1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"selling" techs?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by groovepapa, Dec 29, 2002.

1. groovepapa

groovepapa Chieftain

The AI never seems to buy techs for GPT (gold per turn) anymore. I've tried to sell Construction and Currency and Monarchy (all 3) for 1 gold per turn to another Civ and they won't do it.

Why is this?

Thanks.

2. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

AIs won't pay gold per turn until they get into Monarchy or Republic. And you won't get the really good gpt deals until they are in Democracy.

3. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

They have to have the money to spend it.

If this is an instance of a single Civ turning down your "3 techs for 1 gpt" deal then I would bet that they are running a per-turn deficit - under which circumstances they will NEVER agree to a per-turn gold deal. (You'll get the "they would never agree to such a deal" advice from your advisor)

If this is a more general issue then I have to say I've not noticed. Will they still make gpt deals for anything else?

4. groovepapa

groovepapa Chieftain

Ah, both of you make good points. I was trying to trade way early in the game, so I bet none of them were in anything but despotism.

And I guess they might also have been unable to afford even 1 gpt.

Thanks for clearing it up..my game is now in the AD's, so I'll try to sell techs for gold now...

5. WildFire

WildFire amour

The AI also doesnt trade gpt for techs or luxuries as much when on an easier level as well. If your on like chieftan or warlord, chances are they aren't going to give you as much as they would on regent or above.

6. Fool Inc.

Fool Inc. Back from the Dead

Thats wierd. I would have thought that it would be the other way around.

7. WildFire

WildFire amour

See, when they are on easy levels, they cant make any money and their economy sucks so then they can't give you anything, except for maps and the excuse to go to war. Thats why i play on monarch, a lot funner than chieftan!

BTW, i think your signature is too big.

8. Japes

Japes Chieftain

Do you guys usually just put your tech up and ask what they offer? Do you think this is the best way of doing it , or should I keep asking for more gold to see what the advisor guy says?

9. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

I check what everyone will offer and then ask for as much gpt as I can get from the richest civ. I get techs from the poorer civs and give techs away free to the poorest civs (to make them happy and prevent them from giving all their money to my rich rivals).

Since I am constantly giving out techs for cheap or free, I don't have to worry about their attitude. I squeeze every penny out of the deals where they can pay me.

10. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Japes, I always ask for more gold and then watch the reaction of my advisor. You can squeeze a lot of GPT's out of the deal if you just try.

And I find the tech for GPT-deals very very healthy for my treasury. The best deal I had was about 1000 gpt selling a tech to several civs. Commercial civs are the best for this!!

By the way, I had very early GPT deals with civs and I hardly can imagine that they had Monarchy or Republic at the time.