Seeking a Mentor for Modding

sawi_13

Chieftain
Hi,
I always like to mod my games, and for this I'm always self taught. The problem is, this way I'm always "late" getting to the point where I can mod effectively (I just recently figured out how to mod Civ IV :rolleyes: ).
The way I used to learn it was by comparing the XML of mods that were made with the original. But starting with CivV and BE the problem I have is, I don't know how to get to the original files. So I guess this time I can't do it on my own, but will need someone (or several someones each just giving me a hint or two) to guide me through it.

Basically here are my first two questions;
1. Is there any database where I can view the original XML and Lua of BE (and CivV while we are at it)? I know these are set up so you cannot directly change them, but as I said, to learn how to change them I need to know what is there to begin with.
2. Is there a way to extract unit graphics from BE and add them to Mods of CivV?

What I hope to do (first) (feel free to give me some hints on what needs to be done for it):
1. A MOD to overhaul the spies in BE: specifically:
a) Change Website Hubs from lowering intrigue level in general to it giving only a one time bonus of lowering the level (but it can rise to full level again), but instead give a bonus to the civ's own spies in detecting/killing foreign spies in this city.
2. Probably as a separate MOD because not everyone will like it: A MOD that allows stealing blueprints of great wonders (and this way allowing you to duplicate already completed wonders)
a) Add a fifth level spy mission "steal blueprints"
b) Add a new national project "protect secrets" that makes the above mission harder (but not impossible)
c) Add a way to duplicate already completed wonders after specific blueprints were successfully stolen. Possibly with a 25-50% penalty to building time, because you do not have access to the original engineers involved in the project.
3. Often times my wife and I play Hotseat games. I need a way to add Mods to Hotseat games.
a) kind of like the advanced set up option in CivV: It is of course possible someone is already working on this and all I need to do is wait.

For CivV:
1) There is a Mod that extends the game into the future (I'll have to check who made it, sorry for that), but the new units just recycle already existing unit graphics from CivV.
a) If at all possible I hope to extract BE unit graphics and add them to this mod in CivV (once again, if this is not being done as we speak anyway).

Thanks for any aid/hints you may be able to give,
sawi_13

All the XML data for CBE is in the games directory. If you have it on steam it will be something like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\Gameplay\XML

the same is true for Civ V.

There are people working on making BE art assets available in Civ V though I don't know much about the progress.

Oh so that's where these files are.
Thanx Ribcage, I don't think I would ever have found them on my own.
Well now at least I can start looking at how it's all done.

I'm online most evenings as Cannon Fodder on Steam, add me there and I can show you how to download and operate ModBuddy, the tool Firaxis so generously gave us in order to develop and publish mods.

Thanks for the offer. My handle on Steam is switt1313, I have to run right now, but I'll be sending the friend request later on Steam later today.

Top Bottom