Semi-Finals: Germany vs. Italy

Rhye said:
okay.

but apart from you, I see in general in CFC something against Italy and italians.

I mean, if we take another team, let's say Holland. They have dived a lot with Portugal, much more than Italians, have had their share of red cards, more than italians again, and its supporters have been moaning for days about the referee.
What about England, playing boring catenaccio (that actually isn't real catenaccio, but it has become a common word to describe that kind of playing)?
But nor English or Dutch get this constant bashing. That's just for the italians.
I'm glad to realize that I'm not the only one who felt persecuted. :blush: ;)

After the great victory from France against Spain, I've suddenly felt that all CFC was against Thierry Henry and France. It's only later I realized I was paranoid. :crazyeye:

Now about Italy, apparently that's more a problem of reputation than anything else. I do agree that there are divers in all team, but obviously people will always remember better the Italian divers than the other ones.

I think we're all somewhere influenced by this, myself included of course. It's always the same, people will always see better THE thing which confirm their prejudice than the thing which proved it wrong.

People have seen an Italian diving to get a penalty against Australia... and that's enough to confirm the prejudice. The fact there have been divers in nearly all teams in the competition is suddenly forgotten. That's something properly human, don't feel it as a special treatment made against Italy.

By the way, congratulations for tonight's victory. Even if Buffon has been lucky on a couple of shots, I must say that it was well-deserved. :)

luiz said:
Of course Germany will be the big favourite. It already is the favourite for winning the Cup!
:lol: Brazil are the big favourites. Although they're going out against France. :p

Rik Meleet said:
Italian supporters are the worst and the most unfair in their opinions. Nonsense "Robbed" remarks in 2002. "cunning" remarks after the Australia game and the completely undeserved penalty. Defending De Rossi's elbow and being offended by his sending off.

I'm an American, so I don't care about 2002 and I wouldn't try and defend DeRossi's elbow, but my 1/4 Italian beats my 1/8 German (plus I actually know I have family in Rimini, I know nothing about my German ancestry). So I'll be supporting Italy (I'll also support Brazil a bit out of respect to a friend from Recife, although they are a little too good for me to want them to win).

luiz said:
Of course Germany will be the big favourite. It already is the favourite for winning the Cup!

What worries me about Brazil is that even when playing like crap, they have won all games so far, and by a 2-3 goal margin. Imagine what would happen if they decided to actually play like they are expected to.

I think it's nice to stick to stereotypes and claim Italians are bad losers, cheaters and basically all mama boys...

However, Italy has played well this time, there were games they played defensive (too cautious against Australia), but very entertaining games against Ukraine, Ghana and USA. They have one guy who committed a bad foul (Rossi). I think Italy has played in a style so far, that is far nicer to watch than let's say Holland and England.

Rik, those accusation are a little sad, since the Dutch played ultimate cheating (Robben is one heck of a diver and cheat). So, does that make all Dutch that way? And about 2002: That was absolutely disgusting refereeing, so why do you blame the Italians? Hope this will happen to Holland then also soon.

I think you guys should not always judge teams by their reputation, but how they actually perofm on the pitch. I say, Italy has done well and only conceded a single own goal so far (and yes, they did score: 9:1 to be precise, not exactly catenaggio). Germany hasn't won that yet and I think the Italian style does NOT suit the Germans. I predict Italy will actually pull this off.

A tough game, too. However I think the Italian defence is good, but still worse than the Argentinian' one. So as I thought the Argentinian were the other top favourite I think Germany will this time win. 2:1 or 3:2. However no OT this time.

Adler

This is a list of all the unpleasant things I've seen in this WC so far(I state first that it doesn't mean Italians are saints, no way)

- England: most boring team (even more than Italy...) of the competition but English supporters keep on saying England plays exciting games compared to Italy. They also accuses us of "catenaccio" but they seem to imitate it...:mischief:

- English hooligans sent back home for riots, scuffles and exhibition of nazis symbols. In spite of that the Worst Supporters Award is still won by the Italians.

- Spanish supporters whistle the French national anthem because 90% of the French team is made by coloured people. They still wonder why the hell France seems an african team, passing over the fact that all those players are French in every respect and there's nothing odd about it. Maybe a slightly racist consideration?

- Holland-Portugal: total lack of fair play from both sides. Continuous diving and committing fouls. Cristiano Ronaldo receives a kick in the chest and goes out crying, Figo gives a head butt, Deco behaves like a child of six, and so on... This has been called "a passionate game". On the contrary, I think that was a great performance to demonstrate what is not "sportmanship". Congratulations to Holland and Portugal for having outstandingly showed it. In spite of all this, de Rossi is still waiting for his capital punishment to be executed. His was surely a bad foul, maybe the worst, but this doesn't means Italy is the most faulty and violent team of the WC.

- The fight after Germany-Argentina: Thanks God Italy wasn't involved in it! Otherwise 'til 2010 we would have to stand complaining about Italy's incapability to lose, etc, etc...

That's enough IMO to conclude that there are obviously two standards of evaluation, one for Italy and another for other teams. Don't tell we are self-pitiful, this is certainly true to a certain extent (but I think this is characteristical of "latin" people in general), but if you are just a little objective you know my words are true

I think objectively Italy are favourites to win this match. Also because of the 4-1 earlier this year, though not only because of that. The German team will be better than that time (no Huth, to start with, or so I hope...) and the home advantage will have changed.
I think Italy might make the mistake to sit back and defend. If that happens the German chances are actually the best.

I think Italy might make the mistake to sit back and defend. If that happens the German chances are actually the best.
So far all those teams that sat back have been punished, will those coaches ever learn their lesson?

It would be best that both team defend for 120 minutes, then go for penalties.

I really wish to watch a France - Germany Final, so i will be supporting the Germans for this game!

And with all the Italians living near me, i couldn't stand them snobing me for a month or two if they beat us in Final ;)

I think the Italians will win the match and the WC in the final against France!
Italy knows how to play quality football regardless of what people say.

I think it's the 10th time that Germany made it into the semis at the WC. :)

I think it's the 10th time that Germany made it into the semis at the WC.
I think it's nine, trying to be pendantic here :lol:

as much as it is deserved this time, it was often a combination of luck and awful games in recent times like 1982, 1986, 2002

Wiki says it's 11. :D

11? do they count EC as well :crazyeye:

54/66/70/74/82/86/90/02/06 IIRC

You forgot 34 and 58. :p

Top Bottom