Sengoku - Sword of the Shogun, any advice?

Zandrew

The Black Knight
The Sengoku Conquest seems very popular but I can't find any threads about strategies for it. Anyone care to share their experiences and/or advice?

I take my Daimyo out and use him to kill other Daimyo pretty much immediately. If you wait too long, your opponents will get stronger. But a Daimyo and two Swordsmen (I forget what they're called in the scenario but it uses the Swordsman image) can often take a foreign capital and wipe another Civ off the map quite quickly. Daimyo will retreat when losing unless they're fighting another Daimyo, so basically I use my Daimyo to kill their swordsmen and my swordsmen to kill their Daimyo.

Note: before I perfected the Avoid-Daimyo-on-Daimyo-Violence strategy, this was exceedingly risky, and I have lost games in as little as 45 seconds doing it that way. But when it pays off, it pays off big. Otherwise everyone else will very quickly crowd the map.

It is a very military scenario. I consider it the opposite of the Age of Discovery.

Also: turn on color-blind help, as you will find it impossible to keep track of all the other clans otherwise.

Create hordes of Stone Archers and Bushi (3.2.1 Swordsmen equivalents) and use them to overrun the AI. Ignore non-capitals, just kill Daimyos. You should be able to kill 5-6 other tribes before they get Spearmen (1.3.1 in this scenario). After that, you'll need more firepower. Also, play as either the Oda, Mori or (my favorite) the Hojo, as they have the best start locations.

Need some advice. I'm playing as Hojo, Regent level.
I've got to Samurai swordsman/mounted samurai level,
nice big civ, but now Takeda are coming to shaft me.

If I destroy the cities that secure his iron resources, will his
iron dependent units disappear?

Antid

Originally posted by adam73
If I destroy the cities that secure his iron resources, will his
iron dependent units disappear?

Antid

No, he'll be able to complete building any units in progress, but after that he won't be able to build more. It's still a good idea to cut his iron though just to keep him from making more good units, plus he wont be able to upgrade his Daimyo.

I like Cuivienen's idea of going after capitals to kill the Daimyos. When you do that ALL their cities should disappear!

I like taking all there other cities first that way I won't have to build my own cities in the void thats left once you kill a civ off

Thanks a lot for the excellent advice you guys and keep it coming! I started my first try at this last night, regent level, and by coincidence picked a popular tribe: Hojo. I picked them just because the name sounds funny, but they definitely have a nice starting location. My second city grabbed 5 luxuries and iron! I expect to be killing Daimyos all weekend!

Mojo Hojo!

I completely agree with JM here. Your Daimyo can be constantly upgraded for a reason. He is the leader of your military, use him! Keep him moving, keep troops with him, and keep him upgraded. He will lead your army to victory if you let him.

While playing this scenario, I remember avoiding the capitals of two civs that I conquered until every single one of their other cities were in my hands. (I forgot about the destruction of all the cities with the death of the daimyo with the first civ I took over) And I always had a settler ready to fill the space where the former capital was. I won this one by domination.

I never used my Daimyo in a military sense until I added him to an Army. I feel it's too risky having him running around as a single unit.

Anyway. The biggest hint you can get is to keep expanding. You should be forever expanding your territory. Going for enemy capitals are good but make sure you steal a few towns first on the border as normally the other clans will produce settlers faster then you can and therefore the enemy lands which you have just conquered will simply be filled with another enemy.

Hojo and Oda had the best starting postion historically, but Mori ? cummon they were just fanatics...

The Takeda also have an excellent starting position. Rivers abound for extra trade and plenty of resources. I also sent my troops out right away to explore and garnered an early tech lead that I have yet to relinquish. I took out several enemies completely before they had any real defensive units; nothing other than the standard Ashigaru.

I have really enjoyed this scenario, even though the tech tree is so foreign (and rightfully so) that I was constantly referring to the Civilopedia.

A question: has anyone who has played this scenario in its enitrety noticed any probs with Ninjas? I looked at their stats and they seem pretty potent. Does the AI use them often, and how difficult are they to defend against? Is it necessary to post a Yamabuchi in every city to stage preemptive attacks?

Thanks!

Thanks Zandrew. I restarted as Hojo and went off with my two
ashiguris and daiymo to knock off the Takeda. Now I control most of the northern 2/3s of the island. There are a couple of piss poor civs to my north, and one down just left of the isthmus.

We'll see how it goes. Got Bushi already, I think I'll go on a rampage.

Cheers,

Adam

I like Mori myself. :-D

It's 1529 and I'm up to 32% territory and 20% pop.
The Tokugawa decided to come pick a fight. Just knocked off
their only city with access to iron.

I have two questions concerning armies. Is it possible to unload
an army, and is a victorious unit (grandmaster) more or less likely to create a second army than another grandmaster who has not yet created an army?

With the Takeda out of theway it's actually quite easy. I think the AI is loaded in its favour. In the previous game I investigated the Takeda capital. Must have had about 25 frontline (Samurai of one kind or another) troops but was still producing city developments to equal my own.

Anyway, thanks for the help,

Adam

First game I tried as Oda. Got hit badly by both Takeda and Hojo.
The Mori do have a nice position, but there isn't a lot of room to expand in.

Since I killed off the Takeda, the Hojo have played great. There are 2 one city-civs to the NE & NW that I will go and destroy, and then the Date. There2s no real competition once you get rid of the Takeda, and all the others are jostling for limited space in the centre of the island, so they effectively cancel each other out.

Any opinions as to the best GW in this scenario? Missed out on Sun Tzu, but may have a stab at the GL?

Adam

Grandmasters who have already produced Leaders cannot produce anymore. Just like the normal game with Elites.

Originally posted by adam73
First game I tried as Oda. Got hit badly by both Takeda and Hojo.
The Mori do have a nice position, but there isn't a lot of room to expand in.

Since I killed off the Takeda, the Hojo have played great. There are 2 one city-civs to the NE & NW that I will go and destroy, and then the Date. There2s no real competition once you get rid of the Takeda, and all the others are jostling for limited space in the centre of the island, so they effectively cancel each other out.

Any opinions as to the best GW in this scenario? Missed out on Sun Tzu, but may have a stab at the GL?

Adam

The good thing with the Mori is that they have a natural choke point that you can reach if you're a decent player. Do you see the place where there is two hills, a mountain, a lake and then on the other side another small few tiles before the ocean? My empire stretched from the southern island right the way to that, where I had Samuria Musketmen guys holed up in fortress' across the border. If you can reach that then you're pretty much impregnabable.

Whoa, I played Hojo too and did almost the same thing! I picked off my nearest neighbours... at least until I got Hojutsu, at which point I upgraded my Shogun and went on a mad rampage destroying everything, I was able to do this because my enemies did not expand and I did. I controlled about 70% of the world's population before the battles started, and about 30% of the land; I'd say about 30% of the land was uncontrolled and the rest spread amoung about ten civs.

Top Bottom