Sending a delegation

Preying

Chieftain
Can anyone clear up how the game is supposed to work in regards to sending an AI a delegation on the turn you meet them. I believe when the game first came out I could no matter what, send them one.

However for what seems like at least 2 years now, I have only 10% chance of successfully sending a delegation on the first turn of meeting an AI. I've accepted this as just how the game works now after updates and DLC however I recently watched a content creator play game and someone in the chat asked him about the same issue i am having because the content creator said they have a 100% success rate of sending a delegation on the first turn and that its an intended game mechanic.

If it helps I play on deity, don't have any mods installed and have all the DLC apart from a scenario pack.

If it helps I play on deity, don't have any mods installed and have all the DLC apart from a scenario pack
If you bump into an Ai on your turn it should be 100%... if they bump into you on deity first impressions will count for when you ask them for delegation in your turn although their mood will not have shifted so I believe it is about a 20% chance of them saying yes
At least that is how I understand it now. I have not tested but have seen this failure also, but only when they bump into me. And this used to be 10-0% also so understandably someone else may assume.
So by content creator you mean modder? Streamer? Firaxis developer?

Interesting. I tested this again today to make sure I was meeting them on my turn, and I managed to meet 3 different civs whilst moving my scout at which point their mood icon in the top right showed no emotion towards me yet but when I tried to send them a delegation they refused, so I checked their relationship modifier and i believe Rome was -7 for unknown reason and the other 2 were something similar, though not as high as -7 still enough to have a frown expression on their icons the following turn.

The content creator I am referring to is Potato McWhiskey, who I believe you are familiar with as I recall you posting about his choice of settling position for a city once upon a time. I left out the name in case it is against the rules to advertise/promote a stream. (I should read the rules)

I downloaded OBS to record the test I ran, if you have time to check it out, I would like to know if I am doing something wrong here. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/470741251
I just found Australia at -8 and asked for an envoy before opening any panel and they said yes.
Load this and scout bottom right move onto the stone to find the ozzies.
Can you make friends... because I certainl;y can at -8. I even tried opening other panels like you.
I'll meet some other civs and see.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0022.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Wow that's interesting, they accepted the delegation. I wonder what is causing this issue. I tried reinstalling the game but that didn't help, maybe I need to go into the files and edit something. I wouldn't want to change something important by accident though. Either way thanks for the file, now I'm confidant this is a bug affecting some players.

Wow that's interesting, they accepted the delegation. I wonder what is causing this issue. I tried reinstalling the game but that didn't help, maybe I need to go into the files and edit something. I wouldn't want to change something important by accident though. Either way thanks for the file, now I'm confidant this is a bug affecting some players.
Glad to help and continue to with this problem. Just met 5 more and all 5 said yes I hate you but I’ll take your envoy.
I have never re-installed, maybe it’s a legacy install thing... just trying to think outside the box.

I haven't played enough games and payed enough attention to say anything about chances, my experience is they always take one on the first turn.
Victoria, you say you make friends from -8 (assuming you aren't talking about a 100 turns later when you happened to have fulfilled their agenda(s) and they suddenly started to like you)
I noticed that when i meet them, they are neutral, so i send delegation and give maps, for +6 while they have for example a -5 bias. Next turn they are still unhappy and the slider is at something like 30%. So they start at a negative, but it doesn't count on the first turn.

I have once or twice tried giving 150g for the maximum +10 from gifts, but it seemed far too little to get that slider positive. About how much of an effort do you make to get that -8 guy to befriend you ? Do you have an idea of the numerical scale of the slider, is it linear ? what numbers should roughly be where ?

I noticed that when i meet them, they are neutral,
I tested this a lot a long time ago.
On the turn you meet them or the turn they send you a delegation you can get a delegation with them guaranteed. If say after that they are neutral but +2 first impressions they can still turn you down.

what i mean is, there is the per turn number, that we can see and influence. But there is also that green/red slider that represents the cumulative of that number over time.
The civs seem to meet you both with a per turn bias, but also with a bias on that slider although it is not visible on the first turn. (Are these biases related or seperately random?)

Problem is, that slider doesn't have a scale, so i don't know at what number it is and many points per turn i have to get for how long to get it over 50% so i can get friends.

I haven't got much experience trying if it doesn't happen easilly because it either started high, or during the game, it naturally grew high because i am fullfiling the civ's agendas.
Do you have some wisdom to share about that ? (or is that too off-topic as the threat is just about the delegation ?)

I believe I now know what the issue is. I was, and have been playing on online speed for years now which correlates to when I noticed this change in AI behaviour. I always just attributed it to a patch or update but I just tested the interaction on all game speeds and the AI accepted my delegation on standard, epic and marathon, but declined it on quick and online speed. I am unsure if this is an intended game mechanic on faster game speeds or not, but it seems to be consistent with everything we know so far.

Top Bottom