selling techs?

mitsho

Deity
This is one factor that I really dislike in the game. It really does not make sense to sell techs, perhaps only in the modern age this could be possible. But can you tell me one example in history where this happened? I doubt it. And it inflicts the gameplay much, too much for my opinion.
So my question is, can you explain me, why it's necessary to be able to sell techs?

I'd rather not be able to, but if you have contact with a civ, it's probable that you get their techs and they get yours! Or let's say if x civilizations have the tech A, you'll get this tech too. Only with a special tech, you can make yourself immune to this way of teach losing. But this tech is in the modern age.
Earlier one, you can safe one special tech per era from getting to the others.

What do you think? Am I crazy? :)

mfG mitsho

I also think certian techs, such as religion based techs, should have to be researches by each civ and not be allowed to be traded or stolen. A better option for other techs might be to send scientists/delagates/something to the other civ. to learn the tech with their permission.

lonestar007 said:
A better option for other techs might be to send scientists/delagates/something to the other civ. to learn the tech with their permission.

Isn't that essentially what we already do? You are paying for the right to learn the tech.

But can you tell me one example in history where this happened?
You are right. It never happened because techs never existed that way or permitted the build of wonders with impact similar to those of civ. is also untrue
Construction was never "discoverd" by a single nation or tribe or city state. It was a set of techniques that evolved more or less through experience and exchange. It is also untrue that the building of the Pyramids increased the amount of food or did put a granary in every city.
So the focus here is not historical realism but fun gameplay, and for me technological competition is exactly that...

@Archer 007 And that's what I talked off! Namely of not selling and buying the techs, but they get carried back and forth from the civs. Without a single 'trade' (, but with many many small ones between merchants et cetera...)

@Dell19 no, it isn't. Because now, you get the tech immediately. But if it were like you said, it would have to use up one or two turns (which would be a solution to the problem, I think).

@Garbarsardar.jr hmm, yes, but for me it isn't fun, because I myself like the ancient age the most, and WITH this tech trading, I usually am in the middle ages when the empires are built up. This kills me the fun... I personally would like to have a better tech-selling system for my fun, I accept that it's the other way round for you!

mfG mitsho

because I myself like the ancient age the most
I understand. Probably some modding or a scenario (RoR) would be more pleasent?

mitsho said:
@Dell19 no, it isn't. Because now, you get the tech immediately. But if it were like you said, it would have to use up one or two turns (which would be a solution to the problem, I think).

Remember though that a turn is usually longer than just one year and in general you cannot immediately benefit from the tech until at least one more turn is played as if you upgrade a unit then you cannot use it until the next turn and in general a new building couldn't be built straight away.

Well it's probably how you would interpret the tech swapping.

A- the other civ let's some of your scientists/engineers into their communities. Therefore learning the skills and techniques
B- the other civ gives you certain key documents that were missing from your research project.

Though I agree (game-technically) it's quite a sudden transfer, it is a good system.

I am quite miffed of C3C's tech selling parameters. Previously I could get lotsa cash selling techs to other nations but now they often don't have anything! (monarch btw)

Sometimes they do, it seems to depend on how much contact and trading they are doing with the other AI as to how much money they have and once they buy a tech off you they rarely will have a surplus for qute some time...

@dell19 not quite right, you can use the tech immediately (by swapping to a wonder or selling the tch to another civ). This way, you theoretically could advance from the ancient age to the modern age in one turn (theoretically!). And that's what miffs me up!
Ok, the AI doesn't do this that often, but it happens. And the human players uses it. And that's bad I think.

Perhaps another solution would be that you have to wait one turn to trade it to the next AI and you can only trade with AI that are your neighbours. Who the neighbours are would have to be definated first).

mfG mitsho

That was the 'in general' part and ultimately its not just a problem with how research is treated its also a problem with production in that you can simply switch from building Pyramids to building the Great Library in one turn...

Top Bottom