Sekai: Land of the Fading Sun (Pre-FantasyNES)

Claims updated. Sorry I still haven't completed my profile. I will do it as soon as possible.

Claims updated. Sorry I still haven't completed my profile. I will do it as soon as possible.

Great - I just added you on my computer's map, but haven't uploaded it yet. Don't worry about your profile too much. We have some time. I don't want to start this thing until I'm comfortable with enough players, and until the winter break is over. I know people will be going home to their families - I myself am going to be in the countryside without steady Internet for a good 2 weeks around Christmastime. And I certainly would rather you spend creative time on your profile than just rush through it for the sake of things. :)

But I'm really excited about running this and getting everyone together and into this kind of mythology, because I think it isn't something people think about very often in the fantasy genre. So I'm hoping we can find a couple more players who are interested in playing realms (kingdom/clan).

Here is us so far:

Spoiler Recent Map :

Don't have hex locations for Vertinari's castles yet (1 big one, 2 small ones).

7 pages in, doesn't seem like you are struggling for interested parties anyway ;)

7 pages in, doesn't seem like you are struggling for interested parties anyway ;)

The more the merrier! Especially kingdom-wise. ;) Though now it is shaping up a little bit more since all the claims are in.

Could especially use another "Chaos" race kingdom. By the way, everyone, please know that Order and Chaos races can definitely go to war and hate one another, and a race from Order and a race from Chaos could theoretically be allies - as long as you play into it with a story of some kind. I'm open to any intrigue that might be available.

Is it all right with everyone to have "Turn 0" Preliminary Orders due sometime this weekend? These orders do not include movements at all, but are rather to give you all a chance to use your per-turn gold income / spending points for a whole turn, thus beginning the NES with certain skills, improvements, and troops to continue forward. So once again, no movements in the preliminary turn.

How does that sound to everyone?

I like our current set-up. Western Sekai is filled nicely, with the east free. That will make for a good story element. I think I'll put some magical barrier around the east and there will be something happening there. As well as some larger NPC kingdoms going about their own business, ignoring the competition for shogunate.

As for Yomi, that dimension will not be open to any one yet. It is for the future.

Is it all right with everyone to have "Turn 0" Preliminary Orders due sometime this weekend? These orders do not include movements at all, but are rather to give you all a chance to use your per-turn gold income / spending points for a whole turn, thus beginning the NES with certain skills, improvements, and troops to continue forward. So once again, no movements in the preliminary turn.

How does that sound to everyone?

I like our current set-up. Western Sekai is filled nicely, with the east free. That will make for a good story element. I think I'll put some magical barrier around the east and there will be something happening there. As well as some larger NPC kingdoms going about their own business, ignoring the competition for shogunate.

As for Yomi, that dimension will not be open to any one yet. It is for the future.

If I'd get map, sure.

Okay well start me by a Kirin Statue in a forest (the one near the middle of the map). Beyond that I kind of need a labeled map of kingdoms. Thanks.

Sekolah Kingdom

Sekolah (immaculate)

Race: Samebito
Daimyo: Wanizame Yuurei
Advantage: +1 attack in plains with Heikegani cavalry (they are accomplished raiders of nearby settlments)
Description:
Golden Shining Kelp forests stretching for miles and miles, shore to shore, depths to surface, Enchanted Reefs of Jade Coral, Trident-wielding soldiers wearing armor grown from the blessings of the sea, a Daimyo who speaks with the great dragon of the sea, a creature so long its body stretches from moon to sun. The Sekolah is an ancient and proud kingdom deep below the sea. Its Daimyo, Wanizame Yuurei is said to be immortal and, because the Samebito never truly stop growing, has grown to gigantic proportions never seen before amongst his race, towering several times over his 13’ tall vassals.
But for all their history and ancient honor, or perhaps because of it, the Samebito are a proud people, prone to hubris and easily insulted. They duel incessantly amongst themselves, often for slights upon their family name or traditions so minor an outsider would not recognize the insult. Their pride and sense of honor also instills in them a sense of decorum and rigidly structured social behavior, so rigid in fact that even the most highly disciplined Samebito citizen finds it difficult to maintain social expectations and so… this often leads to vicious displays of frustrated tempers.

History:
The Samebito have always made their homes amongst the deep reefs and crevices of the seas (with their capital Go-Ruden Konbu at the heart of the golden kelp forest. They say that their Daimyo long ago struck a deal with the great serpent of the sea and as a result the race have been blessed with the golden kelp forests from which they have made their home and which they use to raise their livestock, a variety of fish and eels.
Originally the Samebito were happy to lives their lives in the depths of the seas but as time passed, they grew curious of their surroundings, or, as some say, they were ordered to explore the coasts by the serpent that speaks to Wanizame Yuurei. And so they did, exploring the coasts and coming into contact with the races of the surface realms. They quickly realized that they would need to defend themselves against these creatures and built Castle Rakki-Furyoku, named after the wealth generated from trading with the surface dwellers.
Some time went on and the Samebito were gifted with knowledge of the jade coral to the south of them and so they expanded their fiefdoms southwards and founded Shinbou castle to guard the river access to the southern seas and their jade coral gardens.
Today the Samebito look inward for inspiration and outwards only with great trepidation.

