Seems the INI Timing does do something

tom2050

Deity
When testing the Fed Starbase unit, the death sound wasn't playing right, although I previously timed the sound before testing. But it sounded like it was either playing at an extremely fast speed, or only playing halfway through (couldn't really tell).

With nothing but the INI to look in, I noticed that the timing of the death was set to 1.0, and others were set to 0.5.

I changed only that, and restarted the game, and the sound played normally. Now I don't believe I've noticed this with other units or sounds before. And it's been mentioned that timing does nothing; but in this case it seemed to have a result for some reason.

The sound was around 4 seconds long, and the animation was lengthy, so perhaps timing works on units only with longer animations or animations set to play at a slower speed (this was set to 135ms IIRC) ?

Just some mostly un-needed and worthless info to spread around amongst everyone that INI Timings do indeed do something sometimes. :lol:

Did you set the death to 0.5 seconds as well? I have several units that have trouble with amb files (some of Sandris units, for example).

Yes, setting Death timing to 0.500000 fixed the issue. I was able to recreate the sound issue by setting it back to 1.000000.

At 1, the sound stopped halfway through the animation, and sounded like it was playing really fast (double the speed would have caused this). So I'm only guessing timing means the speed a sound plays; although in most circumstances, this shouldn't be needed.

I've seen a similar issue with ambient sound effects where the ambient sound plays at double speed. I wonder if there is an ini file somewhere that controls the speed on ambients? Playing with the sound speed in a sound editor does not resolved the issue.

Back on topic; I will experiment with the converse of what tom is reporting. I have a few cases where the anim is short and the sound is long. If I decrease the sound timing I wonder if I can better match up the long sound with the short anim? I don't want to cut the sound file itself to shorten it time duration because that would take away from the experience.

Top Bottom