, etc. Also, if you run the same seed, even if you take care to select all the same tribes as in your previous game, those Civs may/will be given different starting-positions in the new game.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  3. Jacob123456

Jacob123456 Chieftain

Thank you! Nice to see there's still a helpful community 18 years after release.

4. Speedbird 95

Speedbird 95 Chieftain

Are your C3C and CA2 installed in C:\Program Files(x86) ?
    If so, try reinstalling both in another location, e.g. C:\users\your username\civ (and move your saved games to the new saves folder)

The first time you run CA2 you will have to play a turn and manually load the autosave into CA2.