Castles:
go-ruden konbu castle (big one on map in the deep sea) (completely submerged)
Shinbou castle (the one in the south guarding the river) (90% submerged)
Rakki-Furyoku castle (the one to the north-east) (90% submerged)

Income: 5200
Growth Rate: ???
Coffers: 800
Spells/Skills:
Technology: Construction, Iron-working, Trading, Transportation
Improvements: 8 hexes of roads
Military: Go-Ruden Konbu garrison (30 infantry) (garrisoned at capital castle)
Rakki-Furyoku garrison (100 infantry) garrisoned at Rakki-Furyoku castle
Shinbou garrison (120 infantry) (garrisoned at Shinbou castle)
Yari- Rihatsu company (100 Heikegani cavalry) (garrisoned at Shinbou castle)
Special:
The Sekolah do not forge their weapons and armor from metals but grow them from enchanted reefs, sculpting the coral as it grows to make breastplates, spears, and swords of great strength. These tools are said to be forged of ‘Jade Coral’ and the exact means of their growth and manufacture is an ancient and closely guarded secret of the kingdom.

Starting spending (from 5200g):
Skills: construction (800g), iron-working (jade coral sculpting) (800g), trading (400g), transportation (400g)
Infrastructure: 8 hexes of level 1 roads (I don’t know what they would be underwater- I guess well-travelled paths and cleared areas with safe-houses for staying overnight, etc)- the roads are indicated on the map as blue lines. (800g)
100 cavalry (700g)
250 infantry (500g)

Turn 0 spending:
Hawk Clan/Kyzarc Fotjage
Race: Kitsune
Daimyo: Lord Katsuro
Hexes: 1
Advantage: +1 archer defense in forests
Income: 600
Growth Rate: 5%?
Coffers: 600
Spells/Skills: none
Technology: none
Improvements: none
Military: none
Special: none
Spread Realm: nope
Movements: no
Education: none
Research: Trading (200g)
Construction: none
Recruitment: 50 archers, 50 infantry (200g)
Reinvestment: 200g

5200? Wow, I have less gold then I thought.

remember sh1t costs less if you are a clan then a kingdom. look at the cost of improvements and stuff.

Not to mention Clans are basically small city-states with single castles. It makes sense for you to have about 100 men at your service. You'll grow, you'll grow.

And yes, everyone begins with a 5% growth rate, even on Turn 0. :)

I am working on the map as we speak. Give me 10-15. Everything is looking good so far orders-wise, by the way.

Chizu or... MAP for Turn 0

Turn 0 Situation (Note: Not all NPCs have been put on the map yet.)
Spoiler :

*1. Mount Myoko: Not currently erupting.
*2. Mount Aso: Not currently erupting.
*3. Miyamoto Musashi: Master swordsman (dual katana technique).
*4. Oda Nobunaga: Master military tactician.
1. Chi Castle (Chishiosangaku/Ninja Dude) - Akki
2. Idai Castle (Chishiosangaku/Ninja Dude) - Akki
3. Honekorosu Castle (Honekorosu/NPC) - Oni
4. Shiro-Shin Kaminari (Raijin Teikoku/Omega124) - Tengu
5. Small Castle????? (Raijin Teikoku/Omega124) - Tengu
6. Sachiko Castle (Hawk Clan/Kyzarc Fotjage) - Kitsune
7. Hidoihorsehockya Castle (Hidoihorsehockya/NPC) - Yato
8. Go-Ruden Konbu Castle (Sekolah/Immaculate) - Samebito
9. Rakki-Furyoko Castle (Sekolah/Immaculate) - Samebito
10. Shinbou Castle (Sekolah/Immaculate) - Samebito
11. Kamuda Castle (Kamuda Clan/NPC) - Samebito
12. Zanji Castle (Zanji Clan/NPC) - Samebito
13. Kogake Castle (Kogake/NPC) - Tengu
14. Kakurega Castle (Garou, or the Wolf Clan/Northen Wolf) - Tengu
15. Yahagi Castle (Ohitsuji/Shadowbound) - Nezumi
16. Inawashiro Castle (Ohitsuji/Shadowbound) - Nezumi
17. Tsumeyubi Castle (Tsumeyubi/NPC) - Oni
18. Akaha Castle (Akaha/NPC) - Oni

Natural Regions
Spoiler :

Lakes and Seas[/COLOR]
Seto Sea
Lake Biwa
Lake Saroma
Lake Akan
Lake Suwa
Lake Kasumigaura
Lake Shinji
Lake Inawashiro
Lake Kuttara
Lake Towada
Lake Ogawara
Lake Kussharo
Lake Ikeda
Lake Toya
Lake Hamana
Lake Shikotsu
Lake Nakaumi
Lake Hachiro
Lake Chuzenji
Lake Mashu
Lake Tazawa

