Resource icon

Sengoku Monogatari - Civilisations of the Rising Sun and Beyond

Homusubi

Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe
I'm back, people, and I'm ready to split Japan into way too many parts once again!

Sengoku Monogatari aims to recreate, and in some ways improve on, Civ 5's Rising Sun mod by creating regional Japanese civilisations along with representations of other nearby civs such as the Ainu. In particular, thanks to Civ 6's multiple leader system, it is now possible to tell the story of each part of Japan in itself, as well as simply the product of great daimyo.

Initial TSL plan
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Agh, never much liked this whole resource manager business.

Here's Sengoku Monogatari's first civ!

Satsuma - Saigo Takamori

Saigo Takamori Leader Ability: The Last Samurai
Units receive +7 Combat Strength when fighting an enemy unit from a later era.

Saigo Takamori Agenda: Meiji Backlash
Likes civs that are strong in both Science and Culture. Hates civs that are strong in Science, but weak in Culture.

Satsuma Unique Ability: Wakon Yosai
Trading Posts at international destinations grant +1 additional Science and Culture to all Satsuma trade routes that pass through them. Receive a free Inspiration upon building a Campus.

Satsuma Unique Unit: Tanegashima
Replaces the Musketman. Costs half as much Production when built in cities on the coast.

Satsuma Unique Building: Ijinkan
Replaces the University. Provides an extra Trade Route slot. Trade Routes from other civilisations to cities with an Ijinkan grant 1 Culture to the trade route owner and 1 Science to Satsuma. Does not provide the normal Science flat bonuses.

Last edited:
Ainu is released!

Ainu - Samkusaynu (Shakushain) and Shigeru Kayano

Ainu Unique Ability: Kamuy Yukar
Gain extra yields in the capital when a Great Person is activated and for every turn after for the rest of the game (+1 for Cultural Great People, +3 otherwise).

Ainu Unique Unit: Surku Archer
Replaces the Archer. Stronger than the regular version and can move through Forest unhindered.

Ainu Unique District: Kotan
Replaces the Neighbourhood. Grants +3 Housing regardless of Appeal. Grants bonus Culture and Food for each adjacent Woods, Mountain, and Natural Wonder tile. Cannot be constructed adjacent to the City Centre. Available at Construction.

--------

Samkusaynu Leader Ability: United Against the Shamo
Great Generals are earned 33% faster and spawn with bonus military units (1 unit for every 5 Population in your Capital).

Samkusaynu Leader Agenda: For a Free Mosir
Hates civs with a strong military; likes civs with a weak military. Does not tend to offer Open Borders agreements.

--------

Shigeru Kayano Leader Ability: The Kayano Hoard
Kotan districts provide 1 Tourism, increasing to 2 Tourism after researching the Cultural Heritage civic. Allows for the construction of the Nibutani Museum.

Shigeru Kayano Unique Building: Nibutani Museum
Replaces the Archaeology Museum. Archaeologists produced in a city with a Nibutani Museum ignore all terrain cost and require three quarters as much Production as usual.

Shigeru Kayano Leader Agenda: Our Land was a Forest
Loves civs which plant second-growth forests. Dislikes civs which remove terrain features.

Here's Osaka!

Osaka - Oshio Heihachiro

Oshio Heihachiro Leader Ability: Yomei
Gold and Faith yields are increased by 10% when at war with at least one other major civilisation.

Oshio Heihachiro Leader Agenda: The Completion of Knowing
Likes civs that are at war with at least one other power. Does not like civs that are not fighting any wars.

Osakan Unique Ability: Kitchen Under Heaven
+1 Production, Gold, and Culture from Fishing Boats and from any tile adjacent to one. All cities capable of producing Manzai Duo units gain +2 Amenities.

Osakan Unique Unit: Manzai Duo
Replaces the Missionary. Can participate in Theological Combat, but cannot perform any other religious action. Is purchased with Gold instead of Faith. Is unlocked with the Mercantilism civic.

Osakan Unique Building: Rice Exchange
Replaces the Market. Provides Food equal to the Gold output of the Commercial Hub district tile. All improved Bonus Resources (excluding those from Mines and Quarries) in a city with a Rice Exchange provide an extra +1 Housing along with 1 Gold if worked.

The north remembers!

Tohoku - Date Masamune

Date Masamune Leader Ability: One-Eyed Dragon
Units within one tile of a Great General do not suffer combat penalties from being damaged. Unlocks the Kiba Teppotai unique unit.

Date Masamune Leader Unique Unit: Kiba Teppotai
A Renaissance Era cavalry unit unique to Tohoku when led by Date Masamune. Functions as a melee unit for combat calculation and promotion purposes.

Date Masamune Leader Agenda: Date Maru
Likes civs who trade with Tohoku who have a home continent different to that of Tohoku. Dislikes civs with different home continents that do not trade with Tohoku.

Tohoku Unique Ability: Oku no Hosomichi
Each Mountain tile within a city's limits provides half a Great Writer point to the city per turn. Temples provide a slot for a Great Work of Writing.

Tohoku Unique Unit: White Tiger
An Industrial Era melee unit unique to Tohoku. Can be trained normally or purchased with Faith, but not with Gold. Generates Culture and Great Writer points when killing an enemy unit. Unlocked with the Scorched Earth civic.

Tohoku Unique Improvement: Matagi Camp
+1 Food and +1 Culture. Additional +1 Food and +1 Culture if adjacent to a regular Camp. Each Matagi Camp in a city provides +3 XP to ranged units trained in the city. Must be built on Woods.

Have you hear of the game Total War: Shogun 2? The campaign mode in that game has multiple clans you can play as each with their own unique play style. It would be a nice play to draw inspiration from for more clan mods.

Yeah, I've played Shogun 2 quite a bit actually. However, with Sengoku Monogatari, although the next release will be pretty Sengoku focused (although not entirely), I'm trying to move towards mods that relate to the regions in general rather than only relating to their clan history.

(And besides, I doubt I'd be able to find five uniques for, say, the Sogo!)

I quite enjoyed Shigeru Kayano's Ainu. That's the only one of these that I've tried so far, though. Here's to hoping I can play Ryukyu despite not having R&F.

I really enjoyed playing with these mods, and I'm building a TSL map just for them, and making good progress! But I did notice something - whenever the Ainu are enabled, archaeologists fail to work for everyone but Shigeru Kayano (actually, I haven't checked with Samkusaynu, but I have a hunch he won't be able to use them properly either.). Basically, anyone else can build archaeologists, but when they excavate an artifact, you can choose the artifact, and the game registers its excavation for the purposes of Eurekas and Era Score, and the Antiquity Site/Shipwreck is removed, but the artifact doesn't appear in the museum and the Archaeologist is deleted. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this, as it makes archaeologists useless for everyone but the Ainu.

Top Bottom