1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Semi-Finals: Germany vs. Italy

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Inter4, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

Yes, he was mexican.

2. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

Congratulations to him.. I thought the best refs could only be found in Europe. Clearly, I was wrong, that was one of the best performances I've seen.

3. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

why, it's not that he said something nasty, plenty of people post some phrases in there mothertongue here :)

anyway, congrats to Italy, great game (by both teams), but a deserved win :)

4. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

Congrats to Italy. It was in the end deserved, although a German victory earlier would not have been totally undeserved. And considering the situation in Italian football now it is good for them. Congratulations again. However I am still angry about the whole Frings case, so that a tiny "Gschmäckle" still stays.
    OTOH now Klinsmann can't leave before getting the cup in 2010! South Africa, be prepared. And Italy, too ;). We'll meet again.

Adler

5. Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde Dr. techn.

Great game between two real monolithic teams. In the frist half Germany seemed really surprised by the constant tackling which started in the German half, they almost had no chance to play. 2nd half was better from Germany, they somewhat copied the tactics and were more aggressive and went in the infights from the Italian penalty area on, although Italy still seemed to have the upper hand in organisation. I had the impression Germany wanted to increase the tempo of the game and make it "hectic" what the Italians usually don´t like but it didn´t work. The overtime looked favourable for the Italians with the two hits of the post, Germany was only defending/ waiting for a counter attack. This almost worked, but we know the end.
    The referee was OK as he did nothing really controversial, I personally don´t like compromise whistles like the one where the correct decision was to either give penalty (maybe too harsh, but I saw such penalties, usually when the forward is missing a header chance due to the push) or don´t whistle at all.

6. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: this is PDMA, Inter. You know darn well that if a post annoys you for being against forum rules you can report it. If you don't like moderator actions you can discuss that over PM with the moderator himself - never publicly.

To answer your question: I didn't mod it because I hadn't noticed it. And FYI: I really hate the roll-eyes smilie -> don't use that on me.

BTW: Are you aware of the meaning of the colours of the modtags? If not: check the Site-Feedback.

Rik

7. Shigga

Shigga Shiggadelic Baby! :)

I'm devastated. The win was deserved but still it's a tragedy.

A big thank you to our national team. A nation has rediscovered it's pride.

Now we go for the golden banana! :p

8. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Here: it is well deserved !! :banana:

9. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

The Italians were acting a bit more clever. They won deserved. However the German team was only lacking a bit of experience. But there is much potential in the German team, while the Italians reached their top.
    Now we have to win the last game and wait for our chances in 2010. Only about 2.200 days left ;).

Adler

10. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

I'm impressed with the way football has been played by the Italians, Congratulation!

11. Syntherio

Syntherio Prince

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    During regular time it was a game on the same level, but in the end the italian victory was deserved. Del Piero really mixed us up.
    good ref, fair play.
    It feels wrong, to lose a game like this two minutes before the end. But it was the same in the match against Poland, in Dortmund before, wasn´t it?
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

12. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

Beh. Not even a Schwab then..:p

13. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Well, a few things:

- even match in the first 90 minutes
    - afterwards Italy did something unusual for them and exactly the right thing, they decided to play to win, not to hold the result (after all Lippi brought on three, or at least two and a half, forwards while taking just one and a half out at 0-0 :eek: )
    - they had more chances in the overtime and thus it was sort of deserved to win
    - the referee was bad in my view, he did not punish the extremely unfair play by the Italians at the very beginning, especially against Klose, which meant they could that way cancel out the German attack, plus he should either give no foul at all or a penalty in the Podolski situation, a "salomonic" decision is per se a wrong one, he also seemed to hand out yellow cards purely randomly
    - losing in the last minute is always worse than losing on penalties
    - tactical football, i.e. defensive football is the thing at this World Cup, it seems attacking football is dead, even teams who try it don't really stand a chance to produce it against equally good or even better teams who don't do it
    - there are loads of wankers who have nothing better to do than to celebrate anyway, these party *******s should realise that celebrating a win only makes any sense when you also are at least a bit upset about a loss
    - despite being lucky in two matches Italy would make a deserved World Cup winner, albeit not a great one (but neither would the other two remaining teams nor Germany should they have won on penalties again)
    - it's great to care far less about the national team than about the club :D
    This sort of thing has now happened twice this year, the first was far far worse

14. kronic

kronic Deity

Thank god. :p

15. kronic

kronic Deity

Almost all flags are gone btw. :D Only few violent incidents. :)

16. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

Yeah, I started reporting those kind of posts yesterday. From now on I'll report every single non translated post, don't worry.

Hopefully, you don't hate me now ;)

17. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I wonder how Australia would be doing in their place. ;)

18. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

About the foul on Podolski: it the referee had thought it was in the box, he would never whistle a penalty for that...

Picking up where I left before, ie, the first half, where I thought Italy was in control, I think Germany kind of reversed it in the early second half, when Ballack became more integrated in the game, and managed to leave Toni all alnone at front, while Totti exagerated in long passes at first touch, instead of holding the ball, like I think he'do do if he isn't in such atrocious form.
    However, from the middle of the second half on, both teams looked a bit afraid of attacking, and conceding a goal in the counter, so they waited until extra-time.
    In the extra-time, I think that appart from those early shots that hit Lehmann's woodwork, it seemed Germany wanted just a bit more to win before the penalties but didn't have good enough players to score a goal (overall Ballack was very bad), while Italy seemed to have the players, but was a bit more cautious, because they had been through two or three bad moments in german counter attacks.
    Of course now it seems that Lippi was a tactical genius with his substitutions, but the ame was closer to go on penalties and none of that would matter. Though maybe Italy was a bit more deserving, it came down to a fortunate moment, although with a fantastic technical shot by Grosso. His celebration of the goal reminded me of Tardelli's famous run in 1982. :)

However, I think Lippi played his cards to the best he could if the game was to be decided on penalties: he made sure toi end the extra-time with Gilardino, Iaquinta, Del Piero, Totti and Pirlo to shoot them. That was very well thought, but luckily for him, they won before that.

Overall, I think this was one of the best games of the WC so far.

19. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Although I was for Germany, my daughter was for the Italians- so she was
    really happy with the outcome. I feel like the better team won, but if it had
    gone to PKs the Germans may have pulled off the upset ;) . That was some
    shot for the first goal, and the no-look pass from Pirlo was a thing of
    beauty :eek: . It seemed the stronger defense held the day vs the stronger
    offense- the defender in the middle for Italy (tall guy) seems to stop everything :wallbash: .

20. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

Who? Matterazzi? :ack: He was indeed good yesterday, despite his reputation, but the short guy next to him is a monster! Cannavaro is the best defender of this WC, if not the world, imho. And he's only 1.73 m tall :eek: , can´t think of a shorter center back in top football, yet that never shows.