Rivers
Tokoro-gawa
Omono-gawa
Saru-gawa
Rumoi-gawa
Kakehashi-gawa
Kamo-gawa
Agano-gawa
Chikugo-gawa
Miya-gawa
Tenryu-gawa
Abe-gawa
Suzuku-gawa
Yahagi-gawa
Ibi-gawa
Sho-gawa
Kita-gawa
Ata-gawa
Nagara-gawa

Forests
Shimogama Forest
Tadasu no Mori Forest
Keta Woods
Dewa Forest
Yahiko Forest
Kasugarin Forest
Woods of Seifa Utaki
Tenkawa Forest
Kashima Forest
Atsuta Forest
Grand Forest of Aokigahara

Mountain Ranges
Hidaka Mountains
Kii Mountains[/font]

I know I need to sort my profile, claims, orders out. School going mad for the end of term.I will get this done ASAP, hopefully tomorrow.

Sounds good, everyone. Due date is Sunday, I suppose. Keep in mind I have a huge research paper due at the beginning of next week (and then I'm all done... whew), so that's why I'd like to get the NES preliminary turns processed by the weekend (aim to have that paper done by Sunday night ;)). So what I'm saying is, if you can't get it in by Monday, that's fine too. It's just that, I know for a fact that from December 16 to January 5 I am going to be with family, and a lot of my family lives in the middle of nowhere at a place where their Internet is still old-school enough to be negatively effected by cloud coverage, or something.

(By the way: PM or posting here... both okay.)

So for that long period of time, I will give you all planning time. I will be posting Turn 0 results, and then the situation for Turn 1 Each turn is a season (I posted that in the rules, a couple days ago). Then we will have Turn 1 going. I am going to give several situations that are happening, and you can spend the time I am away plotting with people or actually posting stories or backgrounds to your hearts' content.

I am looking for any suggestions/opinions on how movements should be done. Per-turn movements seems a little slow. I think perhaps each Turn will have a different amount of movements allocated. Such as, one per real-life week? I think one per day is too fast-paced, and some people will take advantage of it while others might be left behind. So even if I am late in updating this NES, you will still have that freedom to continue moving as-per the real-life calendar, and continuing stories, within that season. So some seasons will have a lot going on, and others will not (if the turn goes by quickly). Make sense?

Each hex is about 50km... too little? I know I myself have hiked over 30km in one day a few times, and I'm not in the best shape. So I'm guessing legendary characters and armies could do well over that.

List of players:
bold indicates Turn 0 orders given
(remember no movements for this turn)

Kyzarc Fotjage (Kitsune clan)
Omega124 (Tengu kingdom)
Ninja Dude (Akki kingdom)
merciary (Nezumi ninja)
The Strategos (Samebito hunter)
Frozen In Ice (unknown)
Immaculate (Samebito kingdom)
Seon (Human necromancer)
Adrogans (Kitsune character)
Northen Wolf (Tengu clan)
Shadowbound (Nezumi kingdom)
Vertinari181 (Human kingdom)

Am I forgetting anyone?

Also, here is something interesting and maybe useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures_from_Japan

or

http://www.obakemono.com/

Remember that I embellished and changed a lot about our mythology in this NES.

Murakami Motoyoshi/The Strategos
Race: Samebito
Class: Water-Hunter
Current Location: I4
Attack: 3
Defense: 1
Movement: 3
Hit Points: 3/3
Five Elements: Earth 0/Water 1/Fire 0/Wind 0/Void 0
Equipment: Nunte Bo, no armor
Inventory: None
Gold: None
Spells/Skills: Cartography (+3 Defense in Water)
Movements:
Education:

Blood rains down on me
Falling as cherry blossoms
Filling a Koi’s Pond.

My captain once told me, “Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.” A convenient lie Samurai told themselves to ensure they didn’t piss themselves and run away at the first sight of blood. I knew it for a lie as I was still alive while my captain, who never managed to shake his absurd devotion to the Way, suffered under the unpleasant situation of having his head separated from his body. Though at least his spirit should be at rest, having withstood six Samurai before being overwhelmed by their numbers. At least I assume that was what happened. Truth be told once I saw our small wako party surrounded I slipped away, trusting in the speed of my flight more than the speed of my attacks.

You may fault me, calling me a coward. I will not dispute it. I lost my desire to experience Death’s lover’s embrace after seeing my feudal lord’s intestines lurch out like some baby eager to shed its shell. My captain, who had served the same lord never saw that sight, perhaps that is why he is dead and I am not. Perhaps that is why I am the one fleeing from my honor and my death. Or perhaps they are just frail excuses with which I attempt to hide my cowardliness, an effort as futile as trying to hide one’s nakedness with the wind.

To Murakami Motoyoshi:
From the offices of Wanizame Yuurei, Kingdom of Sekolah:

Will you allow us to sponsor you for the betterment of the Sekolah kingdom?

Top Bottom