seeking opinions: buy now or wait?

Definitely wait. The game feels very much like early access. It's the first civ game that I've stopped playing after one week. So sad really. I hope they can patch it into something good eventually. But as it is, this game has nothing on Civ V

Reactions: JtW
I joined Civ 5 during Brave New World - I spent over 700 hours on the game and would spend even more easily.

The original Civ5 didnt even have religion or espionage. So the it was a lot of advancement.

This game needs a lot, but I love the new systems. I say do what makes you happy. Personally I just like playing the games. But I do feel a bit frustrated since theres no stone works and/or stable buffs to improvements. No amenities from discovering world wonders. Lots of random frustration.

Playing on Deity has never been about being a great player. It's always been mostly about abusing shortcuts and exploits that the AI can't or won't take advantage of (e.g. stealing workers from city-states, or going hog-wild with giving gifts, or creating walls of archers and then drawing the AI into a meat grinder). The high difficulty makes it better at using its limited and predictable options. If the AI was really good, people would simply lose on Deity nineteen times out of twenty, as well they should. And then you can bet that some of those players would come here to complain about all the OP and broken and unfair AI stuff that needs to be patched.

Here is what I would do...
A) Watch some you tube videos, there should be loads of them by now so that should help with you judgement.
and

B) Black Friday / Cyber Monday is right around the corner and with it, is probably a steam sale, so I would wait for then.

(PS: if you want to save a few extra dollars [This assumes you have a preexisting member ship to a store called "Sam's Club"] you can buy $20 and $50 steam gift cards for a few dollars cheaper than they actually give you from the Sam's Club. Free shipping with about 10 days for where I live, not sure how long it would be for you but you could save a bit with that.)

I read on Kotaku that it's better then CIV V with the Brave New World Expansion Pack.

Well... I would not call it a 'mess' 6 is probably the best vanilla civ release and to be clear I personally like it more than V with all expansions. If the expansions go as planned this version of the game will probably be the best one in the entire series.

V was fun but unless you're playing MP we all know how to exploit it. That's what makes it boring for me now, same tree - fill science buckets - win. Boring.

Wait. Definitely wait. This game does have potential but it was not a finished product on its release. Needs a few patches - also when you do decide to purchase watch out for the mods that have been created to alleviate a lot of issues this game is facing.

Given last night's patch, now seems like an appropriate time to bump this thread. I know you guys will need some time to play with these new changes before you can make accurate assessments, but I'd be interested to see if the patch changes your opinion on the subject.

I find myself torn at the moment, so I thought I'd turn to you guys for advice regarding this game. The Civ fan in my wants to rush out and get it. It's new, so there's that appeal. The graphics look nice. The new systems look intriguing. All of this has me wanting to pick it up today.

On the other hand, I convinced myself to take a "wait and see" approach and I'm not liking a lot of what I'm seeing. Game balance looks out of whack, the Diplomatic system looks like it was an afterthought, and the AI appears to be downright embarrassing. Overall, the game looks like it was rushed out the door in an unpolished state, which is something I don't forgive other developers/publishers for, so I don't see why I should be anymore lenient on Firaxis for doing the same.

All that said, I still find myself on the fence. And that's where you guys come in. Would you guys recommend the game in it's current state? Or should I wait and see if Firaxis gets their crap together and fixes the game's more glaring issues?

I have been enjoying this game greatly, even with some of the noticeable flaws that you mentioned so my opinion would be to go for it.

In addition, this new patch they just released seems to address almost all of the current issues so I would also suggest keeping a close watch this week to see how big an impact these improvements are going to have. My first experience of part of a game post-patch already showed a lot of signs of improvement in diplomacy and AI army management.

My opinion has not changed. (Wait till Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday and hope steam has a sale.)

Now or wait for christmas (I'd guess at least a dlc and a smaller patch (maybe even SDK) ) or wait for a sale...
Personally I'm fine owning the game from day 1 despite the flaws... And it only just got better... ;)

Considering how much fun I've been having with it, I'd say go for it. But YMMV. I haven't tried it since the patch though so will have to see how that improves things.

I've invested about 90 hours in it and am having lots of fun. I'm a very casual player who plays on Prince though. I would say get it, because it's enjoyable. But if you like harder challenges, and want better than what's currently offered in the game, then wait.

If you more enjoy the empire management/wonder building/city layout aspects and don't mind a lot of micromanagement, I'd say it's worth buying now.

If you mainly play on higher levels and want a challenge, and/or mainly like the military/tactical aspects - wait (unless you mainly want to do multiplayer).

If you mainly play with a lot of MODs, I'd say wait (as it'll be a while before there's a number for civ 6).

OP. Civ 6 aint perfect; weird UI design, strange UI omissions, "could do better" AI. However, I'm loving it. 185 hours playtime and I've learnt a lot. Oh, and only 1 crash, not bad eh!

Well after the fall patch, I'd say get it. I played Immortal in Civ 5 and I play Immortal in Civ 6. And right now, ze Germans and the Aztec are already fielding Artillery while I'm stuck with Bombardiers. So yeah, I cannot follow the "the game is so easy, it's unplayable" attitude in this forum. I never use exploits or cheats, so that's maybe why it's too easy for many of you. I don't produce - sell my double horses, I do not abuse trade agreements and I do not go for Kongo-supereasy-early-relic win. If you do that - fine. But stop complaining then. It's like using a infinite life cheat in Super Mario and complain that the game is no challenge.

And yes, for the Civ 4 - 5 Deity diehards the game might be too easy. But I highly doubt that the average player is playing on Deity. I could beat Deity in 5 but it was mostly by exploiting certain bugs, not playing a fun game.

Now that I have played civ6, I doubt I will play civ5 ever again.
Civ5 wasn't fun until the expansion. I actually went back to civ4 for a long time until civ5 became a good game.
Civ6 is already fun.

Top Bottom